A reason I prefer torrent links over magnet links

Question

When you opened a .torrent, uTorrent would pop up on my machine and display a list of files to choose to download before you began.

This does not happen with magnet links - the file list is blank.

I can click OK then manually un-choose files via. the Files tab in uTorrent but I preferred to choose before the torrent even began connecting.

Yeah you get the same thing, but if there is a collection of things you are seeking and you already have two of them, which weighs over 2 GB, this would suck wouldn't it? As explained by the OP

Yeah you get the same thing, but if there is a collection of things you are seeking and you already have two of them, which weighs over 2 GB, this would suck wouldn't it? As explained by the OP

As I said, you can still choose in the Files tab but this is only after you've started the download.

Here's how to do it: click on the magnet link to open it in uTorrent. As soon as it starts, immediately pause it and give it a minute or so. Then you can go to the file list and select what you want to download. Slightly more of a hassle, but it is possible to do.

I wouldn't be suprised if this is a feature that gets added to uTorrent soon, I'm sure it'll be a popular request. A file box on Magnet links that is.

The way I understand it, the first thing the magnet link downloads is essentially a torrent file from the swarm, which is why it takes a minute before the file list shows up. That's why the method I just describes works, since it still downloads that torrent even when paused.

why would you care what that hive of scum does ? it's a pure pirate site, whatever is not priated there is better to get eslewhere, whatever is pirated there is also better to get elsewhere if you care for that sort of thing... public trackers... hive of leeches.

So when using a magnetic link, what would be the factor on which the downloading speed will depend?

That is, for .torrent files, the more the seed/peer ratio, the better the speed.

Is it the same with magnetic links?

So when using a magnetic link, what would be the factor on which the downloading speed will depend?

That is, for .torrent files, the more the seed/peer ratio, the better the speed.

Yes, it is the same. Once you get connected to other peers and seeders, they operate exactly the same. It is just the initial connection that works somewhat differently.

The concept of Seeders and leachers is still valid for magnet links

The only difference is, rather than downloading the torrent file from a website, a magnet link connects you to peers who have that torrent and downloads the torrent file from them instead.

I personally prefer .torrent links solely because I can determine which files are downloaded and which folder the download goes in (based on whether or not the torrent already contains folders). ?Torrent could add this feature by downloading the torrent from the swarm prior to showing the file dialog and continuing from there with the torrent. With TPB strictly using magnet links, I guess it's back to Demonoid for me. However, I must say TPB is operating much quicker now.

It's nice to see that the piratebay actually loads now, also if anyone else out there is a bit peculiar about what version of uTorrent they use magnet links are added in uTorrent 1.8.5, personally I've been using 1.6 for 5 years I can't stand the horrible UI in uTorrent 2+, but 1.8 still has the old school UI.

Edit: Satukoro if you stop the download you should be able to right click the files and click relocate?

Can't you just tell it to not start the download immediately, then manually select it once you hit okay and pick and choose the files? Or does it only work when pausing/stopping it once it's started so it can download the info it needs initially? If so uTorrent could fix this pretty easily as someone else suggested, show the download dialog after it gets the info from the swarm when using magnet links.