First mac ever

Hi guys got an iMac today, setup it up and as you see I'm on the internet, now... i don't know what i am doing at all here. i need some real help i been a windows user for years and now i just need any tips of awesome apps to use, what i may need to configure.. and bits like that.

first of all.. what messenger app do people use, i heard people use Adium but is there any other ones people recommend?

EDIT: Also how do i actually install apps, also I got 2 hard drives a 256gb and a 2tb how would i get apps on the 2tb or maybe first get apps on my 256gb keep it simple for me until i pick up os x :p!

Matt.

Adium is good, although there is a Messages beta out from Apple that allows you to receive messages from iPhones/iPads as well.

Open up the app store and have a look around, and mess around with the installed software (iPhoto, iTunes, etc).

I got my first Mac back in September and i'm still learning about it, but loving it also.

The first piece of advise I got was to install Alfred (from the App Store), its a really good and saves you time when searching your mac and makes it easy to launch applications. I swear by it now. Spotify is also a good app to install, CCleaner as do a Mac app.

If you have a 256SSD I would just install the apps on it, you shouldn't run out of space.

To make things easier I would make symbolic links in your home folders to some heavier folders (maybe your download, music, photo, and movie folders?) and store them on your 2TB drive

Before you install Alfred, try using Spotlight. It's built in and incredibly useful.

I agree. Alfred has its uses to some users, but you have to pay for the really good features. I prefer just using spotlight, personally.

If you have a 256SSD I would just install the apps on it, you shouldn't run out of space.

To make things easier I would make symbolic links in your home folders to some heavier folders (maybe your download, music, photo, and movie folders?) and store them on your 2TB drive

ah thanks, i installed the mac steam on the 256gb drive and i was hoping to get that on the 2tb drive but how do i change where it downloads the games etc?

loving it so far actually getting used to it now

Hi guys got an iMac today, setup it up and as you see I'm on the internet, now... i don't know what i am doing at all here. i need some real help i been a windows user for years and now i just need any tips of awesome apps to use, what i may need to configure.. and bits like that.

first of all.. what messenger app do people use, i heard people use Adium but is there any other ones people recommend?

EDIT: Also how do i actually install apps, also I got 2 hard drives a 256gb and a 2tb how would i get apps on the 2tb or maybe first get apps on my 256gb keep it simple for me until i pick up os x :p!

Matt.

If your looking for advice as to which App you need, then you simply really don't need it. So many Mac users do this. They get this expensive device and then get lost thinking there is something miraculous that is going to happen.

I almost bought an iPad and opted for a Asus Prime. So glad I made that choice.

If your looking for advice as to which App you need, then you simply really don't need it. So many Mac users do this. They get this expensive device and then get lost thinking there is something miraculous that is going to happen.

I almost bought an iPad and opted for a Asus Prime. So glad I made that choice.

Say what? :s

Take a look at these two write-ups. Although I don't agree with some of their suggestions or the order they are in, it is a good place to start.

50 MAC Essential Apps: http://www.cultofmac.com/category/50-mac-essentials/

Also, since you are new to a MAC, the same site offers a top 100 tips and tricks for Windows switchers here: http://www.cultofmac.com/category/100-tips/

Make sure to click on the "Archive older" button toward the bottom of the page to get the complete lists. The tips and tricks site seems to have stopped at #54 out of 100.

A good starters guide can be found here: http://www.macworld.com/article/164411/2011/12/ten_things_to_do_with_your_new_mac.html

Hope this helps.

Take a look at these two write-ups. Although I don't agree with some of their suggestions or the order they are in, it is a good place to start.

50 MAC Essential Apps: http://www.cultofmac...mac-essentials/

Also, since you are new to a MAC, the same site offers a top 100 tips and tricks for Windows switchers here: http://www.cultofmac...egory/100-tips/

Make sure to click on the "Archive older" button toward the bottom of the page to get the complete lists. The tips and tricks site seems to have stopped at #54 out of 100.

A good starters guide can be found here: http://www.macworld....ur_new_mac.html

Hope this helps.

:rolleyes: How many times does it have to be repeated before people start to understand?

Err... what are you on about, why would I want to do that? :s

He's being sarcastic.

just noticed a stuck pixel, i think its stuck anyhow, i can see it clearly and its bugging me haha its in the right and i think its stuck because:

1. on white it shows a cyan colour

2. on red it shows black (is the red out?)

3. on blue its not there

4. and a few other colours it doesn't show either

what should i do? i think its 2 pixels because its like a very tiny line

hints.macworld.com lets you get some nice hints to customize your mac.

Macworld.com is a good place to learn more and get some good news.

As far as Software, I use Quicksilver to launch my Apps. I am lost without it. I know you can use Spotlight, but this is my preferred method. :)

I also use Firefox for my browser. You have lots of options as well, such as Safari, Firefox, Camino (Firefox Variant), Opera, Chrome for starters.

Away from the Mac store, you can also get software just by looking around on the web. :) From freeware to obviously shareware.

just noticed a stuck pixel, i think its stuck anyhow, i can see it clearly and its bugging me haha its in the right and i think its stuck because:

3. on blue its not there

1. Ignore it (But I bet you cant unsee something that you have seen)

2. Take a ball point pen and gently tap on the stuck pixel (Google for more info but not recommended)

3. Contact Apple support and tell them that its something which is really bothering you.

Not sure if you figured it out yet or not... the iMac already has a pretty decent mic built in... no need to plug one in. That said if you want to use an external mic head into system preferences and select the external mic as the input/and or head into Skype settings to do the same thing.

As for apps, adium is hands down the best for IM. Rockmelt is great for Facebook and other RSS feeds. Growl is great for notifications (though expect this to die once Mountain Lion is out).

As for searching/launching apps etc... there are loads of them (Quicksliver, Alfred etc) but Im a big believer if the OS does it out the box (and does it well) leave it to it..... Spotlight will most likely more than cover you and does a great job. Launchpad is good too if you are familiar with iOS devices and how they launch apps (Launchpad is built in too).

Macworld and Macrumours are great sites for all things mac.

All the best with your mac experience :)

3. on blue its not there

Try a destucker program (the ones that flashes different colours to fix it... never worked for me but I heard it works for some people

If that doesn't work I would go straight to the Apple Store and get a new one

Try a destucker program (the ones that flashes different colours to fix it... never worked for me but I heard it works for some people

If that doesn't work I would go straight to the Apple Store and get a new one

Tried them programs, contacted Apple and they just ordered a new one out to me straight away and the courier will collect the old one off me, nice and easy :D I know theres like 11 million pixels and a few not working out of 11 million is very small of course, but i would not care if it was in the corner somewhere or out the way its just where it is positioned that bugs me

Tried them programs, contacted Apple and they just ordered a new one out to me straight away and the courier will collect the old one off me, nice and easy :D I know theres like 11 million pixels and a few not working out of 11 million is very small of course, but i would not care if it was in the corner somewhere or out the way its just where it is positioned that bugs me

That was nice of them.

The thing is, once you notice it you it will annoy you will constantly look at it. I had a deal pixel on a monitor I bought a few years ago and It was right in the centre of the screen. I sent it back and got a refund.

That was nice of them.

The thing is, once you notice it you it will annoy you will constantly look at it. I had a deal pixel on a monitor I bought a few years ago and It was right in the centre of the screen. I sent it back and got a refund.

Well the thing is really, which is quite funny, is my monitor went in my pc a few months ago so I got a cheap replacement monitor, well when was about ?100, and that has 1 black dead pixel in it so I thought argh, instead of getting it replaced I knew I was getting an iMac few months down the line. So I get it and find a little dead pixel in it haha so yeah, best to get it returned and yes although 1 pixel is extremely small now put it this way I wear glasses but I don't wear them on the computer and I can see it when just browsing the web or looking at photos and yes it does get annoying.

So I just got a replacement quickly because I start putting all my files on there