Windows 8 Consumer Preview Discussion

still nothing on theproduct key? I just attempted to install by booting by cd and still needed a product key.

Its in the first post of this thread.

don't get too excited. :p

Ahh damn. :( Well there goes my only reason to upgrade then. :(

still nothing on the product key? I just attempted to install by booting by cd and still needed a product key.

DNJXJ-7XBW8-2378T-X22TX-BKG7J

Its posted on the first page in comments and all that.

ok so from my understanding the ESD version is to do an upgrade from like windows 7 to windows 8 and only do that . cause if that is correct then all use the ESD

There is also a C2R-based upgrader (those of you that participated in the earlier InstallFair - this is what we were testing) that can be used for upgrades (including from the WDP, which I am doing as I type this).

So there's three ways - ISO (all clean installs), ESD (upgrade installs from Windows 7) and C2R (upgrade installs from Windows 7 and the WDP).

O god. What did I do..lol

Upgrading didn't go very well it seems. Ended up with a weird two desktop version, broken HTMl5 apps and BSOD's :) So I'm going clean..

Edit: Downloads are getting very slow for me. Normally I get like 5-6MB per second. Now it's like 700kb/sec.

Hopefully It will not BSOD before the download is finished :)

Edit 2: They keep falling back. Now it's like 400kb/sec..

Hopefully someone post the X64 ISO on Usenet as soon as possible.

Anyone dual booting with Windows 7? I have a empty drive and am wondering if I should do that.

Its posted on the first page in comments and all that.

I love you I wwill buy you a beer later

Was getting 5MB/s but now down to 3MB+

http://iso.esd.micro...bit-English.iso - ENGLISH ISO X64

http://iso.esd.micro...4bit-French.iso - FRENCH ISO X64

http://iso.esd.micro...4bit-German.iso - GERMAN ISO x64

http://iso.esd.micro...it-Japanese.iso - Japanese ISO x64

post-698-0-56206600-1330526532.png

You use Internet Explorer Manager to do a download? You gotta be ****ting me. Go install Internet Download Manager and make 16 connections with it.

Use the 32-bit version, I'm typing from VMWare 8 right now.

Im installing the 32bit version into vmware now. did a Sha1 hast check on the x64 and it was fine, so must be a problem with VMware and the x64 version

O god. What did I do..lol

Upgrading didn't go very well it seems. Ended up with a weird two desktop version, broken HTMl5 apps and BSOD's :) So I'm going clean..

Edit: Downloads are getting very slow for me. Normally I get like 5-6MB per second. Now it's like 700kb/sec.

Hopefully It will not BSOD before the download is finished :)

Edit 2: They keep falling back. Now it's like 400kb/sec..

Hopefully someone post the X64 ISO on Usenet as soon as possible.

It automatically upgrades if you use the Autorun, you need to go and install via the Setup.exe on the .iso, unless something has changed, then choose the Custom Install option.

You use Internet Explorer Manager to do a download? You gotta be ****ting me. Go install Internet Download Manager and make 16 connections with it.

Woudln't go any faster, i'm on a 30Mbps line so 3-4MB is my fastest. Those things are so outdated since the days of IE6. When servers and connections were slow then yeah sure it made sense but Microsoft will full my pipes with anything used to download.

Woudln't go any faster, i'm on a 30Mbps line so 3-4MB is my fastest. Those things are so outdated since the days of IE6. When servers and connections were slow then yeah sure it made sense but Microsoft will full my pipes with anything used to download.

But...but...but MORE connections has to be better !!! :rofl:

Firing it up now in VMware. Hopefully they've improved my gripes with the Metro interface on desktops and laptops.

It feels the exact same as the dev preview to me. Although I dislike it even more because there is no start menu in this one. Unless an option to enable it becomes available, that alone is going to make up my mind to stay with Windows 7 (mind you the god awful start page is a reason in itself).

None of the apps on the start page will even launch, they all crash when I click them, and what apps do work take me into the desktop mode. Granted, I prefer the desktop over the start screen, but it still feels very broken.

Downloading it now on my MBP. Will install it using VirtualBox to see what its like then I might replace Windows 7 on my Boot Camp.

I really wonder how Microsoft imagined this could be used professionally. Maybe I haven't played with it enough, but it completely changes the idea of 'multitasking'... :wacko: