Move to Charms >> Click Settings >> Click Power >> Click Shutdown

#47 V23

V23

Neowinian

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:48

You forgot something, actually it is:
Move to Charms >> Click Settings >> Click Power >> Click Shutdown

You can just use the shortcut "Windows key + I" >> Power >> Shutdown

Has anyone worked out how to decrease the delay for aero peek?

#48 Another Canuck

Another Canuck

David

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:08

You can just use the shortcut "Windows key + I" >> Power >> Shutdown

Has anyone worked out how to decrease the delay for aero peek?

People seriously need to stop posting keyboard shortcuts as acceptable workarounds.

There's a million ways to shut down a Windows 8 PC, but the fact remains that the most common method (using your mouse to access the power menu) has been significantly hampered. What used to take two swift motions and two clicks now takes 4 complex motions, 3 clicks and incurs a delay while waiting for the Charms menu to open.

Until touch screens take over, the mouse is still the primary way users interact with their PCs. Joe User isn't going to memorize all these keyboard shortcuts, nor should they have to.

#49 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:18

Just as someone posted before, that if you move the cursor in a rhythmic manner around the bottom right corner, you can get charms bar, same goes for the multi-tasking tab on the upper right (Y)

#50 V23

V23

Neowinian

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:38

People seriously need to stop posting keyboard shortcuts as acceptable workarounds.

They're not "workarounds", they're shortcuts. The other way of shutting down (using mouse gesture to bring up the charms bar) is perfectly fine, but there are keyboard shortcuts which power users can use to expedite the process.

#51 Subhadip

Subhadip

Neowinian

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:06

You know the menu that pops up when you go to the bottom left corner and right click? Or Win-X? That's going to be revamped and a Shut Down option will make it there too by RC. Right now it's just a crude context list.

Personally, I am fine with Win+I > Shut down.

#52 Bioran

Bioran

6.02x10^-23

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:14

Anyone got a list of keyboard shortcuts? Not sure where to find 'em.

#53 Dj_baby

Dj_baby

Babyboy

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:15

Just as someone posted before, that if you move the cursor in a rhythmic manner around the bottom right corner, you can get charms bar, same goes for the multi-tasking tab on the upper right (Y)

yes true but realy sucks having 3 screens :-) you know how hard it is for me to get those things lol, wish i could place those things to top of screen and bottom of the screen :rolleyes:

Edit: Just found a way to get those windows on left way without actually going with mouse is just doing windows key+tab

#54 Kelxin

Kelxin

Neowinian

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:24

Well, just got done playing with Windows 8 and Windows 8 Server for several hours, and this is my contribution to the subject.

Tip: Microsoft really screwed the pooch on this one from an administrative side. Avoid the OS like it was vista all over again.

Trick: I won't fall for it this time either Microsoft. You got me on Windows ME. You didn't get me on Vista, and you won't get me on this one either. I refuse to support any person that buys this hunk of junk unless it's to format the machine and go back to Windows 7 with the downgrade rights that will be built into the licensing for this.

#55 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:00

You know the menu that pops up when you go to the bottom left corner and right click? Or Win-X? That's going to be revamped and a Shut Down option will make it there too by RC. Right now it's just a crude context list.

Personally, I am fine with Win+I > Shut down.

That sounds good to be but where did you hear that from? I think it's a good idea really, that right click menu is more for power users than anything else anyways and the only people tossing a fit over shutdown are the "power users" on here.

#56 vetScorpus

Scorpus

Tim Schiesser

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:20

Anyone got a list of keyboard shortcuts? Not sure where to find 'em.

http://www.neowin.ne...board-shortcuts

#57 Ben Dyson

Ben Dyson

Neowinian

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:31

On the windows bar if you right click on a app you pin it or close it.

#58 BeerFan

BeerFan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 March 2012 - 13:34

Well, just got done playing with Windows 8 and Windows 8 Server for several hours, and this is my contribution to the subject.

Tip: Microsoft really screwed the pooch on this one from an administrative side. Avoid the OS like it was vista all over again.

Trick: I won't fall for it this time either Microsoft. You got me on Windows ME. You didn't get me on Vista, and you won't get me on this one either. I refuse to support any person that buys this hunk of junk unless it's to format the machine and go back to Windows 7 with the downgrade rights that will be built into the licensing for this.

Posted Image

They're not "workarounds", they're shortcuts. The other way of shutting down (using mouse gesture to bring up the charms bar) is perfectly fine, but there are keyboard shortcuts which power users can use to expedite the process.

Technically true. But I think the point of all these posts related to shutting down is that it has become cumbersome to do it in the way that the majority of users are used to. I still want to be able to click Start -> Shutdown - quick, 2-click access to a very commonly used command. I'm not resistant to change if it's an improvement; but clearly this is not.

#59 Varemenos

Varemenos

Varemara ©

Posted 04 March 2012 - 00:36

You can also do this:
press "CTRL ALT DEL" --> power button

#60 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 04 March 2012 - 00:48

In order to decrease the title bar height and adjust the fonts for Windows 8 Aero, export the following Registry key from a Windows 7 installation with the settings you want:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

Then import the .reg file into Windows 8. Works like a charm. Caveat: Changing the theme will reset this tweak.