Windows 8 Consumer Preview Discussion

This is for the iPad crowd and they can't use more than one App at once, completely dumbed down for the tablet crowd.

Or you could use the Desktop... Seriously, it hasn't taken anything away except the start menu. As for multitasking in Metro, move your mouse to the lower left, and then move it upwards.

if this is the route they are taking then I will be more and more tempted to buy a mac. Why have they made it so hard to get into the control panel? When do I have to log off before I can shutdown? Why have they got rid of the start button, it was far easier to click that to open the metro interface than clicking a empty corner....

This is for the iPad crowd and they can't use more than one App at once, completely dumbed down for the tablet crowd.

That's basically what a lot of people, including myself, have been saying from the very start. Windows 8 will probably make a decent tablet OS, however as a desktop OS it just isn't convincing me.

Yeah because the desktop is gone and you can't use that to run multiple apps like always..... oh wait.

omfg I love this OS.. To me this is better than Windows 7. I still have all the things Win 7 has, except more.

I honestly don't understand how, I've been playing with it for the past hour, it feels like a very broken interface slapped over a messed up version of windows 7.

I honestly don't understand how, I've been playing with it for the past hour, it feels like a very broken interface slapped over a messed up version of windows 7.

After I got used to Metro, I've been flying through this faster than I do in Windows 7. I just had to get used to the gestures, and the way the start screen works.

After I got used to Metro, I've been flying through this faster than I do in Windows 7. I just had to get used to the gestures, and the way the start screen works.

It's not working at all for me, the time it takes me to open a new program, or find a program I want with Windows 8, I can do 3 times over in Windows 7. Gestures are for touch, not mice.

Hell, I can't even get metro apps to exit.

Just thought I'd clarify one thing about Setup...

The "keep nothing" option is a completely clean install. However, it will install to the same drive you're currently booted from, and your old OS (and Program Files + Users folder) will be moved into a Windows.old folder.

If you want to do a custom install to a different drive, you'll want to boot to the ISO (via DVD or USB drive). Hope that helps! Have fun :-)

if this is the route they are taking then I will be more and more tempted to buy a mac. Why have they made it so hard to get into the control panel? When do I have to log off before I can shutdown? Why have they got rid of the start button, it was far easier to click that to open the metro interface than clicking a empty corner....

win + control + enter

Press the power button on your machine to shut down

The start button was redundant, it's on your keyboard

Just thought I'd clarify one thing about Setup...

The "keep nothing" option is a completely clean install. However, it will install to the same drive you're currently booted from, and your old OS (and Program Files + Users folder) will be moved into a Windows.old folder.

If you want to do a custom install to a different drive, you'll want to boot to the ISO (via DVD or USB drive). Hope that helps! Have fun :-)

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up, wasn't sure that the install was similar between DVD and USB, I'm exploring the option of dual booting since I'm actually using a VM at the moment.

thats funny x64 version win8 could not be installed hw incompatible

running i5 750 8gb ram

Hmm..

It's not working at all for me, the time it takes me to open a new program, or find a program I want with Windows 8, I can do 3 times over in Windows 7. Gestures are for touch, not mice.

Hell, I can't even get metro apps to exit.

You'd be surprised, it's really intuitive for me. For instance if I launch weather, Store and xbox live games, and then I want to close one, or switch between the two, I just move my mouse to the lower left in Metro, then move my mouse up the left side of the screen and I get a set of preview images. It actually takes me the same amount of time to open Chrome in Windows 8 than it does in 7.

Windows 7 - Log in, click the chrome button.

Windows 8 - Log in, metro appears, click the Chrome button on the start screen.

I had doubts about Windows Live integration, and it conflicting with WLM, however the OS seems to remember my ID, and automatically signs me into WLM.

win + control + enter

Press the power button on your machine to shut down

The start button was redundant, it's on your keyboard

Considering I ripped mine off of my keyboards, due to fat-fingering it many times during gaming. It was far from redundant.

So i've tried it today and um I really think this is one of the worst things Microsoft has ever done. Instead of reducing Metro integration or giving us an off switch Metro integration has just been increased. Now the start button itself is gone as are many of the desktop apps. I can no longer find a desktop version of RDC for example. It is in Metro only now?

This is just pathetic how they are screwing over content creators, developers and anyone who uses their computer for more than Facebook. I know that they are trying to make windows as accessible to as many people as possible and it appears to do that they've had to build everything down to the lowest common denominator.

I can't believe I'm even going to say this but I'm not going to be upgrading to this. And I've upgraded my PC's to 95, 98, 98 SE, 2000, XP, Vista and 7. I even use a Windows Server 2008 R2 server (Which previously ran Windows Server 2003). I really am just in a state of shock that Microsoft has ruined the computing experience for so many of their customers.

If they wanted to get out of the desktop computer game this will definitely help.

You'd be surprised, it's really intuitive for me.

To each their own, I feel it completely stupid having to draw on my screen with the mouse for it to do anything. Based on the time I've spent the past hour with it, unless metro can be removed, and tiles disabled, and a start menu brought back, windows 8 is not for me.

Considering I ripped mine off of my keyboards, due to fat-fingering it many times during gaming. It was far from redundant.

Put them back on? All laptops, desktop keyboards and windows tablets have a hardware windows key.