ccleaner users: a warning

i was wondering why my metro-y control panel items had completely stopped working and it turned out it was my own silly fault. i really shouldn't be using system cleaning software on an OS it wasn't made for.

here is the offending item:

ccleaner%208.png

make sure you untick this option. if you don't, you can see to the right what it deletes.

if it's already too late and you need to fix this, run sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt and that will restore the files.

hopefully the time i've wasted tracking this down might be useful to others. :p

Question, why would you be using CCleaner? We're not in the XP days anymore.

I have CCleaner scheduled to run automatically every night. It cleans out all the cookies that I do not need as I do not want sites tracking my activities unnecessarily. Am not doing anything that I don't want anyone to know but dislike the idea of my privacy not being under my control. (There's certain cookies that I "trust" that I've tagged to keep).

Question, why not, it's Windows after all! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Too bad the first comment had to be from a hater. I guess they can keep 10,000 useless files on their computer at all times.

I haven't tried it on Windows 8 yet, but doesn't ticking that checkbox give you a warning anyway? Hmm, guess not. I've always thought that was an odd thing to tick anyway.

Why the hell wouldn't you be? I use Windows 7, and I use it to clear out files I don't need anymore.

Hater?

Must be really hard to go in AppData, and remove only the things you need to remove.

Well, you may have memorized every temp location of every program on your computer (and they aren't all in AppData, trust me...) but for the rest of us mortals we prefer a one click solution as opposed to the several thousand clicks (and hours) that it would take to do manually.

Well, you may have memorized every temp location of every program on your computer (and they aren't all in AppData, trust me...) but for the rest of us mortals we prefer a one click solution as opposed to the several thousand clicks (and hours) that it would take to do manually.

I really don't know what applications you use, but everything is located in AppData - Local, AppData - Roaming, and ProgramData.

Doing it manually will save you the troubles that can come up with automatic 'cleaning' tools, and give you better knowledge. It also takes less than a dozen seconds to do the job. Hours, :laugh:!

I really don't know what applications you use, but everything is located in AppData - Local, AppData - Roaming, and ProgramData.

Doing it manually will save you the troubles that can come up with automatic 'cleaning' tools, and give you better knowledge. It also takes less than a dozen seconds to do the job. Hours, :laugh:!

Not everything is located there...What about cleaning files from other programs that don't store data in that directory? Plus, selecting the programs I want to cleanup and clicking a button is way faster than doing it manually.
  • Like 1

Are you really that ignorant? In fact, CCleaner is used in many enterprises in their IT department (mine included). Who wouldn't want to use it? Its one of the best System-wide file cleanup programs. Its even become useful on the Mac. However, I never use it to clean up my shortcuts, or in a test release version of a product (i.e. Win 8), as the program isn't written to support the OS "officially". Plus, not everything is located in the AppData folder and sub-folders.

I'm sorry, but it isn't Windows 95 days where you need to clean all the temp files yourself. Go ahead and do yours manually if you'd like. I'll take CCleaner any day to save myself time (and my clients and end users).

• Like 1

Thanks for the warning :)

As I hope to be using the Metro experience as much as possible, I hope to not have a use for CCleaner once Windows 8 is released :)

but doesn't ticking that checkbox give you a warning anyway?

i'm not sure. i'm using the same portable install from what i used on 7 and it didn't even occur to me to check the settings. it's one of those things you do on auto-pilot. :p

after unticking that one option i've had no issues. as someone else mentioned above, the main reason i use it for clearing internet temp files but at the same time keeping selected cookies in place. all the other stuff is just a bonus.