Windows 8 Consumer Preview Discussion

I hope the first person to get it up and running posts some screenshots.

They will also be the first on Neowin to have the CP

They will deserve a beer.

Microsoft provides a Setup program that's supposed to give you an iso up to 25% smaller, and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it? If so, I've got some questions :D

1.Is the version of the WCP that's provided by the setup program a clean install or upgrade?

2.After it finishes downloading, will it do ANYTHING automatically? I'm going to leave my laptop alone for multiple hours while it downloads, and I don't want it autorestarting or anything until I get back and start the install.

3.How can it make the file 25% smaller?

4.Is it possible (as it was with the WDP) to mount the ISO file for the WCP inside of Windows and then simply install from there, or do I have to have a DVD/USB?

Thanks!

Microsoft provides a Setup program that's supposed to give you an iso up to 25% smaller, and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it? If so, I've got some questions :D

1.Is the version of the WCP that's provided by the setup program a clean install or upgrade?

2.After it finishes downloading, will it do ANYTHING automatically? I'm going to leave my laptop alone for multiple hours while it downloads, and I don't want it autorestarting or anything until I get back and start the install.

4.Is it possible (as it was with the WDP) to mount the ISO file for the WCP inside of Windows and then simply install from there, or do I have to have a DVD/USB?

Thanks!

The ESD is used for upgrades, and it's smaller (by about a third) than the same-bitness clean-install ISO. (I grabbed the ESD first for upgrade testing in VMs - took a surprisingly small - considering it's x64 - twenty minutes - and this via IE9.)

Thanks!

Yes, mount the .iso file, then navigate to the iso contents and choose Setup, do not install from the Autorun. Once setup starts, choose Custom Install, and choose the partition that you intend to install Windows 8 to, and once you're in WIn 8, change the boot priority to Windows 7, otherwise it'll half-boot Windows 8, and when you choose Win 7, it'll reboot the machine into Windows 7, which is a messy way to do it.

If you intend to do it by this method, grab the .iso, not the .esd from the Downloader.

The ESD is used for upgrades, and it's smaller (by about a third) than the same-bitness clean-install ISO. (I grabbed the ESD first for upgrade testing in VMs - took a surprisingly small - considering it's x64 - twenty minutes - and this via IE9.)

The ISO still has the upgrade option as well, i hope? I'm already downloading the iso and would hate to have to cancel that and download the ESD to upgrade from Dev. Preview.

Ummm anyone know about the product key? Just tried to install and it is asking for a product key.

It's been posted.

Now we're going to have a thread about the first who installs it :b

x64 failing to boot in VMware Workstation 8.0.1. I installed it as a other operating system. Might try telling VMware it is windows7 instead.

Yes, mount the .iso file, then navigate to the iso contents and choose Setup, do not install from the Autorun. Once setup starts, choose Custom Install, and choose the partition that you intend to install Windows 8 to, and once you're in WIn 8, change the boot priority to Windows 7, otherwise it'll half-boot Windows 8, and when you choose Win 7, it'll reboot the machine into Windows 7, which is a messy way to do it.

If you intend to do it by this method, grab the .iso, not the .esd from the Downloader.

You obviously haven't run setup for this yet; there is no such option. It asks you what you want to keep and you have the choice of your files and settings or 'nothing'. If you select nothing then click 'Install' it says you won't be able to use Windows during the install, but before that there is no option of a clean install.

From the looks of the way Windows 8 is shaping up, it looks as though Windows 8 is Longhorn reborn. Everything that was in the longhorn video about 10 years ago seems to finally now be getting implemented. :)

Can anyone post a screenshot of Media Center when they get the chance? :) Eager to see if its changed any. :)

don't get too excited. :p

wmc.png

Well, I've got it installed, and honestly with all the bitching about how the dev preview isn't even close to the beta/consumer preview.. I have to say, the feel about the same.

The CP is quicker, and has no start button. But for me the main start screen feels the same, the desktop feels the same, there is no difference from what I can tell. There is polish, and probably a lot of under the hood changes, but there are a few things that would of been nice to see. One thing for example, is that ability to click and drag the start screen to scroll it, instead of using the silly scroll bar at the bottom.

It is also very good at making you feel retarded. I installed google chrome, and got a notification telling me that I had new software that can open web pages.

still nothing on the product key? I just attempted to install by booting by cd and still needed a product key.