Windows 8 Can't Log In

After starting for the first time and creating an account with my Windows Live ID that I've had for years it does not let me log in after my first reboot, says email or password invalid. This is the second computer it has done this on luckily i made a backup admin account on this second machine so I can get into it, but why can't i get in with my Windows Live Linked Account?

hmm, ensure that your username and password is correct? Other than that I have no idea why it wouldn't work. Is it an @live, @Hotmail, @MSN account, or an Xbox Live account?

hmm, ensure that your username and password is correct? Other than that I have no idea why it wouldn't work. Is it an @live, @Hotmail, @MSN account, or an Xbox Live account?

The username and password are definatly correct. Its a hotmail address that ive had for 13 years and use every day.

I found out I can log into my hotmail from IE10 but not through the Mail Metro App, gives me the same error. I wonder if it doesnt like underscores in the password? Noone else has had this problem???

I'm having the same problem. It's so frustrating. Just installed the preview. I can't sign into either my live account or Hotmail account. Windows won't let me activate my copy, do you think that has anything to do with letting you sign in?

Hey zeroomegazx,

I had the same problem that you're facing and I have discovered "the problem".

Let's imagine that your password has 20 characters, it shouldn't be a problem right ?

It isn't because you will be able to create your account suffecfully.

But, the next time you restart your machine, you will be unable to go to your account with that password, and why is that ?

When you try login in again, you will face one problem: There's a 16 characters password limit!

Let me example, if you created your account with the password: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvxwyz

The next time you want to login, you must input the following password: abcdefghijklmnop (because of the 16 characters password limit).

And sadly it works, it's a very serious bug, and I hope Microsoft fix's it soon.

I've unable to login to Messenger. Skydrive seems to work.

Quite buggy and frustrating. It just keeps crashing back to the metro desktop. Also the Weather Apps keeps hanging as well. No more blue screen's I guess they just disappear and its back to the desktop.

Hey zeroomegazx,

I had the same problem that you're facing and I have discovered "the problem".

Let's imagine that your password has 20 characters, it shouldn't be a problem right ?

It isn't because you will be able to create your account suffecfully.

But, the next time you restart your machine, you will be unable to go to your account with that password, and why is that ?

When you try login in again, you will face one problem: There's a 16 characters password limit!

Let me example, if you created your account with the password: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvxwyz

The next time you want to login, you must input the following password: abcdefghijklmnop (because of the 16 characters password limit).

And sadly it works, it's a very serious bug, and I hope Microsoft fix's it soon.

I figured it out. You have to go to the time and date settings and make sure it's synced with Microsoft's time server. worked for me!

Thanks to the both of you, my password IS over 16 characters so that must be the issue. I can't believe they would leave a bug like that in there, is there any way around it?

Thanks to the both of you, my password IS over 16 characters so that must be the issue. I can't believe they would leave a bug like that in there, is there any way around it?

Currently, there's no way to solve the problem.

Guess we have to wait for more information regarding this problem from Microsoft, but I really doubt we will see this problem "automatically" fixed on Windows CP.