Windows 8: My list of improvements

windows 8 improvements

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 Anthonyd

Anthonyd

Neowinian

Posted 05 May 2012 - 15:17

I imagine that the Charm bar will change for the Release Preview, as it is currently to easy to accidentally trigger it - it will often appear when you go to use Aero Peek or the speaker icon. The only time I ever use it is to shut down my computer. If Microsoft simply moved that to the Metro start screen (for instance, to the user tile) then they could disable it by default for non-touch displays. As I've said, I really like Windows 8 but the Charm bar and hot-corners don't really work well, especially on multi-monitor systems.

You are completely out of your mind. The charm bar is an essential part of Windows 8, you use it everytime, especially on metro apps. But it's also very usefull on the desktop, there won't be an option to disable it.

#62 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 05 May 2012 - 15:19

Honestly, not sure if this has been said, but in a multi-monitor setup, have the hot corners appear on the edges of the end monitors.

#63 OP Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 05 May 2012 - 15:37

Honestly, not sure if this has been said, but in a multi-monitor setup, have the hot corners appear on the edges of the end monitors.

Nope. It hasn't be said! :). It must be implemented in some way. Let's see how Release Preview goes.

#64 BeerFan

BeerFan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 May 2012 - 21:19

Nope. It hasn't be said! :). It must be implemented in some way. Let's see how Release Preview goes.

Nah, that would make too much sense! No way would Microsoft would do something like that. :shifty:

#65 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:40

You are completely out of your mind. The charm bar is an essential part of Windows 8, you use it everytime, especially on metro apps. But it's also very usefull on the desktop, there won't be an option to disable it.

I don't think it's fair to say that I'm "out of my mind" when Microsoft has been making radical changes to the interface (just compare the Developer Preview to the Consumer Preview) and is still actively responding to user feedback. I mean, how often do you actually use the charm bar? The only time I ever use it is to shut-down my computer and even then there are keyboard shortcuts and I can use the button on my case. The charm bar serves no purpose on the desktop - only on a tablet. And Metro apps barely make use of it. There's no reason that Microsoft couldn't simply change it so that the charm bar appears when you right-click in Metro apps (afterall, there is no right-click for touch) - they could then remove the charm bar on the desktop, which would get rid of the issue with multi-monitor setups. The issues with multi-monitor setups impacts everyday computer usage, whereas the Charm bar itself is rarely needed.

As for the idea of moving the hot-corners to the far edge of multi-monitors, that really wouldn't work well for my setup. My second display is a HDTV at a 90 degree angle to my main monitor, which is used entirely for media consumption - having the charm bar appear on it would be highly impractical. It still makes more sense to have it on the primary display.

#66 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:15

As for the idea of moving the hot-corners to the far edge of multi-monitors, that really wouldn't work well for my setup. My second display is a HDTV at a 90 degree angle to my main monitor, which is used entirely for media consumption - having the charm bar appear on it would be highly impractical. It still makes more sense to have it on the primary display.

Maybe they could have a switch to choose center, or end monitors. The feeling I get from Windows 8, it seems it would be better workflow to have the corners follow out to the end monitors. It would be nice to have the Start screen extend on all two or all three monitors.

Basically, the monitors all act in unison as one big monitor instead of three daisy chained together.

#67 Anthonyd

Anthonyd

Neowinian

Posted 07 May 2012 - 15:35

I don't think it's fair to say that I'm "out of my mind" when Microsoft has been making radical changes to the interface (just compare the Developer Preview to the Consumer Preview) and is still actively responding to user feedback. I mean, how often do you actually use the charm bar? The only time I ever use it is to shut-down my computer and even then there are keyboard shortcuts and I can use the button on my case. The charm bar serves no purpose on the desktop - only on a tablet. And Metro apps barely make use of it. There's no reason that Microsoft couldn't simply change it so that the charm bar appears when you right-click in Metro apps (afterall, there is no right-click for touch) - they could then remove the charm bar on the desktop, which would get rid of the issue with multi-monitor setups. The issues with multi-monitor setups impacts everyday computer usage, whereas the Charm bar itself is rarely needed.

I'm using the charm bar all the time! On metro apps but also on the start screen and the desktop (try to use search on the desktop).

Saying that a right click should bring the charm bar inside the metro apps just confirms what I said : You are out of your mind. The right click opens the app-bar which is something completely different.

#68 OP Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 19 May 2012 - 19:17

Yay :D They fixed the dual screen setups! Now, to work on some more tweaks....