Windows 8/8.1 tips and tricks - post them here

Here a big giant list of useful console commands for any version of Windows(shamelessly stolen from here):

• Accessibility Options : access.cpl
  • Add Hardware: hdwwiz.cpl
  • Add / Remove Programs: appwiz.cpl
  • Administrative Tools : control admintools
  • Automatic Updates: wuaucpl.cpl
  • Wizard file transfer Bluethooth: fsquirt
  • Calculator: calc
  • Certificate Manager: certmgr.msc
  • Character: charmap
  • Checking disk : chkdsk
  • Manager of the album (clipboard) : clipbrd
  • Command Prompt : cmd
  • Service components (DCOM) : dcomcnfg
  • Computer Management : compmgmt.msc
  • DDE active sharing : ddeshare
  • Device Manager : devmgmt.msc
  • DirectX Control Panel (if installed) : directx.cpl
  • DirectX Diagnostic Utility : dxdiag
  • Disk Cleanup : cleanmgr
  • Disk Defragmenter : dfrg.msc
  • Disk Management : diskmgmt.msc
  • Partition manager : diskpart
  • Display Properties : control desktop
  • Properties of the display (2) : desk.cpl
  • Properties display (tab "appearance") : control color
  • Dr. Watson: drwtsn32
  • Manager v?rirficateur drivers : check
  • Event Viewer : Eventvwr.msc
  • Verification of signatures of files: sigverif
  • Findfast (if present) : findfast.cpl
  • Folder Options : control folders
  • Fonts (fonts) : control fonts
  • Fonts folder windows : fonts
  • Free Cell ...: freecell
  • Game Controllers : Joy.cpl
  • Group Policy (XP Pro) : gpedit.msc
  • Hearts (card game) : mshearts
  • IExpress (file generator. Cab) : IExpress
  • Indexing Service (if not disabled) : ciadv.msc
  • Internet Properties : inetcpl.cpl
  • IPConfig (display configuration): ipconfig / all
  • IPConfig (displays the contents of the DNS cache): ipconfig / displaydns
  • IPConfig (erases the contents of the DNS cache): ipconfig / flushdns
  • IPConfig (IP configuration cancels maps): ipconfig / release
  • IPConfig (renew IP configuration maps) : ipconfig / renew
  • Java Control Panel (if present) : jpicpl32.cpl
  • Java Control Panel (if present) : javaws
  • Keyboard Properties: control keyboard
  • Local Security Settings : secpol.msc
  • Local Users and Groups: lusrmgr.msc
  • Logout: logoff
  • Microsoft Chat : winchat
  • Minesweeper (game): winmine
  • Properties of the mouse: control mouse
  • Properties of the mouse (2): main.cpl
  • Network Connections : control NetConnect
  • Network Connections (2): ncpa.cpl
  • Network configuration wizard: netsetup.cpl
  • Notepad : notepad
  • NView Desktop Manager (if installed): nvtuicpl.cpl
  • Manager links: packager
  • Data Source Administrator ODBC: odbccp32.cpl
  • Screen Keyboard: OSK
  • AC3 Filter (if installed) : ac3filter.cpl
  • Password manager (if present): Password.cpl
  • Monitor performance : perfmon.msc
  • Monitor performance (2): perfmon
  • Dialing Properties (phone): telephon.cpl
  • Power Options : powercfg.cpl
  • Printers and Faxes : control printers
  • Private Character Editor : eudcedit
  • Quicktime (if installed) : QuickTime.cpl
  • Regional and Language Options: intl.cpl
  • Editor of the registry : regedit
  • Remote desktop connection : mstsc
  • Removable Storage: ntmsmgr.msc
  • requests the operator to removable storage: ntmsoprq.msc
  • RSoP (traduction. ..) (XP Pro): rsop.msc
  • Scanners and Cameras : sticpl.cpl
  • Scheduled Tasks : control schedtasks
  • Security Center : wscui.cpl
  • Console management services: services.msc
  • shared folders : fsmgmt.msc
  • Turn off windows : shutdown
  • Sounds and Audio Devices : mmsys.cpl
  • Spider (card game): spider
  • Client Network Utility SQL server : cliconfg
  • System Configuration Editor : sysedit
  • System Configuration Utility : msconfig
  • System File Checker (SFC =) (Scan Now) : sfc / scannow
  • SFC (Scan next startup): sfc / scanonce
  • SFC (Scan each d?marraget) : sfc / scanboot
  • SFC (back to default settings): sfc / revert
  • SFC (purge cache files): sfc / purgecache
  • SFC (define size CAHC x) : sfc / cachesize = x
  • System Properties : sysdm.cpl
  • Task Manager : taskmgr
  • Telnet client : telnet
  • User Accounts : nusrmgr.cpl
  • Utility Manager (Magnifier, etc) : utilman
  • Windows firewall (XP SP2) : firewall.cpl
  • Microsoft Magnifier: magnify
  • Windows Management Infrastructure: wmimgmt.msc
  • Protection of the accounts database: syskey
  • Windows update: wupdmgr
  • Introducing Windows XP (if not erased) : tourstart
  • Wordpad : write
  • Date and Time Properties : timedate.cpl

this are common for windows all version....... :rofl:

MS should just let you configure the new power user menu that shows up when you right click in the lower left so people can add more things to it etc. If they put shutdown there then it'll be two clicks again instead of the waaayyyyy way more clicks of ..... 3.

Is there any way to display App Bar other than right-click?

I think there's a KB shortcut for it as well, I think it's space? Try that if not I'd have to look around for it but I'm 99% sure there is a way with the KB.

When i hover my mouse to lower left and right corners the aero or metro start peaks show up. Is there a way to disable that behavior?

Is there a way I have just my first name as my Windows Live account? Win8 wants to use my full name, when I'd prefer just to have my first name. But I have to have a last name on Live, if I try to edit it out of my profile it won't let me.

Is there a way I have just my first name as my Windows Live account? Win8 wants to use my full name, when I'd prefer just to have my first name. But I have to have a last name on Live, if I try to edit it out of my profile it won't let me.

Why do you have to have a last name on live as well? I mean I have both on my live account but I'm pretty sure Win8 only shows my first name. Let me boot up vbox and double check though.

*edit*

Yup, it does show my first name, I never thought about it much though.

*edit 2*

Try to go into the Computer Management and then go to the Local Users and Groups section then Users, and find your account. Right click on it and open properties and then it should show the name. Maybe changing it there will work, but honestly if it's your full name on Live it'll probably have to be changed there since your account is syncing with it etc.

Running on a TM2 ... took me a while to figure this out some swiping motions. The most strange to me being....

Drag from the left to the middle of the screen switches the currently open app.

If however rather than releasing once dragged in, you drag the the "switching app" back to where it came from... it will show a list of all open apps.

My new favourite thing to do is to have the Vimeo app running on the sideview with music videos, whilst reading people bitch about Windows 8.

This is just SO true, it's worth a quote! :woot:

Why do you have to have a last name on live as well? I mean I have both on my live account but I'm pretty sure Win8 only shows my first name. Let me boot up vbox and double check though.

That's just it, I don't know why. I tried to edit my Live profile to just have my first name, and it said that I have to have my full name for some reason. But I'll try what you suggested with Computer Management.

I made a quick search and believe it was not mentioned:

how to name the groups on the metro start page:

1. move mouse down until the scroll bar shows

2. click on the "magnifier" on right of scroll bar

image_279.jpg

3. the start page zoom view appears, right click on the group, the rest is straight-forward.....

image_278.jpg

Just a hint: You can go to this zoomed out mode with ctrl + MouseScrollDown too.

That's just it, I don't know why. I tried to edit my Live profile to just have my first name, and it said that I have to have my full name for some reason. But I'll try what you suggested with Computer Management.

I had the opposite problem in a VM install - on Live I have my first and surname and when I used that in Win 8 it only used my first name for all the username files. Would play havock with all the settings and shortcuts I have to transfer across which have my surname in the user directory path. Only solution is to create a local account to get your name how you want it and then convert that into a Microsfot account. It will maintain the existing file paths.

I made a quick search and believe it was not mentioned:

how to name the groups on the metro start page:

1. move mouse down until the scroll bar shows

2. click on the "magnifier" on right of scroll bar

image_279.jpg

3. the start page zoom view appears, right click on the group, the rest is straight-forward.....

image_278.jpg

CTRL + Scroll Wheel

In order to decrease the title bar height and adjust the fonts for Windows 8 Aero, export the following Registry key from a Windows 7 installation with the settings you want:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

Then import the .reg file into Windows 8. Works like a charm. Caveat: Changing the theme will reset this tweak.

awesome i was trolling the web for this for ages it works great!!!! thanks man

The option to "Hide Empty Drives" in Explorer doesn't work (on my system) any more.

Even though it's enabled in Options | View | Advanced Settings, my empty DVD drive still shows in the Navigation Pane. :(

Bummer.

Here is a new one, you can now take screenshots without any additional software. To do this simply press WINKEY + PrtScn (Print Screen) on your keyboard.

The screenshots are saved directly to your "pictures" library and have the name "Screenshot" (if additional screenshots are captured, they will be named "Screenshot (1)" and so on).

The screenshots are saved as PNG files.

Here is a new one, you can now take screenshots without any additional software. To do this simply press WINKEY + PrtScn (Print Screen) on your keyboard.

The screenshots are saved directly to your "pictures" library and have the name "Screenshot" (if additional screenshots are captured, they will be named "Screenshot (1)" and so on).

post-107791-0-55182400-1330920153_thumb.

Funny how you edited that. Before the edit you said, "It's still two clicks. Move your..." Guess you tried it out for yourself and realized it's now more clicks than before. See what i mean?

I agree that it's not that big of a deal. But it is still a step backwards. And I'm not sure if "most people I know" is a statistically significant population sample. I'm simply pointing out why one common gripe about the CP is valid. It's not like I'm railing the entire build or calling it useless. I like it overall... but the change in how you have to shutdown / restart / switch users is bad.

Yes, it's three. Again, I still don't see how it's a big deal. I had to verify it because I have a power button on my PC that I use to shut it down.

Is there any way to display App Bar other than right-click?

Win-Z

Shutting down is simple, if your machine has a "alternating switch"(i.e. it alternates between on/off on pressing,). Just hit it and the "shutting down......" screen appears and the OS will handle the rest. :laugh:

Two tricks

1) Many people does not realize that the charm bar have different functions depending on which Metro app you are. I've read many complains that some applications doesn't have searching function, and that's where the CHARM bar comes in !! All metro apps have their own settings and many of them have search functions, and can be accesed through the charm bar.

2) Crtl+MouseWheel makes zoom out on the Start screen

Fastest way to shut down your PC.

Hit the power button

:laugh:

When you boot into Windows 8, on the Lock screen, you don't need to move the cursor upwards.

Just press any key from the keyboard, and it'll be unlocked

There's a bug if you take multiple screenshots very fast. Try to take 10 screenshots very fast and they will become darker until the last becomes 100% black!