Breast Pumps and TSA

LIHUE, Hawaii -- The Transportation Security Administration in Hawaii says an agent was wrong to tell a nursing mother she couldn't board an airplane with her breast pump.

The TSA tells KITV the agent at the Kauai airport mistakenly told Amy Strand she could only bring the pump onboard if the bottles contained milk.

She was allowed to board after pumping in a bathroom and showing the full bottles to the agent.

Strand was traveling home to Maui with her 9-month-old daughter Wednesday when her pump raised questions during screening.

She asked for a private place to pump and was told to go to the women's restroom. Strand says the only outlet was next to a sink facing a wall of mirrors, so she had to stand in front of others.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/03/tsa-hawaii-agent-made-mistake-about-breast-pump/

TSA = totally stupid a**holes.

One of the worst organized, irrational agencies staffed with robotniks in a govt. full of such nonsense. Grrrr....

I know. It just needs to go away now.

TSA = totally stupid a**holes.

One of the worst organized, irrational agencies staffed with robotniks in a govt. full of such nonsense. Grrrr....

Not so fast, DocM. :unsure:

It's noted in the news video clip that the mother had (understandably) "accompanying accessory", in addition to the breast pump. I believe there's mention of a cooler pack/ice pack in the clip; and TSAs aren't paid, nor trained for that matter, to assume anything - the substance(s) in both the baby bottle(s) and cooler/ice pack(s) could (theoretically) have an equal possible chance of what they may appear to be or something(s) extremely hazardous in nature.

You also have to consider liability/accountability on the TSA's part. I take it you can recall the absolute s**tstorm of "blame-gaming" and finger-pointing after it was discovered that the hijackers that conducted the 9/11 attacks were not properly screened for their respective flights on that day. Three guesses on which agency that critical f***up eventually was blamed on. When it comes to substances that a TSA agent is not 100% certain of its nature or origin, that TSA is bound by law, to both examine, and dispose of it (if necessary, and possible).

• Like 1

Not so fast, DocM. :unsure:

It's noted in the news video clip that the mother had (understandably) "accompanying accessory", in addition to the breast pump. I believe there's mention of a cooler pack/ice pack in the clip; and TSAs aren't paid, nor trained for that matter, to assume anything - the substance(s) in both the baby bottle(s) and cooler/ice pack(s) could (theoretically) have an equal possible chance of what they may appear to be or something(s) extremely hazardous in nature.

You also have to consider liability/accountability on the TSA's part. I take it you can recall the absolute s**tstorm of "blame-gaming" and finger-pointing after it was discovered that the hijackers that conducted the 9/11 attacks were not properly screened for their respective flights on that day. Three guesses on which agency that critical f***up eventually was blamed on. When it comes to substances that a TSA agent is not 100% certain of its nature or origin, that TSA is bound by law, to both examine, and dispose of it (if necessary, and possible).

even though the TSA are people who couldn't get a job at Walmart and are total freakin R-Tards, i have to totally agree with this reply

Necessary evil I guess. If you abolish the TSA, it wouldn't take long for terrorists to start testing and implementing an attack. Most of the people that work for the TSA are actually compassionate people from my experience. They do not want to ruin your vacation. For the millions of people they deal with on a daily basis, these stories sure don't happen all that frequently.

To each their own I guess.

Necessary evil I guess. If you abolish the TSA, it wouldn't take long for terrorists to start testing and implementing an attack. Most of the people that work for the TSA are actually compassionate people from my experience. They do not want to ruin your vacation. For the millions of people they deal with on a daily basis, these stories sure don't happen all that frequently.

To each their own I guess.

The TSA has a great reputation of failed services with countless stories of failures on their part in every aspect that they cover. We are no safer now then we were before. Calling them a necessary evil just goes to show the type of attitude that continues to let them continue wasting tax dollars and resources.

When it comes to substances that a TSA agent is not 100% certain of its nature or origin, that TSA is bound by law, to both examine, and dispose of it (if necessary, and possible).

I think you missed the part where they wouldn't let her board the plane with EMPTY bottles, but let her go to the bathroom, pump her milk, and return and board the plane with full ones. Oh, and the TSA didn't exist prior to 9/11, so I'm not sure what you meant when you claimed that they got blamed for the terrorists getting onboard those planes.

I think you missed the part where they wouldn't let her board the plane with EMPTY bottles, but let her go to the bathroom, pump her milk, and return and board the plane with full ones. Oh, and the TSA didn't exist prior to 9/11, so I'm not sure what you meant when you claimed that they got blamed for the terrorists getting onboard those planes.

I did have that detail in mind, roadwarrior. In that respect, it's clearly evident to me that the TSA agent was being overly-cautious, but understandably so by verifying that the pump was actually a pump (and not some innovative, uniquely-crafted paraphernalia component or something).

It looks like I made a factual flub with my first post (fatigue is bastitch, I tell ya'); I was using erroneous referential shorthand to the division(s) of the FAA that previously handled the jobs that the current agency known as the TSA now handle. :blush:

What is TSA? Are they like the Aussie Customs? If so, I don't see a problem. Do what they say and it'll be over faster than complaining about it. They might had ensured the pump is intended for breast pumping and not other sinister purpose. These things happens all over the world, not just in the "central of the world" USA.

TSA = Transportation Safety Administration, a part of the Dept. of Homeland Security responsible for screening passengrs & luggage etc. Instead of following the very successful Israeli model which uses advanced profiling, or any other proven method, the TSA goes out of it's way to inconvenience and annoy nearly everyone.

Ex: See yhat 5 year old girl - lets do a full pat-down including groping her groin. Ditto the wheelchaired 90 year old lady, and while we're at it let's go after her urine or colostomy bag.

I did have that detail in mind, roadwarrior. In that respect, it's clearly evident to me that the TSA agent was being overly-cautious, but understandably so by verifying that the pump was actually a pump (and not some innovative, uniquely-crafted paraphernalia component or something).

To be fair that doesnt actually prove the pump to be a pump. She could have dumped milk in there for all the TSA knows. From the article, it doesnt even suggest that she was supervised during the pumping.

She was allowed to board after pumping in a bathroom and showing the full bottles to the agent.

The only thing clearly evident of is the lack of proper training of the TSA agent. Which seems to be more and more so.

To be fair that doesnt actually prove the pump to be a pump. She could have dumped milk in there for all the TSA knows. From the article, it doesnt even suggest that she was supervised during the pumping.

Nah, everything a person is traveling with is examined via the scanners nowadays. If the TSA agent excused the mom to go pump milk with the (presumable) pump, then she most likely took the pump, and the pump alone. If the agent let her take other stuff with her... well, then, that was an epic fail of a screen.

The only thing clearly evident of is the lack of proper training of the TSA agent. Which seems to be more and more so.

Maybe. However, I'd prefer to deal the TSA agent(s) vehemently overzealous about his/her duties than those that are not, for safety's sake.

I respect what TSA does. What we do need is to let everybody know the do's & dont's of flying from TSA's point of view. General knowledge about flying manners & protocol will make things much smoother for everybody.

That said, I haven't been on an airplane since the last 20 years :rofl:

Nah, everything a person is traveling with is examined via the scanners nowadays. If the TSA agent excused the mom to go pump milk with the (presumable) pump, then she most likely took the pump, and the pump alone. If the agent let her take other stuff with her... well, then, that was an epic fail of a screen.

Maybe. However, I'd prefer to deal the TSA agent(s) vehemently overzealous about his/her duties than those that are not, for safety's sake.

Yes it was scanned so there really was no need to provide milk in the first place. By the article, she was told to take the pump to the bathroom and pump for milk. So we know she had the pump. No where does it say that she was observed by TSA pumping, so if you are going to presume anything, an open option would be that the milk could very well be bought milk. My point still stands, telling her to bring the bottles back full does no automatically equate pumping. Which goes to show that it was a very stupid and ignorant mistake by the TSA in the first place. Their scanning and wiping method, which was exactly what my wife just went through 3 weeks ago, is the standard procedure.

Again you seem to have this misconception that you are safer because of the TSA. Given the number of stories that pop up each and every year of failures by the TSA, its a bit of blinders on type thinking.

I respect what TSA does. What we do need is to let everybody know the do's & dont's of flying from TSA's point of view. General knowledge about flying manners & protocol will make things much smoother for everybody.

Like dont keep money and valuables in your luggage?