Rate the Windows 8 Consumer Preview

405 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the Windows 8 Consumer preview

• 1 - Utter failure.
    • 10 - Perfect.

Again, bemoaning the loss of the Start menu two hours in means you probably didn't play around enough to find a better way of doing it.

I understand the UI changes are shocking, and I understand if people think they're ugly or not well done, but passing judgement so quickly on something the size of an operating system is just silly.

when touch phones released, hey I cant use mobile without buttons.

How could i type a message with touch, my TYPE mobile is much better

and eventually

people yawns at type mobiles now. needs touch...

Changes do come. you are hating Metro at something very less resolution screen now. But this is going to be future for next 5 years and year by year the pixel density is increasing exponentially and Metro is made for that keeping it n mind

Use the search feature. Just press the windows key and type the program you want

The vast majority of users are probably not the types who can remember the names of the programs they want. They need a nice tidy list with shortcuts. Having to go back to typing the name of your programs is like going back to using MS-DOS, it's a step backwards. There was absolutely no valid reason to get rid of the start menu.

The vast majority of users are probably not the types who can remember the names of the programs they want. They need a nice tidy list with shortcuts. Having to go back to typing the name of your programs is like going back to using MS-DOS, it's a step backwards. There was absolutely no valid reason to get rid of the start menu.

They have that, it's the App List.

It's almost like it needs a nice list... you know, to list all your applications.

Exactly, like a menu of some sort. I just can't understand their reasoning for getting rid of it. It all makes sense for tablets but it seems like they don't even care about desktop users anymore. If they release Windows 8 like this it's going to fail harder than Me and Vista combined. I think even Microsoft Bob was more usable on the desktop.

Use the search feature. Just press the windows key and type the program you want

I've never searched for an app to launch it....the concept seems so silly (I know a lot of people who launch app that way in both Windows and OSX....I just don't see why)

I've never searched for an app to launch it....the concept seems so silly (I know a lot of people who launch app that way in both Windows and OSX....I just don't see why)

When you have a large amount of apps installed it's the quickest and easiest way to access them if they aren't pinned to your start menu or dock. Think about it, normally you'll zero in on the app you want with only typing the first three letters, then you just hit the enter key. For a decent typist, it's faster to press five keys then it is to point and click through a long list.

LIke others have said, Windows 8 is clearly targeting mobile platforms. Not good for desktop users. I thought it would be Windows 9 or 10 before I seriously considered switching full-time to Linux.

This is my rating:

yeah it's not any good, especially for everyday desktop use, i'll try some games and see how they behave then it's bye bye Win8.

Exactly, like a menu of some sort. I just can't understand their reasoning for getting rid of it. It all makes sense for tablets but it seems like they don't even care about desktop users anymore. If they release Windows 8 like this it's going to fail harder than Me and Vista combined. I think even Microsoft Bob was more usable on the desktop.

There is a list of applications in the metro start screen

I don't keep all my apps in the Dock and its faster to activate Spotlight with cmd + space > type first few letters of the app and hit enter than to go dig around in /Applications. It's also faster than bringing up Launchpad (using the multi-touch gesture) and look around there for the app in question.

I have to admit I'm using Launchpad more and more these days.

wow.. lot of negative comments here.

ill be able to test it in one and a half hour time.

so ill post my impressions too.

i hope they are better :s

im hoping to give it an 8.. (if i dont minus the fact i hate Aero and how it looks right now).

I dont mind not having a startmenu. what i mind is searching for something while looking at what i need to search from notepad or a website.

thats it.

im gonna use the messenger app to death!!! :D :D :D finally. but again.. i dont know how it will handle multiple windows in the snapped view.

It looks like Windows 7 will be the last OS that you can call it a Desktop OS. Windows 8 is obviusly designed with the tablet computer as the target environment.

Which is simply idiotic. Just because a new market has emerged, doesn't mean you completely ignore the old one.

I'm still downloading.

Really? I can't imagine not using Spotlight in OSX or Search in Windows. Most of the time I don't even need to use Finder or Explorer either, I just search for the file I want to use.

I think people would be more comfortable with it these days, it's analogous to using a web browser. The menu is like bookmarks, but the URL bar is like searching. I don't have a bookmark for neowin.... it's much easier and takes up less space to just type it in and let the browser autocomplete.

If the GUI is this on final release i'll just stay on OSX and W7. Maybe get another slate to be able to use W8.

Really? I can't imagine not using Spotlight in OSX or Search in Windows. Most of the time I don't even need to use Finder or Explorer either, I just search for the file I want to use.

I think people would be more comfortable with it these days, it's analogous to using a web browser. The menu is like bookmarks, but the URL bar is like searching. I don't have a bookmark for neowin.... it's much easier and takes up less space to just type it in and let the browser autocomplete.

I just keep the "Applications" shortcut as a grid in my dock and when I need an app it's usually 2 clicks away. For commonly used application (Chrome, Xcode, iTunes, etc etc) I just keep them locked in the dock so it's even easier

Said it before and I'll say it again, Windows 8 is going to fail on desktops.

They should have had it as an edition, i.e. "Windows 8 Touch"

Using it on my laptop and I'm honestly astounded that you can't even scroll through the "start page" with the touchpad by default.

Although, apparently, that should be available...

http://www.synaptics.com/solutions/technology/windows8

• Like 2