The Official PDC 2003 Thread

Strange.  Says it would take 10 minutes to set up hardware and it takes 30 to 40 minutes to do that on my machine.

Yeh it does the same on mine, dunno if its vmware or what but it took alot longer than previous builds.

Strange. Says it would take 10 minutes to set up hardware and it takes 30 to 40 minutes to do that on my machine. Couldn't believe how much freakin' memory is consumed for just EXPLORER.EXE! In 2000, it's slightly less than 5 MB. In XP, it's between 15 - 20 MB. In Longhorn, it's almost 70 MB! Something tells me that it's going to get even worse unless if one could optimize a version for lower end PC's.

isn't it true that this is a memory leak and there's a fix for it over on winbeta or something like that?

i don't have the build myself yet (damn being 'legal' and waiting for it to arrive in the mail - just ordered today) but i think i read that on another thread...

OMG i just been using this PDC build and have just gone back into xp.

Xp is so plain and boring :x

even without aero, longhorn has much more eye candy... although i didn't think much of the slate theme when i saw it in screenshots its much better in use.

isn't it true that this is a memory leak and there's a fix for it over on winbeta or something like that?

i don't have the build myself yet (damn being 'legal' and waiting for it to arrive in the mail - just ordered today) but i think i read that on another thread...

And I just found that link, thank you! :) MAybe that will make things smooth on my 500 MHz P3! :D

the mem leak will take explorer.exe waaay pass that.. that's how much it is when you first boot or close to that. 400MB mem leaks and goes waaay up to 459MB so far.. OUCH! LOL

Well it should be said one more time :

Alpha build = new things tested, lot's of time is spent on ideas

Beta build = debug, speed up parts, as well as keeping only best ideas from alpha build. A lot of interim builds are released during that time to tweak, debug, track any problems found before.

RC build = (Release Candidate) then you enter the final phase, the time to tune up the os, not the best part but actually you are near to get the final product.

So where does belong the Pdc build ?... Alpha build, so please people be realist on what you may think/believe/see/say : It's an alpha build, so it's basically a show case of what to come. Not the product you will be playing with and whine in 2 years :) ! It's like you see a cake not even baked and say :"awfull" after tasting it...

How do you taste a cake that hasn?t even been baked?

Just wondering....

Do you call it a cake if it?s not baked?

well you see the point here... some people will and some people won't call it a cake.. this is what it is supposed to be when it is "baked".. not before.

So Exact thing with that stupids alpha leaks, whining again and again about features missing or the thing acting like a dog is purelyyy useless ;)...

It will only be usefull if you are part of a beta testing team and there not many people on Neowin will be (well there are a bunch of Msdn geeks here nonetheless ^^ !)

I want a Legitmate copy of LongHorn, anyone knows if they will give it FREE out anywhere?

I am a http://www.microsoft.com/retail Associate, got a lot of Free Microsoft softwares from this channel in the past. How about long horn?

have you ever gotten any beta or alpha products there before? if not, you probably can't get longhorn there. the only legitimate copies i know of were handed out at the PDC.

i installed it on 500mhz p3 with 128mb of ram, and it runs like ****, it takes about 5--10 to start.

i might get other 256mb of ram, (total 386) maybe that will help.

Well it sure takes a long frikin time to install is all I know... That's been over an hour and a half now and it's stiill 'detecting hardware'.... I am using a virtual machine though... but I wonder if it takes this long on a real PC?

Q

i installed it on 500mhz p3 with 128mb of ram, and it runs like ****, it takes about 5--10 to start.

i might get other 256mb of ram, (total 386) maybe that will help.

Disable the sidebar and you should notice a dramatic performance improvement. That's what I did and it now works almost as good as XP did, but the hardware will not be implemented until much later.

yep I tried this build it is dramatically better than the last build, and removing the sidebar saves a LOT of ram.

But it wont work as a ICS client machine, it resolves domain names but wont get any internet traffic, very strange.