IIS AppPool\DefaultAppPool appearing on User dropdown menu

Hi.

I was just wondering if this also happens to other user, that an IIS AppPool\DefaltAppPool User suddenly appears in the User dropdown menu and a DefaultAppPool folder has been created in my Users folder when I never even created that user or folder. Not that it imposes a problem though, I just find it strange that Windows automatically creates it.

Can someone enlighten me as to why such a username is being created and what triggers the creation of such? I'm not that much of a software geek really and it's my first time encountering such a behavior from Windows ever since the Win7 Beta days...And also, how to disable it and remove the said username and folder safely?

Any reply and help would be appreciated.

Sounds like someone logged in as that user which would create the user directory upon first login.

Have you checked the security logs to see if that happened?

Well for a start, IIS is considered a Windows Feature here in Win8, and turns out that some of its functions are turned on. I can't recall though whether this was on by default since I installed Win8 4 days ago. Wasn't installing anything that has IIS connected to it as far as I can remember, and neither can I see an IIS App in the Uninstall Programs panel.

Is there an App present in Win8 that happens to rely in such a service? And if so, what are those apps that trigger the functioning of IIS?

Lastly, what do I do so that I can disable this service and how do I remove the certain username from appearing in the dropdown menu? Because I tried disabling the feature once then removing the username directory from the Users folder, but it still didn't remove the username from the dropdown menu.

Hello!

I just want to say that I resolved the problem at the moment. Did a system restore where the username didn't exist and then I disabled IIS as a Windows feature from that point on. Hopefully this resolves it and that it won't come back anymore.

I appreciated the replies. Thanks a lot. :)