Is this acceptable to Windows 8 users and why?

While you license the OS from Microsoft, you license your apps from their developers. Microsoft really should have no say in the matter. MSE, for example, has repeatedly flagged apps I use as malicious or "hacking tools", even though I know they are perfectly safe.

hmm. you are absolutely right.....

While you license the OS from Microsoft, you license your apps from their developers. Microsoft really should have no say in the matter. MSE, for example, has repeatedly flagged apps I use as malicious or "hacking tools", even though I know they are perfectly safe.

Well, I haven't read the EULA, but I'm pretty sure if it's sold from the Marketplace, MS assumes control of the license.

It will be interesting to see if Apple and MS take this too far and more techies move towards Linux. Obviously Apple is having some issues getting developers to buy into their sandboxing idea.

wait, aren't people supposed to be used to this already? Apple and Google both already do this, and i'm sure with Google touting 850k activations a day, everyone here owns either a iOS/ Android device. Which means you guys here have already accepted similar terms of service from the Android marketplace and iTunes App Store.

Windows 8 is only just following suit, but of course, people need to find things to complain about, because this is Microsoft.

I cant say anything about the OSX Lion or Mountain line EULA so I am assuming you are referring to IOS and Android. That being said, my desktop PC is NOT a tablet or phone, it is my workstation, and I am not to keen on having this kind of control on it.

I'm fine with the measure as-long-as I'm fully reimbursed if I paid for the app they want to nuke from devices.

This ^

Don't forget that this "feature" is only for apps provided by Microsoft through their store, nothing else. The only time MS would remove an app is if something was discovered wrong with it after it had already been approved. They're not just going to start arbitrarily uninstalling apps for other reasons, they'd be sued to high heaven if they did.

The last time I checked, a "boot loader hack" or an "unlock tool" were not metro apps, therefore have absolutely nothing to do with this policy in Microsoft's EULA. Go ahead and take off that tinfoil hat now.

No, but this EULA clause is one step closer to a closed system instead of an open system, and if you honestly cannot see the progression to centralized app stores and locked booting partitions you are blind.

Well, I haven't read the EULA, but I'm pretty sure if it's sold from the Marketplace, MS assumes control of the license.

Somehow I highly doubt that. And that clause doesn't just say Marketplace apps, it says "any app" and "for any reason".

Yeah, iOS does this on the iTouch/iPhone. Frankly, I don't care unless I purchased it and then I send out emails. I had this happen to me twice.

I've just opened up the lience file in Microsoft Word and the whole "Microsoft may remove an app" comes under two sections:

II. SAMPLE APPLICATION LICENSE TERMS

II. SAMPLE APPLICATION LICENSE TERMS

These license terms are an agreement between Microsoft and you. Please read them. They apply to the sample applications (?apps?) that may come preinstalled with the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. This agreement also applies to any updates and supplements for the apps, unless other terms accompany those items. If so, those terms apply.

BY CLICKING ?I ACCEPT? BELOW OR BY USING THE APPS, YOU ACCEPT THESE TERMS. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THEM, DO NOT CLICK ?I ACCEPT? AND DO NOT USE THE APPS.

If the apps enable access to any Internet-based services, your use of those services will be subject to separately-provided terms of use.

If you comply with these license terms, you have the rights below.

1. USE RIGHTS; EXPIRATION
. You may use the apps only on your licensed copy of Windows 8 Consumer Preview and only for testing purposes. These rights expire when your license to Windows 8 Consumer Preview expires.
Microsoft may remove an app from your devices at any time, for any reason.
For example, this may be done to respond to legal or contractual requirements or security concerns.

It does state "Microsoft may remove an app from your devices at any time, for any reason. " again later on page 14 under the software heading which then goes onto say:

7. Software

If you receive software from us as part of the service, its use is governed in one of two ways: If you're presented with license terms that you must accept in order to use the software, those terms apply; if no license is presented to you, the terms of this contract apply. We reserve all other rights to the software.

You may use the software only on your licensed copy of Windows 8 Consumer Preview and only for testing purposes. These rights expire when your license to Windows 8 Consumer Preview expires. Microsoft may remove an app from your devices at any time, for any reason. For example, this may be done to respond to legal or contractual requirements or security concerns.

so, only i always prefer Linux....

Haha, funny guy. It was only a few months ago Canonical was debating removing Java from all machines. They have complete control over any programs you download from their repo.

At least in this case it only applies to WinRT apps, not Win32 programs, like Ubuntu. :)

Google has (on very rare occasions) removed apps from peoples Android devices. Apple has done this too with iOS. This is normal behavior. This only applies to Metro apps to get rid of rogue apps.

Two pretty large systems already employ this strategy as mentioned previously (iOS and Android).

I can't recall a time where a app was removed where it was not genuinely malicious.

Many apps have been removed from the App stores themselves, but if you bought the app before then are usually free to keep it. I'm thinking of the tethering apps for iPhone that snuck through which enabled tethering illegally. The apps were quickly pulled but I never recall them being actually pulled from the devices.

So as long as Microsoft employ the same strategy and ONLY remove the dangerous apps, then why should it be a problem? If you dislike the policy, don't use the marketplace.

I understand that the matter is debatable.

Here is why I think this is acceptable in this case.

1) You get App Store apps from MS (and pay MS). So it's now MS business to ensure your safety while using those apps. Also I think MS is legally obliged to pull the app instances if the app is illegal.

2) App Store apps are self-contained and MS always knows what's inside. So they can be safely removed.

My guess is that it functions as both a rogue-app killswitch (as some others have mentioned) and a piracy defense. If a user were to install a pirated version of a metro app, Microsoft would hypothetically be able to detect whether or not the user payed for the app and remove it remotely.

No, it is not acceptable that Microsoft can remove something I've installed to my workstation at any time for any reason. Maybe if they state a set of reasons it could be acceptable, but as it stands today, I could not accept that.