Dell Openmanage on VMWare ESXi

Question

So I've got a dell poweredge 2950, server was running windows server 2003 as a base OS, but I upgraded to VMWare ESXi 5...

So, openmanage worked perfectly fine on windows, but after moving to VMware and installing the dell openmanage VIB on the ESXi host and putting dell openmanage remote node on a VM, I can try logging it to it and I know the connection is working because I get 'invalid certificate' if I do not ignore SSL errors, but once I ignore SSL errors then I get a common problem (as it appears) with the 'Internal Error'.

I've tried a few solutions to fix it but none of them appear to have worked, so I'm quite confused (and annoyed) at the whole experiance, if a RAID drive fails, I need to reboot and go into the PERC configuration tool from BIOS to add another drive - absolute joke.

Anyone tried/suceeded in setting up dell openmanage on VMware ESXi? Or got any tips on how to get it working, or what services might need enabling / allowed through the firewall?

[root@H3K-OpenManage ~]# wget -q -O - http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/latest/bootstrap.cgi | bash

Downloading GPG key: http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/latest/RPM-GPG-KEY-dell

Key already exists in RPM, skipping

Downloading GPG key: http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/latest/RPM-GPG-KEY-libsmbios

Key already exists in RPM, skipping

Write repository configuration

Downloading repository RPM

[root@H3K-OpenManage ~]# yum -y install srvadmin-all

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror

Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile

* base: mirrors.coreix.net

* extras: mirrors.coreix.net

* updates: mirrors.coreix.net

dell-omsa-indep | 1.9 kB 00:00

dell-omsa-specific | 1.9 kB 00:00

Setting up Install Process

No package srvadmin-all available.

Error: Nothing to do

*whacks head on the table*

complain en-masse on dell's facebook page. everyone on this forum dooo eet.

GOD DAMN, finally after hacking about for ages got it working only to see that bloody 'Login failed... internal error' message again.

Oh **** it.

n_K,

What version of the server app are you using IT Assistant 8.x or OpenManage Essentials? We use a script to install OMSA 6.5 on our ESX 3.5 and 4.1 environments and it reported back to the old and new server app versions.

It's openmanage server management administrator, the windows one (6.5) is from the dell site, the linux one (6.5.3) is from their official repo.

I tried getting both the hosts to connect to each other, windows -> linux gave 'unable to connect', linux -> windows gave the internal error again..

And trying to connect to 127.0.0.1 on both via 'remote node' gave 'unable to connect' on linux and 'internal error' on windows.

Just seems like really **** coding from dell being honest. I mean, maybe I'm just missing something and it's my fault :( but doesn't seem all that likely.

What do you mean it reported back to the old and new server app versions?

This may help people:

http://en.community....bid=gU2pZlKsFfk

Read the post, but also read the comments from people at the bottom of the page!

Already went through all that when I tried it the other month, though I've only just worked out that OME = openmanage essentials... It's a 700MB download, so I'll give that a shot I guess and see if it work.

did you get it to work in 2008? there's a trial you can get from MS's site for 2008 R2 and you can see if that works....

The only windows server 2008 R2 VM I've got uses 2.5GB of RAM, has 2 vCPUs and runs like a slug, plus needs the user to login before any of the server stuff actually loads.

That's compared to my other 2 VMs, one linux one server 03 which use a combined 2GB of RAM.

Quite literally not even going to bother having a 2008 R2 server at all.