thinking about building a PC

first time new newbie noob

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 +imachip

imachip

Neowinian

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:17

Just asking, why the Blu-Ray Rewriter and the audio card? Often an external storage HD is a easier option to manage backups and the board outputs to 7.1 anyway. Blu-Ray readers are around £40.

I agree with getting a cheapish video card though (I'd recommend a GT 520 which you can pick up for £35). The Intel 2000 isn't really good for other than basic desktop things and you may notice some slowdowns during use.

Perhaps if you want to make the PC quiet (which I would in your case if it's mainly for watching movies and listening to music is invest in some fans (the sharktoon 120mm ones on the case are probably quiet noisy) and a fan speed controller for them.

#17 +imachip

imachip

Neowinian

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:29

Oh and you probably don't need such an expensive Z68 motherboard. The extra features on the one you linked are aimed at overclockers and gamers. Novatech has the Asus P8Z68-V for £80.

#18 OP Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:39

Just asking, why the Blu-Ray Rewriter and the audio card? Often an external storage HD is a easier option to manage backups and the board outputs to 7.1 anyway. Blu-Ray readers are around £40.

I agree with getting a cheapish video card though (I'd recommend a GT 520 which you can pick up for £35). The Intel 2000 isn't really good for other than basic desktop things and you may notice some slowdowns during use.

Perhaps if you want to make the PC quiet (which I would in your case if it's mainly for watching movies and listening to music is invest in some fans (the sharktoon 120mm ones on the case are probably quiet noisy) and a fan speed controller for them.

I thought I needed a sound card to listen to music?

I'll look into your other points, thanks :)

#19 JJ_

JJ_

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:49

When they become non-noobs? :p

Seems fine with my current PC, and I could always buy a new case + PSU if it doesn't work out, right?

The problem with generic no name PSU's that are bundled free with cases is they tend to die/smoke and cause other problems in my experience locking up the computer but extremes are short/fry your expensive components etc. There are a select few case manufacturers who bundle half decent PSU's such as Coolermaster but it's typical for first time PC builders to pass on a decent brand PSU.

I thought I needed a sound card to listen to music?

I'll look into your other points, thanks :)

Nope, most motherboards have built in sound cards. I would suggest going for an Asus mobo for good reliability and driver support.

#20 x9248

x9248

Neowinian

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:54

Wow that's like $900, and you didn't add an aftermarket GPU with it either. Really expensive over there :p

As for the case/PSU you already have, is it from a premade company like Dell or HP? I used to have a Dell that needed a new PSU, but the screw holes didn't line up with anything that wasn't a Dell PSU. So rather than buying both I just tossed the PC lol.

As for the sound you don't need a sound card, the onboard sound is all you need.

#21 OP Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:02

The problem with generic no name PSU's that are bundled free with cases is they tend to die/smoke and cause other problems in my experience locking up the computer but extremes are short/fry your expensive components etc. There are a select few case manufacturers who bundle half decent PSU's such as Coolermaster but it's typical for first time PC builders to pass on a decent brand PSU.

Nope, most motherboards have built in sound cards. I would suggest going for an Asus mobo for good reliability and driver support.

Thanks.

Updated list:

£79.99 - Motherboard - Asus P8Z68-V LX Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) Motherboard
£89.99 - Processor - Core i3 2120
£44.99 - Memory - Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
£35.99 - PSU - Corsair CX 430W V2 ATX2.2 80 PLUS® Power Supply
£55.99 - SSD - OCZ Agility 3 SATA III 2.5" 60GB Solid State Hard Drive
£72.98 - HDD - Western Digital Caviar Green Power 1TB 64MB Cache Hard Disk Drive SATAII 300MB/s <8.9ms - OEM
£47.98 - Case - Sharkoon T9 Value Gaming Case Black with Red LED Fans - (No PSU)
£45.98 - BR/CDRW drive - Samsung TS-LB23P Slim Internal Blu Ray Combo Drive
£38.99 - gfx card - Asus GeForce GT 520 1024MB GDDR3

TOTAL - £512.88

Wow that's like $900, and you didn't add an aftermarket GPU with it either. Really expensive over there :p

As for the case/PSU you already have, is it from a premade company like Dell or HP? I used to have a Dell that needed a new PSU, but the screw holes didn't line up with anything that wasn't a Dell PSU. So rather than buying both I just tossed the PC lol.

As for the sound you don't need a sound card, the onboard sound is all you need.

The case is this one:

http://www.novatech....es/galaxy3.html

Seems like a really popular one.

#22 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:40

Thanks.

Updated list:

£79.99 - Motherboard - Asus P8Z68-V LX Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) Motherboard --- (Y)
£89.99 - Processor - Core i3 2120 --- Get the 2100 save a few £
£44.99 - Memory - Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit--- (Y)
£35.99 - PSU - Corsair CX 430W V2 ATX2.2 80 PLUS® Power Supply--- (Y)
£55.99 - SSD - OCZ Agility 3 SATA III 2.5" 60GB Solid State Hard Drive--- (Y)
£72.98 - HDD - Western Digital Caviar Green Power 1TB 64MB Cache Hard Disk Drive SATAII 300MB/s <8.9ms - OEM--- (Y)
£47.98 - Case - Sharkoon T9 Value Gaming Case Black with Red LED Fans - (No PSU)--- This looks like a good (Y)
£45.98 - BR/CDRW drive - Samsung TS-LB23P Slim Internal Blu Ray Combo Drive--- (Y)
£38.99 - gfx card - Asus GeForce GT 520 1024MB GDDR5 --- Get the 6670 one. Its just a few £ more, but well, well worth the money. I know you won't be gaming on this, but this is downright waste of money.

#23 TEX4S

TEX4S

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:17

Good thinking on the PSU. I realize this is a budget system, but are you sure on that case ? Why not get something that doesnt have a light inside, and a window ? That case screams "Made in China with the cheapest material possible !"

Same price, just a normal, black case - much classier.

When you have more $$ and are ready to build a better rig - then it will be time to get some badass case with a window & lights.

#24 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:18

For Case, I would suggest you to have a look at Fracture Design Mid Tower.
Excellent one (Y)

#25 TCA

TCA

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Android

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:41

I'm thinking about building a PC for the first time.

Does anybody have any recommended resources to read before I attempt this? I've read lots of different articles, but as with everything on the internet there's a lot of conflicting advice. For example some websites say preventing static isn't that important, while others say it's incredibly important and can kill the components within a PC.

Thought about buying this but I don't know if it's any good:

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0764542478

easiest way is to get a kit, they have them at newegg.com that's how i'm going to be doing mine soon.

https://www.google.c...iw=1920&bih=926

#26 Digilodger

Digilodger

Neowinian

• OS: Windows 8 Consumer Preview, Windows 7, Ubuntu 11.10

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:09

I'm thinking about building a PC for the first time. Does anybody have any recommended resources to read before I attempt this?

Right now is probably a bad time to build a PC or Hackintosh.

Intel's Ivy Bridge processors are (supposedly) coming out in June of this year. Why not wait for them?

Microsoft's Windows 8 and Apple's Mountain Lion are also coming out later this year. If you're looking at a Hackintosh or just a normal PC, then you probably want to wait for them, too. However, if you're looking at a gaming PC, then you probably want to stick with Windows 7 because it is well-supported as of now.

USB 2.0 is dying out (and probably will become the new floppy disk within 3 years or so); USB 3.0 is quickly becoming the new standard. This would be a problem if you happen to buy a motherboard that doesn't support many USB 3.0 ports. Also, SSD is gaining popularity fast! I'm thinking that within 5 years from now, new computers would come with either SSD only or SSD + HDD.

Yeah, sure, you can upgrade. But that would cost additional money to replace the parts or software. Even then, for example, replacing an entire motherboard is no fun task.

My point is that right now is the time when we're saying goodbye to old technology like USB 2.0, CDs, Sandy Bridge, HDD, etc. How about wait for one or two more years before jumping into this? By then, we would have many more up-to-date guides compare to now.

#27 htcz

htcz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:20

How does this look?

£129.98 - Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P
£89.99 - Processor - Core i3 2120
£44.99 - Memory - Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
£35.99 - PSU - Corsair CX 430W V2 ATX2.2 80 PLUS® Power Supply
£55.99 - SSD - OCZ Agility 3 SATA III 2.5" 60GB Solid State Hard Drive
£72.98 - HDD - Western Digital Caviar Green Power 1TB 64MB Cache Hard Disk Drive SATAII 300MB/s <8.9ms - OEM
£34.99 - Sound card - Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio - OEM
£47.98 - Case - Sharkoon T9 Value Gaming Case Black with Red LED Fans - (No PSU)
£73.98 - BR Rewriter - Samsung SN-506AB Slim Internal Blu Ray ReWriter Drive - OEM

TOTAL - £586.87

Would be ordering everything from novatech.co.uk as they have very competitive prices :D

Thanks

Personally, if it is not out of your budget and raises the price just a little bit, Id go for the i5. i3 is budget orientated.

Other than that, looks pretty good.

Had no idea Blu ray writers have gotten so cheap (88 euros). Might invest in one in the future (although never needed)

You might be intrested in a Asus instead of a Creative as they are bitches with future driver support.

I completely disagree with this statement. A addon card gives you better quality. Yes, I agree that in most cases most people will NOT notice this and a on board is more than enough but still......

My point is that right now is the time when many things are reaching their end-of-life. How about wait for one or two more years before jumping into this? By then, we would have many more up-to-date guides compare to now.

Worst advice ever.

PC building is a "second by second" technology were what you buy today, is worth near nothing tommorow because technogly updates itself SO fast.......

Ivy Bridge may be the ONLY thing to wait for but then again, his price will shoot sky rocket.

#28 Digilodger

Digilodger

Neowinian

• OS: Windows 8 Consumer Preview, Windows 7, Ubuntu 11.10

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:34

Worst advice ever.

PC building is a "second by second" technology were what you buy today, is worth near nothing tommorow because technogly updates itself SO fast.......

Ivy Bridge may be the ONLY thing to wait for but then again, his price will shoot sky rocket.

But for example, his choice of motherboard right now is Asus P8Z68-V LX Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) Motherboard; it only has two USB 3.0 ports--and both of them are in the back. That's no good!

You're right; he's putting a lot of money into this. That's why we want this machine to at least stay with the technology for at least 5 years from now with minimal upgrading. Technology does advance fast, but it usually take an average of 3 years before the next new thing come out. If he buys that motherboard right now, he'd be regretting it 3 years from now.

Besides, SSD's prices are dropping. So he might be able to catch one on sale for pretty close to about the rate of $1 USD per 1GB later on (right now there's no reason to buy SSDs when they aren't on sale if we have a budget concern).

Just by waiting one more year, he would get much more up-to-date hardware with about the same price as of now--and he wouldn't need to upgrade anything (maybe with the exception of graphic card and OS) for 4 or 5 years down the road unless he's a heavy gamer.

#29 +imachip

imachip

Neowinian

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:26

I'm sorry but I disagree with you on a few points. If you read his posts, his he's currently having issues with his computer and he's not a heavy gamer. Thus it's probably better to replace the system rather than wait and see for another year or spend more on his current setup to repair it or wait till the new Nvidia gfx cards come out.

An SSD brings quick boot times and responsive program launches. It's one of the 'must haves' on any new system unless you're on a tight budget. Plus installing the SSD later would bring further complications such as effort involved in rebuilding the OS.

The i3 is an extremely good processor giving great speed for its value. I doubt the i5 would be worth the extra investment and will add heat/noise to the system. Yes he could wait a month or two for Ivy Bridge, but would there be a significant benefit? I'm not so sure... Main perks are for laptop users to improve battery life.

More internal USB 3.0 may be nice (so you can just the front USB 3.0 connectors on your case) but it might be a moot point if you don't use them :) Up to you.

Oh one thought for the OP, you haven't included Windows 7 in your pricing. Not sure if you needed it but just to mention it in case...

#30 OP Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 March 2012 - 13:01

Good thinking on the PSU. I realize this is a budget system, but are you sure on that case ? Why not get something that doesnt have a light inside, and a window ? That case screams "Made in China with the cheapest material possible !"

Same price, just a normal, black case - much classier.

When you have more $$ and are ready to build a better rig - then it will be time to get some badass case with a window &amp; lights.

The case is cheap, looks good (to me) and has good reviews - albeit a limited number of them :p

Nothing on this list is final though; this is a first for me so I'm open to suggestions.

Cheers.

For Case, I would suggest you to have a look at Fracture Design Mid Tower.
Excellent one (Y)

Looks like almost double the price - what would you say the advantages are? Thanks.

easiest way is to get a kit, they have them at newegg.com that's how i'm going to be doing mine soon.

https://www.google.c...920&#38;bih=926

Newegg doesn't ship to the uk as far as I know :(

Right now is probably a bad time to build a PC or Hackintosh.

Intel's Ivy Bridge processors are (supposedly) coming out in June of this year. Why not wait for them?

Microsoft's Windows 8 and Apple's Mountain Lion are also coming out later this year. If you're looking at a Hackintosh or just a normal PC, then you probably want to wait for them, too. However, if you're looking at a gaming PC, then you probably want to stick with Windows 7 because it is well-supported as of now.

USB 2.0 is dying out (and probably will become the new floppy disk within 3 years or so); USB 3.0 is quickly becoming the new standard. This would be a problem if you happen to buy a motherboard that doesn't support many USB 3.0 ports. Also, SSD is gaining popularity fast! I'm thinking that within 5 years from now, new computers would come with either SSD only or SSD + HDD.

Yeah, sure, you can upgrade. But that would cost additional money to replace the parts or software. Even then, for example, replacing an entire motherboard is no fun task.

My point is that right now is the time when we're saying goodbye to old technology like USB 2.0, CDs, Sandy Bridge, HDD, etc. How about wait for one or two more years before jumping into this? By then, we would have many more up-to-date guides compare to now.

If my current pc wasn't having issues I wouldnt bother upgrading at all, but as it is I'm not sure I've got until June.

Personally, if it is not out of your budget and raises the price just a little bit, Id go for the i5. i3 is budget orientated.

Other than that, looks pretty good.

Had no idea Blu ray writers have gotten so cheap (88 euros). Might invest in one in the future (although never needed)

You might be intrested in a Asus instead of a Creative as they are bitches with future driver support.

I completely disagree with this statement. A addon card gives you better quality. Yes, I agree that in most cases most people will NOT notice this and a on board is more than enough but still......

Worst advice ever.

My current E8400 is plenty fast enough for what I use it for, and the i3 I've looked at performs nearly twice as well in most benchmarks, so it'll be more than good enough I think. :D plus with the addition of the faster ram and ssd, it'll be a massive improvement.

But for example, his choice of motherboard right now is Asus P8Z68-V LX Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) Motherboard; it only has two USB 3.0 ports--and both of them are in the back. That's no good!

You're right; he's putting a lot of money into this. That's why we want this machine to at least stay with the technology for at least 5 years from now with minimal upgrading. Technology does advance fast, but it usually take an average of 3 years before the next new thing come out. If he buys that motherboard right now, he'd be regretting it 3 years from now.

Besides, SSD's prices are dropping. So he might be able to catch one on sale for pretty close to about the rate of $1 USD per 1GB later on (right now there's no reason to buy SSDs when they aren't on sale if we have a budget concern).

Just by waiting one more year, he would get much more up-to-date hardware with about the same price as of now--and he wouldn't need to upgrade anything (maybe with the exception of graphic card and OS) for 4 or 5 years down the road unless he's a heavy gamer.

As previously stated my current pc is having issues so I'm not sure I can wait around to replace it. That said, the motherboard is probably the most important decision to make when building a new system and usb3 is one of the things I want support for. Most of the ones I've looked at only come with two usb3 ports..do you have any suggestions for ones that come with more?

I'm sorry but I disagree with you on a few points. If you read his posts, his he's currently having issues with his computer and he's not a heavy gamer. Thus it's probably better to replace the system rather than wait and see for another year or spend more on his current setup to repair it or wait till the new Nvidia gfx cards come out.

An SSD brings quick boot times and responsive program launches. It's one of the 'must haves' on any new system unless you're on a tight budget. Plus installing the SSD later would bring further complications such as effort involved in rebuilding the OS.

The i3 is an extremely good processor giving great speed for its value. I doubt the i5 would be worth the extra investment and will add heat/noise to the system. Yes he could wait a month or two for Ivy Bridge, but would there be a significant benefit? I'm not so sure... Main perks are for laptop users to improve battery life.

More internal USB 3.0 may be nice (so you can just the front USB 3.0 connectors on your case) but it might be a moot point if you don't use them :) Up to you.

Oh one thought for the OP, you haven't included Windows 7 in your pricing. Not sure if you needed it but just to mention it in case...

There's not that many peripherals that support USB at present but I want it to be somewhat future proofed, so extra USB3 ports would be great if it doesn't add too much to the overall cost.

Thanks for the advice, you understand the position I'm in :) I will need to buy windows 7 as I made the mistake of buying an upgrade edition which I won't be able to use on a new build :(

Edit:

Bearing in mind I'm not a gamer and mainly use my pc for photos, chatting, browsing, YouTube, does anybody think a dedicated gpu is actually worth it? The heaviest games I play are solitaire, FarmVille and bejewelled blitz :p

I watch the odd movie on my pc but mainly use my HDTV for that.

Not going to change as I prefer Xbox for gaming.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!