Gaming on Win8 DP/CP

Has anyone that is into gaming experienced any significant glitches or compatibility issues that disallow you from gaming on Win8? Would love to hear it as I'm downloading it right now to try it out and not sure if to use VM or do a clean install. :p

Well i don't think anyone got it fully installed yet much less to install games also. So you'll have to wait a bit :D

Note how I also mentioned Developer Preview (DP) on the title, I'm sure someone tried to game on that! :p

Well i don't think anyone got it fully installed yet much less to install games also. So you'll have to wait a bit :D

In the DP, gaming was smoother than Windows 7 + SP1 - a VERY welcome surprise.

The included PinballFX2 is as slick a game as I've seen; the biggest surprise is that it's apparently WinRT-based.

I'm still wondering how to install the CP on the Windows 7 side (I actually did an upgrade from the DP via the C2R installer; a VERY slick piece of work that puppy is - it's so small it can be sent as an e-mail attachment).

in DP build for time to time it minmize my games when i click on the edge of the game to move the view

playing at full screen , the workaround is to play in windows mode (meh)

which is very annoying behavior which i hope they fixed by now

not sure about CP as of yet , haven't finnsh DL & installing

one of the reason which made me revert back to Windows 7

Played some WoW on CP ran smooth, maybe even better then it did on WIn7. Also played so BF and about 30 min of batman AC, also ran smoother then in win7.

what about the free/included games?

I mentioned Pinball FX2 (one included game) - slick as blazes.

I have not had so much as a SINGLE quibble in anything (other than the boot screen).

DiRT 3 runs fine with the amd windows 8 custom preview drivers, even full crossfire in mobile APUs is enabled, did a test on that game and it ran with everything on the highest settings except for shadows which were set to low and ambient occlusion also set to low. min fps 37 max fps 53

Low resource games run without issues (Cave Story, Minecraft, Terraria, etc.), and Lineage II runs at a higher framerate than it did before. Same thing for Aion and other high-resource games. Also, for any gpu driver issues, simply install the appropriate Windows 7 version of the driver.

I've tried Dead Island, Portal 2, Need For Speed The Run, Kingdoms of Amalur and they all worked fine :)

Pinball FX2 worked really well and it was nice to be able to play it with my xbox controller (which I suppose should be a given since it's and xbox game :p) the only thing that I've seen lag is solitaire... really got no idea why but half the time it takes a good few seconds for a card I've tried to drag to start following the cursor and it jumps all over the place. Not sure if it's a bug in the game or just some weird glitch caused by my system but it's not really a problem since I doubt I'll ever play it!

I have a Sapphire 6770 with the catalyst windows 8 consumer preview beta driver installed.

Low resource games run without issues (Cave Story, Minecraft, Terraria, etc.), and Lineage II runs at a higher framerate than it did before. Same thing for Aion and other high-resource games. Also, for any gpu driver issues, simply install the appropriate Windows 7 version of the driver.

Interesting, Aion runs pretty crappy even on high end pcs for some reason despite being based on a now really old engine. I will probably install Win 8 just to compare despite not liking the look of metro at all.

I remember having Punkbuster driver issues on the DP. Then again those might've been fixed in the meantime.

Everything runs fantastic for me. ATI Mobility Radeon 5870 1GB w/ the latest ATI Consumer Preview driver. Skyrim, BF3, all considerably faster (5-15% in some cases) with no stuttering, as compared to Windows 7.

This is the main reason for me sticking with Windows 8 for now.

Has anyone had a problem installing the latest Nvidia driver? My PC just goes black. (I got SLI too, not sure if that might be it)

I had the same issue in VMWare Workstation 8, installed VMTools and now I have no desktop. In my case I simply gave up on it and moved on.

In the DP, gaming was smoother than Windows 7 + SP1 - a VERY welcome surprise.

Not surprising at all, Windows 8 will be a must for gamers. Lower resource usage + new DirectX version + new WDDM version = more FPS. Just make sure you're using a WDDM 1.2 GPU driver.

NVidia, select Windows 8: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/Find.aspx

ATI: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=359369

ATI Radeon HD 4850 owner, and I can't even play Unreal Tournament '99 because I lack proper drivers - tried with both WU and dedicated WIn7 drivers from the AMD website, every game I tried so far crashed on me in one way or another.

And apparently the Win8 CP AMD drivers are dedicated towards HD 5xxx onwards... I've installed them and still nothing works.

well for me on my system 2600k with 16gb of ram 470 GTX card running the new windows 8 drivers from nvidia i have tested all using the current windows 8 drivers the same ones that are current and used on windows 7

GTA 4 8FPS more then windows 7

Alan Wake 7 to 12 FPS more

Rage same

Skyrim 6FPS more

Crysis Same

crysis 2 10 FPS more

LA Noire 4FPs more then windows 7

Farcry 2 7FPS more then windows 7

all those Games seem to work

Can't find an Intel HD 3000 driver for my Dell 1702X that will install on Windows 8 CP other than the Windows WDDM 1.2 one that it in the driver store. Any attempt to install the Nvidia 295.73 is met with the ":(" BSOD screen on login.

Damn Optimus.