Photo

Windows 8/8.1 tips and tricks - post them here

windows 8 tips tricks

273 replies to this topic

#271 smsabbir480

smsabbir480

Neowinian

Posted 20 July 2014 - 14:50

You can view the minimized windows by pressing alt+tab and can resize your browser by pressing windows+arrow keys.

#272 bonilia

bonilia

Neowinian

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:42

I just put it there because it looks nice. I prefer the start screen

------------------------------------------

#273 canprince

canprince

Neowinian

Posted 03 April 2015 - 00:54

I have recently been struggling with an issue where my NTFS gets corrupted and requires a chkdsk at each boot.  After several weeks/tries of formatting and reinstalling Windows, and trying different hard/solid state drives to rule out any hardware issue, I discovered the culprit and wanted to share in case anyone else is interested.  The issue is the Fast Boot Option in Windows 8.

My system is dual boot (Windows 7 on one drive, and 8.1 on the other).  Each version of Windows was installed separately.  By that I mean, I only have one hard drive plugged in at a time until they were both installed.  I chose this method only to maintain control of my OS and not have them linked by a multi-boot configuration.  If ever I need to reinstall, I can just wipe the one drive clean without impacting the other drive.  This is when the problem started.  Once both drives were connected (running 2 different versions of Windows), anytime I boot into Windows 8, then reboot into Windows 7, I get NTFS errors, corrupt files, and chkdsk prompts for errors.  To be honest, it had me stumped until all my efforts on Google searches suggested that I disable the Fast Boot option in Windows 8.  From what I understand, Windows 8 actually creates a hibernate file at time of shutdown to help start faster, which inadvertently affects files from the other drive.  As soon as I disabled the fast boot option (which I didn't need anyway as I am running SSD's and clean systems), the problem disappeared.  I am only sharing this because it took me weeks to figure out the issue, initially suspecting hardware issue (either hard drives or RAM defect), and hoping to raise awareness of potential issue a little tick mark makes.

Please see the following link:

http://winaero.com/b...in-windows-8-1/

:)

#274 Draggendrop

Draggendrop

Neowinian

• Phone: Dixi cups and string

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:17

That  "fast boot" got me as well, disabled it and all is well...sure was a pain in the neck....Cheers