Android Browser Now Most Popular Mobile Browser

Its a real surprise to me that Firefox is not on the list at all..

top_browser-420x167.png?3995d3

With all the options Android users have for browsers, from

Firefox to Dolphin to Chrome, it?s still not that surprising that the most used is the stock Android browser that comes pre-installed on most Android devices. But how does it stack up over all mobile browsers on all platforms? Apparently, very well, according to the latest statistics report from analytics firmStatCounter.

The Android browser has finally taken the lead over its competitors this month with a 22.67% share, and is now the top mobile browser in the world. Opera comes in a close second at 21.7%, followed by Apple?s 21.06%. This is a 2.47% increase over last year, when the Android browser ended up at 20.2%. Opera dropped from last year?s 24.22%, while Apple?s Safari browser increased from December?s 18.41%.

Nokia came in next at 11.24%, followed by Blackberry at 6.53%, but each is generally trending downward, the latter?s chart looking like a good hill to sled down.

Check out the chart after the break.

StatCounter-mobile_browser-ww-monthly-201102-201202-420x245.jpg?3995d3

Though some of the browser choices available on Android are arguably better than the stock browser, most folks may find Google?s bundled browser to be good enough for most of their uses. If you?re reading this site, you?re probably a little more savvy than most Android users worldwide and have already experimented with alternative browsers, but the fact is that the majority of folks probably just use what comes with their devices.

So what browsers do you use on your Android device?

http://www.talkandroid.com/96517-android-browser-now-most-popular-mobile-browser/

Nice, but as of lately it seems, that iOS' slope is steeper

looks parallel to me.... this has been going on for three months now...

it came close on November but ever since both have maintained same rate of growth.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_browser-ww-monthly-201102-201202

Does this count jsut the browser or anything that runs of of it? Such as the Dolphin browser?

I think the native Android browser sucks, (just as much as the browser in ios, webos, etc), but Dolphin HD makes it worth using :D

So if Dolphin and Android browser have the same client angent call or whatever, then this poll isnt really fair.

there is also dolphin on the list http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_browser-ww-monthly-201102-201202

so its just the browser... I am not a big fan of android browser either but ICS android browser has improved a lot.

I'm using Chrome for Android. ICS' stock browser is kinda OK, but it has some glitches like text getting blurry until the page has finished loading.

Chrome works great, the tab implementation is awesome, and coupled with the sync features and chrome2phone it's just perfect (or it'll be once they implement the ability to change the user agent to get all pages rendered as in the desktop if you want).

I used Dolphin back in Android 2.3.6, but with ICS I just don't find any reason to go with anything other than Chrome.

Aren't studies like this skewed by default? The browser is built in, of course it's the most "popular." Not everyone even knows there are alternative browsers let alone install them & use them instead. Just like Lookout is the most "popular" antivirus for Android. It comes pre-installed on a lot of phones. It's not apparent how to get rid of it even if you do want to install something else.

Not that anything is wrong with either application, but if there is not a choice by the user, then it's not "popular" it's just most used...by default.

Aren't studies like this skewed by default? The browser is built in, of course it's the most "popular." Not everyone even knows there are alternative browsers let alone install them & use them instead. Just like Lookout is the most "popular" antivirus for Android. It comes pre-installed on a lot of phones. It's not apparent how to get rid of it even if you do want to install something else.

Not that anything is wrong with either application, but if there is not a choice by the user, then it's not "popular" it's just most used...by default.

Well, popular can also be understood as "common". It doesn't necessarily imply that it's an active choice.