A new SNES game is getting released in 2013

If you ever needed proof that you can never keep a good console down, here it is: Super Fighter Team, a small developer and publisher based in California, will be releasing new game Nightmare Busters for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System next year.

screenshot_278483_thumb_wide940.jpg

Yes, that's a new title for a system released 22 years ago, and the first new game released for SNES since 1998.

According to the game's official site, Nightmare Busters is a "masterful run and gun game." There's nothing more beyond that description, but Super Fighter Team expects to release more details shortly.

Due to pricey production costs the game will set North American customers back $68 and international ones $75. The initial run of Nightmare Busters is limited to 600 copies. It'll be region-free, so if you're up for a spending a little quality time with your SNES you can pre-order it now.

In other Nintendo news, the platform holder has teased 3DS owners with the prospect of new Zelda games in the near future.

I had a weird dream a few nights ago that there was some kind of war and all of our technology got set back 20 years, so they started making Super Nintendo games again. I woke up remembering that much.

• Like 2

So cool! And I still have my SNES, too. Not sure if I'll want to shell out that much for this game... but how cool that they're doing it :D

I saw this video on reddit of the "game"

That video was from 3 years ago and this game is going to be released in 2013?

..and here I was being happy I found 1 picture. (not fake, it's from the devs)

Guess they are your usual 16-bit/retrogames recycling crooks if that vid is 3 yrs old. Thanks for the video, dude.

h94kw.jpg

It's not really new... they took (or bought?) an old prototype game that was never released from the 90's. You can play the ROM now but I wonder how much these guys had to add to it to make it a "complete" game.

Hmm the SNES was great in the day but there are so many of decent indy games are about and the rest of the games are available to play via an emulator... I find it hard to fathom this is worth buying other than to say you bought it.

It's not really new... they took (or bought?) an old prototype game that was never released from the 90's. You can play the ROM now but I wonder how much these guys had to add to it to make it a "complete" game.

Plus it's being released in 2013? Why so long?

I haven't been a fan of Nintendo recently either but I'm not sure what this has to do with Nintendo, Aergan? Other than these guys are releasing a game for a system that's 22 years old which happens to be the console that brought a LOT of people into video gaming. My second favorite console right after the almighty Dreamcast.

hmmmm

Release retro game on retro system

Appeal to a target crowd stuck in the past

Limited release to make it seem more obscure and important

Profit

I'm not sure there's that much profit to be made really.... How many people are going to order a SNES game at this point?

Why not just port it and release as an indy pc game? Seems a bit pointless imho.

That or XBL/PSN. Heck even on Wii it would be great for virtual console, but cartridges? Hmm unless you got a working Snes or a Clone machine, as i said pointless.

• 4 weeks later...

This is cool; however, in the video it seems like the music is stuttering or the beat has a lot of drops in it.

It's the video itself that has issues.

Here you can see the alpha/beta in action. The game's ROM has been floating around for around 4 years from what I can gather.

The music still sounds weird, but it's much better. I kinda like it actually!

I'm going to be the douche bag who comes in and says "this is stupid..." ... This is stupid.

Yeah, I like retro stuff, too, but this isn't profitable or sensible beyond being a bit of a pretentious novelty for ultra nerds.

I can think of better **** to spend my $75 on.

• 1 month later...