Lifetime Driving Ban

CRANSTON, R.I. (CBS Connecticut/AP) ? A Rhode Island judge says he imposed a lifetime driving ban on a 17-year-old boy after a serious car accident because he wanted to send a message about reckless driving

Judge William Guglietta revoked Lyle Topa?s license for the rest of his life on Tuesday in connection with the Oct. 23 crash in Charlestown. Topa and three other Chariho High School students were injured when their car crashed into a tree

http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/2012/03/02/judge-imposes-lifetime-driving-ban-on-17-year-old-boy/

yea, lifetime? when he grows up in 5-10 years, and he's realized that he was an idiot back then, it won't do much good holding him back from getting a license...

Move out of Rhode Island and get a diffrent state driver's license and stay out of Rhoe Island. I want to see the judge's record for other drivers like drunk drivers.

Way to create another unlicensed driver on the roads in a few years.

Lifetime ban is just stupid, people who shoot someone in the face can be walking the streets again in 10-15

Quote from the article:

Topa was driving with a suspended license at the time of the accident, according to The Westerly Sun.

Also:

Topa?s lawyer says the penalty is too harsh and may be improper. But the teen can apply to the court to get his license back.

The kid was already on a suspended license, and then drove anyways. He deserved a harsh punishment. If you read the article, the judge acknowledges it is the harshest sentence possible. Also, he can appeal at a later date it seems, so it's not even absolute. Don't see any problems here.

OP, the article isn't even that long, why didn't you just post the entire thing?

Uh, no. As with anything, people can often become better with practice and experience.

expecting everyone to be a good driver when they start would be like expecting all surgeons to be the best in the world when they start

An overzealous judge? How about lifetime sentences for paedophiles and murderers?

I don't condone what this guy for a second, driving while his license was suspended, driving into a tree and putting his friend into a coma for weeks but i'm sure he will grow up to realise his mistake.

hmm dunno..... this kid might be a lil prick and deserver a life of failure, you cant survive in this world with out a car IMO or atleast a motorbike...

Uh, no. As with anything, people can often become better with practice and experience.

Come to the US and you will change your mind, I've seen people of all ages doing some of the most ignorant things while driving, and not just men, women too, so yes at least in many people's experiences, once a bad driver, always a bad driver.

hmm dunno..... this kid might be a lil prick and deserver a life of failure, you cant survive in this world with out a car IMO or atleast a motorbike...

I don't have a car and I get by just fine ;)

Come to the US and you will change your mind, I've seen people of all ages doing some of the most ignorant things while driving, and not just men, women too, so yes at least in many people's experiences, once a bad driver, always a bad driver.

But that is only the case with some people, not everyone. That's the problem with that belief. Some people who are initially bad drivers will become better, so it would be completely unfair to assume they will always be a bad driver.

On the other side of my home town two girls were knocked by a driver, he was found guilty on two counts of death by not driving with due care and attention, he's got banned for two years and got community service 0.o

really depends where you live. If you live and work in a downtown area of any major city, you can do fine without a vehicle. Look at New York.

really depends where you live. If you live and work in a downtown area of any major city, you can do fine without a vehicle. Look at New York.

new york is basically a car park isnt it? motor bikes would be perfect for that xD :p they should change the conjested areas to public transport, taxis, bikes and motor bikes only :p

I don't have a car and I get by just fine ;)

Depends on where you live, as to whether that's feasible or not. It wouldn't be around here (southern US atm).