Windows 8/8.1 tips and tricks - post them here

windows 8 tips tricks

271 replies to this topic

#256 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 19 June 2013 - 13:33

Just got these emailed to me.  Thought they would be helpful for some....

Shortcut Keys
https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing
GUI Features
Internet Explorer

#257 NightScreams

NightScreams

Neowinian

Posted 18 August 2013 - 21:49

Here is some registry that will add a shutdown menu to your right click for those who don't like the default method of shutting down or having to put shortcut tiles in your start menu.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Shut Down]
"MUIVerb"="Shut Down"
"SubCommands"="restart;|;shutdown;hybridshutdown;|;sleep;hibernate;|;lock;logoff;switch"
"Icon"="shell32.dll,215"
"Position"="bottom"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\restart]
@="Restart"
"Icon"="comres.dll,4"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\restart\command]
@="Shutdown -r -f -t 00"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\shutdown]
@="Shut Down"
"Icon"="SyncCenter.dll,5"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\shutdown\command]
@="Shutdown -s -f -t 00"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\hybridshutdown]
@="Shut Down (Hybrid)"
"Icon"="shell32.dll,137"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\hybridshutdown\command]
@="Shutdown -s -f -t 00 -hybrid"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\sleep]
@="Sleep"
"Icon"="powrprof.dll,2"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\sleep\command]
@="rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Sleep"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\switch]
@="Switch User"
"Icon"="imageres.dll,220"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\switch\command]
@="tsdiscon.exe"

#258 Sergey "hb860"

Sergey "hb860"

EdgeUI

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 02 October 2013 - 20:14

Format any drive with modern ReFS file system:
How to format

#259 Sergey "hb860"

Sergey "hb860"

EdgeUI

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:27

For those who decided to remove all personal data from the Microsoft Cloud / Skydrive, the following tutorial: How to delete your personal settings from SkyDrive in Windows 8.1

#260 Sergey "hb860"

Sergey "hb860"

EdgeUI

Posted 11 October 2013 - 16:57

A tweak to restore the Last Known Good Configuration feature in Windows 8.1

#261 ians18

ians18

Where Unprofessional Commenting Looks Better.

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • OS: Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9901, Windows 8.1 August update, OSX Yoesmite
  • Phone: Microsoft Lumia 521 on T-mo w/ WP 8.1 Update (Dev) & "Lumia Cyan" Firmware

Posted 21 October 2013 - 16:21

Here's a tip: If you have 2 modern UI applications snapped, move your mouse to the top (like if you were to quit the app) and do a double click. That will expand the app to fill the entire screen. Also if you go to the app switcher (move your mouse to the top left corner. It will allow you to "resnap" the app.

#262 BavonWW

BavonWW

BavonWW

• OS: Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Centre, Windows 7 Pro, XP Pro SP3

Posted 21 October 2013 - 21:39

What would the settings be if i wanted it to reset instead of a shutdown?

shutdown.exe /g /t 0

This restarts computer and restarts any registered applications once booted

or

shutdown.exe r/ /t 0

This restarts the computer.

#263 BavonWW

BavonWW

BavonWW

• OS: Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Centre, Windows 7 Pro, XP Pro SP3

Posted 21 October 2013 - 21:51

Can someone explain what the -s and t 0 represent in "shutdown.exe -s -t 0" Also the r in "shutdown.exe -r -t 0 "

/s           Shutdown the computer.

/g            Full shutdown and restart the computer. After the system is
              rebooted, restart any registered applications.

/r             Full shutdown and restart the computer.

/t xxx       Set the time-out period before shutdown to xxx seconds.
              The valid range is 0-315360000 (10 years), with a default of 30.
              If the timeout period is greater than 0, the /f parameter is
              implied.
/f              Force running applications to close without forewarning users.
              The /f parameter is implied when a value greater than 0 is
               specified for the /t parameter.

#264 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 21 October 2013 - 22:02

Here is how to make Windows 8 like Windows 7 on your laptop/desktop

1.  Uninstall all the metro apps, except apps like SkyDrive which can serve some use in the future and any other Metro apps you feel are important also.

2. Right Click on taskbar properties

3. Click on the navigation tab

4. Uncheck - "When I point to the upper-right corner, show the charms"

5. Uncheck - " When I click in the upper-left corner, switch between my recent apps" 

6. Check - "When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to the desktop instead of Start"

7. Check - "Show all Apps view automatically when I go to Start" and make sure the "search everywhere instead of just my apps when I search from the apps view"

8. Check - "List desktop apps first in the Apps view when it's sorted by category"

Now Windows 8 will work almost like the Windows 7 did!

#265 ians18

ians18

Where Unprofessional Commenting Looks Better.

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • OS: Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9901, Windows 8.1 August update, OSX Yoesmite
  • Phone: Microsoft Lumia 521 on T-mo w/ WP 8.1 Update (Dev) & "Lumia Cyan" Firmware

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:31

Why are you running both at the same time?

I think s/he is trying to say that Skype should be able to sync the experience between all UIs. Same thing happens with the plugin for outlook.com, answer a call in one of the apps and the outlook.com skype plugin keeps ringing. It would be nice if they do that.

#266 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 October 2013 - 18:33

I just upgraded an HP TouchSmart 310 (originally comes with Windows 7) to 8.1 - and ran into several nice surprises.

1.  The proprietary software that Windows 7 needed is not needed by Windows 8.1 - at all.  You can literally touch your way through everything - even things that would not normally support touch - like desktop software installs.  What is hilarious about this is that the TouchSmart line of PCs are AIOs - desktop AIOs in particular.  (You can use keyboards and mice as normal, of course - and you can team them up with the touch support as well.  So much for having to do one or the other.)

2.  This particular TouchSmart is driven by an Athlon II x245e - which also supports Hyper-V.  This is showing that AMD's support for this particular Windows feature is more ubiquitous than it is on the Intel side of things.

3.  I'm used to driving Windows (even 8.1) with keyboard and mouse - and this is a touch-screen desktop.  I'll be posting a more in-depth dissection on the TouchSmart/8.1 tag-team later this evening.

#267 Nodiaque

Nodiaque

Neowinian

Posted 27 October 2013 - 13:05

One nice workaround I did find is to go to C:\Windows\ and search for "Shows Desktop". You can then copy that shortcut to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup Doing that means that Windows 8 will, in a fashion, boot directly to the desktop so you can bypass the Start Screen initially.

Also an old favourite of mine still works. Hit Win-key + R then type "control userpasswords2" and hit enter. This will bring up a dialog where you can choose to bypass the login process allowing your PC to fully boot into Windows without interruption.

So you know, there's a built-in feature in 8.1 for that. Check in the taskbar option ;)

For closing metro apps, simply slide from top to bottom (when then mouse is on top, it changed to a hand, click and slide the apps down).

#268 +LambdaLambdaLambdaFn

LambdaLambdaLambdaFn

Neowinian

Posted 17 November 2013 - 17:39

Force close/restart an app

Windows 8.1's default behaviour is to suspend an app when you close it via drag top-to-bottom.  If you go to task manager, you'll see it's still there after a close.  It's pretty harmless since it doesn't take up resources, but sometimes files may be locked by the app.  If you want to close the app and terminate or restart it:

• Drag from top to almost the bottom (but not all the way) as if you were close the app
  • Hold it there for a second or two
  • The image of the app will "flip"

If you move your finger/mouse back up toward the top after the flip, the app will force close then restart.  If you move your finger all the way down, it will terminate the app completely and free any locks.

#269 Turk.

Turk.

Neowinian

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:31

2s6nfb9.png

#270 Punk 32

Punk 32

Neowinian

Posted 03 June 2014 - 13:11

If you select a tile in start menu using cursor keys and press space bar then it will draw up the context menu like there was in win 8