Windows 8/8.1 tips and tricks - post them here

I removed the watermark completely by THIS method. This method uses modded files, so the watermark not reappear when you change your wallpaper.

Note: When you complete the tutorial, change your wallpaper to the watermark disappear.

I removed the watermark completely by THIS method. This method uses modded files, so the watermark not reappear when you change your wallpaper.

Note: When you complete the tutorial, change your wallpaper to the watermark disappear.

The file needed to use this method has been taken down so it's unusable.

So MSE is now built into the OS in the form of Windows Defender. Is there a way to scan a file(s) for viruses or is it unnecessary as it will be picked up automatically by Windows Defender?

So MSE is now built into the OS in the form of Windows Defender. Is there a way to scan a file(s) for viruses or is it unnecessary as it will be picked up automatically by Windows Defender?

I think it scans files in real time as they're moved to or downloaded onto the FS. In fact I'm sure it scans when you download files.

It's probably unnecessary, but you can do a search/run of "defender" and initiate a scan manually still.

there's probably a registry tweak still to turn the context menu scan option back on

I remember I had to use that tweak for the first few beta builds of MSE 2.0 as it was accidentally disabled by default

I'd test it but I can't for the life of me remember where i got the registry file right now

When using the Metro style apps switcher (on the left edge) or the charms bar (on the right edge) with the mouse, instead of doing it in two discrete motions (move to top/bottom corner, then move down/up), try just swinging your mouse pointer around the corner in one fluid motion. With a bit of practice it becomes a lot faster and actually kinda fun and addictive (or maybe I'm a weirdo). I wish the animation for the charms bar appearing was a little faster though.

You should be able to click on the Charms bar while it's still animating in: does that work for you?

It is still incomplete and not fully functional as you are not supposed to use Windows 8 as your primary OS rather just for testing, hence no need to scan files.

If you navigate to C:\Windows\WinStore you can fine some html/css/images files for the App Store.

post-350612-0-99372700-1331296989_thumb.

Something that's annoying me. I have a group of ten folders pinned to the start screen. They are currently organised like layout 1 (below) but I would much rather they be laid out like option 2 or 3, is it possible?

Layout 1

X X X X

X X

X X

X X

Layout 2

X X X

X X X

X X

X X

Layout 3

X X X X

X X X X

X X

Something that's annoying me. I have a group of ten folders pinned to the start screen. They are currently organised like layout 1 (below) but I would much rather they be laid out like option 2 or 3, is it possible?

Layout 1

X X X X

X X

X X

X X

Layout 2

X X X

X X X

X X

X X

Layout 3

X X X X

X X X X

X X

Unfortunately, I don't think that's possible. I have sent MS a feedback on the Layout 2 and 3. Layout 1 feels like reading an incomplete sentence.

Guys, you can simply remove the watermark in 30 seconds, without any software. Why would you download additional software and mod the files ? Here we go: http://pricop.info/2...view-watermark/

That method just hides it behind the taskbar and if you have full transparency enabled it interferes, albeit slightly, with the date and time.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's possible. I have sent MS a feedback on the Layout 2 and 3. Layout 1 feels like reading an incomplete sentence.

OK, thanks.

im not sure if this one already mentioned you can Edit your power user task menu " The menu when you right on bottom left corner or win + x" How to Edit your Power User task menu http://www.winsupers...sks-menu-142525 hope it helped someone :)

Now that it's possible to edit that menu, who the hell needs a Start Menu anymore - just edit that with your most commonly accessed items and voila, the Power User Menu takes the place.

Now we just need someone to create a tool or utility that will make it easier - it wouldn't surprise me if Stardock gets to work on this and merges this type of edit functionality right into their Start8 button utility.

Seems like a win-win to me...

Now that it's possible to edit that menu, who the hell needs a Start Menu anymore - just edit that with your most commonly accessed items and voila, the Power User Menu takes the place.

Now we just need someone to create a tool or utility that will make it easier - it wouldn't surprise me if Stardock gets to work on this and merges this type of edit functionality right into their Start8 button utility.

Seems like a win-win to me...

So far you can't just drop any shortcut into one of the Group folders and have it work it seems. I dunno why, guess those might be specific links that the menu will work with while it skips anything else you drop in there. I'm sure once people find out how to make the right type of shortcuts needed then that'll be what people will start using if they really really need to. I bet the first thing you'll see is someone add Shutdown to it, probably a link to a simple shutdown.bat file, heh.

for accesing power options in one click (this works in xp and 7 too) assign "close" to one of your mouse buttons, click it on the desktop and the ctl-alt-delete box will pop up

I'm the one who emailed him this tip >> I'm Javier Arroyo :D

Very nice find there, Javier, congrats. Now let's hope it offers more potential in the future... :laugh: