Photo

Windows 8/8.1 tips and tricks - post them here

windows 8 tips tricks

268 replies to this topic

#226 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:04

Im at 1920x1080 and all I have is the option to show administrative tools.

I just did some digging and it looks like it's set to trigger at 1920x1200 and higher resolutions. I'll see if I can find more info about a manual workaround (but no guarantees on how well it will work or what it can do).

#227 Unrealistic

Unrealistic

Laughter is all we have.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:59

It still is:

What the hell. It's not on mine. I'm running Win 8 Enterprise activated with my VL key. I only have that option if I open the desktop through Explorer, which deems it pointless.

::Edit - Okay apparently Stardock Fences disables it, I guess in an attempt to push you into buying the Pro version. It's kind of annoying since I still have files outside of my fences.

http://www.<< spam >>/general-discussion/65580-sort-doesnt-show-up-desktop-context-menu.html

#228 +BeerFan

BeerFan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:23

That option is no longer in Windows 8, hence the question.

Um, yes it is. Look again. Unless of course you're talking about the Start Screen and not the desktop.

What the hell. It's not on mine. I'm running Win 8 Enterprise activated with my VL key. I only have that option if I open the desktop through Explorer, which deems it pointless.

::Edit - Okay apparently Stardock Fences disables it, I guess in an attempt to push you into buying the Pro version. It's kind of annoying since I still have files outside of my fences.

http://www.<< spam >>/general-discussion/65580-sort-doesnt-show-up-desktop-context-menu.html

Oh, I see. NVM.

#229 prz

prz

minimalism

• Phone: Motorola Droid Razr

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:32

I just did some digging and it looks like it's set to trigger at 1920x1200 and higher resolutions. I'll see if I can find more info about a manual workaround (but no guarantees on how well it will work or what it can do).

120 vertical pixels? What a gaffe. 1080p is the standard.

#230 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:19

120 vertical pixels? What a gaffe. 1080p is the standard.

Exactly, and they designed the interface to scale, and at 1080p it has a standard number of rows that fits just fine. For anything above that the option allows you to add more rows.

#231 Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 31 October 2012 - 20:08

Haven't read the thread so sorry if this has already been posted. I saw in the first page that someone mentioned if you go to the top left corner, then move your mouse down the side, you get all the open metro apps. They said you can right click and press close to close them.
However, I have noticed that a middle click (clicking mouse wheel) also closes the app you are hovering over. Much easier than right clicking and clicking close IMO.

If you have a few apps you want closed you can just keep middle clicking the top-most one until they are all closed.

#232 jbfoster

jbfoster

Neowinian

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:27

stardock has a nice start menu but it costs $4.99. It does have a 30 day trial. It has an option to take you to your desktop after you enter your password. For the most part it feels like I am running Windows 7.

http://www.stardock....roducts/start8/

#233 Q9650

Q9650

{ Windows 8 Pro x64 User }

Posted 07 November 2012 - 21:46

To close Metro apps easily from both the desktop and start screen:

Put your mouse on the top left corner of the screen.
The most recently opened Metro app will appear. Move the mouse down to see all running apps.
Move it over the app you want to close, and right-click on the app, then select close.

you can do the same by just middle clicking the mouse button

#234 Neowon

Neowon

Neowinian

Posted 07 November 2012 - 21:58

Winkey + E to open your computer. Winkey+W to search.

#235 Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 07 November 2012 - 22:58

you can do the same by just middle clicking the mouse button

Already posted that 2 posts up

[snip]
However, I have noticed that a middle click (clicking mouse wheel) also closes the app you are hovering over. Much easier than right clicking and clicking close IMO.

If you have a few apps you want closed you can just keep middle clicking the top-most one until they are all closed.

-

Winkey + E to open your computer. Winkey+W to search.

Win+W searches settings. Win + Q searches apps. (or just press win and start typing to search)

#236 TCA

TCA

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Android

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:33

I know that if you place your desktop at the top left corner, all you have to do is hit Enter opens the desktop. Alternately, you can use the Win key to switch between the Start screen and desktop modes.

#237 DerkPY

DerkPY

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 November 2012 - 14:38

I'd love to be able to make the tiles a little smaller. My resolution isn't brilliant at 1366x768, but as most of my tiles are shortcuts and not live tiles there's no need for them to be so big. A 25% reduction would be more comfortable for my use.

Being able to have single column groups would be a nice addition too.

#238 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

Posted 10 November 2012 - 15:31

I'd actually like less tiles at 1680x1050. There's an app that allows this but they seem oddly smaller, I want less, yet bigger tiles. It's information overload when there's loads of them.

#239 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 27 November 2012 - 18:19

I'd love to be able to make the tiles a little smaller.

You'll have to wait for Win9 for that WP8 feature. ;)

#240 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 27 November 2012 - 18:30

I'd love to be able to make the tiles a little smaller. My resolution isn't brilliant at 1366x768, but as most of my tiles are shortcuts and not live tiles there's no need for them to be so big. A 25% reduction would be more comfortable for my use.

Being able to have single column groups would be a nice addition too.

They should've added a 3rd smaller size similar to WP8 IMO :/

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!