Epic releases interactive demo for Unreal Engine for Flash Player

UPDATE: More news:

The New Face of Browser-Based Gaming, Courtesy of Unreal Engine 3

Epic Games likes to show off at the Game Developers Conference.

They just did.

They wanted to show how their Unreal Engine running in Flash. In a web browser.

So they showed us Epic Citadel the tech demo used to show off Epic's Unreal Engine 3 on the iPhone and iPad. It looked great. And it was in a browser.

"This isn't your father's Farmville," Epic's Mark Rein said, "this is immersive, 3D, beautiful environments."

Next, he showed Dungeon Defenders, running in Flash, running full-screen. It looked like the Steam and Xbox 360 versions.

And then?

Unreal Tournament III. They showed this before during an Adobe Event, but wanted to make sure we saw that it is, as Rein said, "the game you expect."

The point of all this? To say that the kind of Unreal Engine games that you see on PC, console or iOS could show up in a browser, and it will look like the screens you see here.

Rein said UTIII is not an actual product. Just something to show. A small taste of things to come, proving that Flash is a technology that can enable console-quality experiences in your web browser.

What's next? Remember that stunning Samaritan demo from GDC 2011? "Our longterm goal is to be able to do Samaritan in Flash."

Some screenshots:

http://kotaku.com/5891419/the-new-face-of-browser+based-gaming-courtesy-of-unreal-engine-3

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

The demo itself of the Citadel environment:

R0eV

http://www.unrealengine.com/flash/

You will need Flash Player 11.2 RC0 to play with it.

http://labs.adobe.co...player11-2.html

For those who don't want to install RC0 flash player until it's final:

More demos of the Unreal Engine:

So I'm guessing they are bringing Infinity Blade to computer,, that's awesome. Would still be playing it if I didn't loose my saves.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Flash, at least contemporary development with it, DIE!!!!!

I'm all for keeping up the plugin to have backwards compatibility and being able to play old flash based games that I have on my disk in the future...

But, we need to stop using this legacy POS for anything current.

Glassed Silver:mac

• Like 1

Installed the update and the demo did not work for me. I could see only a flat water texture and the UI for instruction and nothing else.

Pretty neat demo. The assets could be a bit better though.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Flash, at least contemporary development with it, DIE!!!!!

I'm all for keeping up the plugin to have backwards compatibility and being able to play old flash based games that I have on my disk in the future...

But, we need to stop using this legacy POS for anything current.

Um.. it's not legacy when it's years ahead of what we have now. It's called innovation.

Yeah.. why don't we just go and use crap just because it's not a plugin. Wonderful logic.

Um.. it's not legacy when it's years ahead of what we have now. It's called innovation.

Yeah.. why don't we just go and use crap just because it's not a plugin. Wonderful logic.

pretty sure you said the same thing about flash on mobile :whistle:

the only thing legacy here is you and your dinosaur ways of thinking. flash is dying. everyone knows it including adobe. hence why they killed it for mobile and more and more major sites are moving towards html5. one day you will realize it. one day.

also, this doesn't even work for me. i get the exact same result as +littleneutrino does

Um.. it's not legacy when it's years ahead of what we have now.

That demo was originally released 2 years ago, but not on flash. It's not ahead of anything.

pretty sure you said the same thing about flash on mobile :whistle:

the only thing legacy here is you and your dinosaur ways of thinking. flash is dying. everyone knows it including adobe. hence why they killed it for mobile and more and more major sites are moving towards html5. one day you will realize it. one day.

also, this doesn't even work for me. i get the exact same result as +littleneutrino does

Um.. Flash Player for mobile doesn't make sense because nothing runs well on mobile browsers so there was not point in pushing more features to it. At least nothing that needs to be rich in interactivity and animation.

Flash is not dead on mobile. It's called AIR and full 3D GPU acceleration now is available for Flash games on desktop to be ported to mobile.

But I don't expect you to know about any of these cause you are just ignorant about things that don't peddle your narrow views.

And no, Flash is far from dying. Roadmaps shown are impressive and years ahead of any other technology. Not to mention that Flash is being used more and more for both mobile and desktop for immersive 3D accelerated games as well.

Um.. Flash Player for mobile doesn't make sense because nothing runs well on mobile browsers so there was not point in pushing more features to it. At least nothing that needs to be rich in interactivity and animation.

Flash is not dead on mobile. It's called AIR and full 3D GPU acceleration now is available for Flash games on desktop to be ported to mobile.

But I don't expect you to know about any of these cause you are just ignorant about things that don't peddle your narrow views.

oh god the irony...

and nobody needed features in the mobile flash version, people just needed it to work properly more than half the time.

• Like 1

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH, that's so ironic you say that

impressive. Tried it out here @ work on a fairly weak PC with no dedicated graphics. Should be interesting on what games utilize this engine. (btw, I thought flash was dead?)

(btw, I thought flash was dead?)

flash is dying in the mobile market but it's far from dead for desktop computers, as you can see here it's still very much evolving (now if only the same could happen for Java :p)

flash is dying in the mobile market but it's far from dead for desktop computers, as you can see here it's still very much evolving (now if only the same could happen for Java :p)

Flash Player is not going to get new features on mobile. AIR is replacing it for mobile gaming and apps going forward which is definitely the way it should be because mobile browsers are useless for any rich interactivity.

Btw, just released.. Kinect library and framework for AS3. I can't even imagine what awesome things will be made with this when kinect comes to Windows on desktops.

http://www.as3nui.co...ct-2-0-is-here/

Oh no, please don't tell me kinetic with flash will now have ads we have to literally swipe away to get them from taking up the whole screen.

And the kinect SDK for windows was out a LOONG time ago, so windows had kinect support for a while

That demo was originally released 2 years ago, but not on flash. It's not ahead of anything.

What demo? What the hell are you even talking about. This is some revolutionary stuff here. It's ahead of any other technology out there for gaming a browser. It is getting close to Xbox 360 graphics for arcade games. There is nothing out there that will have these games work in a browser, on mobile and across all browsers.

Here's another amazing example of awesome stuff new Flash / AIR are bringing us on both mobile and desktops (full 3D GPU acceleration):

http://youtu.be/F2VlBWdrxcM

It's gonna be awesome

What demo? What the hell are you even talking about.

I'm talking about Epic Citadel, it came out and was developed for iOS in 2010 and the Precursor to Infinity Blade(1&2) another iOS game

http://epicgames.com/technology/epic-citadel

http://epicgames.com/news/epic-games-brings-unreal-engine-3-to-ipad-iphone-and-ipod-touch/. < check the date

It's not revolutionary or ahead of anything.

*will link the epic games article relating to it

*edit just watched the epic citadel video,, LOL OMG it even has the same control scheme. Guessing they expect people to attach two mice to the computer to effectively run it, lol

I'm talking about Epic Citadel, it came out and was developed for iOS in 2010 and the Precursor to Infinity Blade(1&2) another iOS game

http://epicgames.com...gy/epic-citadel

http://epicgames.com...nd-ipod-touch/. < check the date

It's not revolutionary or ahead of anything.

*will link the epic games article relating to it

*edit just watched the epic citadel video,, LOL OMG it even has the same control scheme. Guessing they expect people to attach two mice to the computer to effectively run it, lol

Tell me, what other web-based solution is there out there that offers the same level of features and performance? Because unlike you, we're not comparing Flash - a browser plugin, to native iOS game developement. We're talking about in the realm of what's capable inside a web browser here.

For anyone wondering about in-browser gaming, you can play 4Story (a free and totally awesome MMORPG) in the browser on Windows.

There are other games that use the same underlying technology.

Tell me, what other web-based solution is there out there that offers the same level of features and performance? Because unlike you, we're not comparing Flash - a browser plugin, to native iOS game developement. We're talking about in the realm of what's capable inside a web browser here.

I'm comparing Epic Citadel for Flash to Epic Citadel for iOS, that was said to be awesome and new

If you want to talk about flash, honestly I'm kinda glad that flash is finally able to do stuff that HTML5/ others have been doing for a while, I don't know how long ago Quake ( just checked 2009) was put in browser, let alone some of the Free MMO's that are browser based.

browser gaming isn't new, now the quality of the art for Epic Citadel is nice,,, but literally look at it side by side with the iOS version, it's a exact port, even down to the dual moveable controls. They didn't even bother to change that.

And I checked the system req for the version of flash required to play that demo. It's requires a C2D, if run it on an Atom it required 1GB of memory compared to the 256 on the C2D. That's not lightweight for a simple plugin! But on same note, I don tknow what WebGL and HTML5 need for sys requirements.

*edit - on a side note, where did I say anything about flash the post you quoted! I even stated in the first 5 words I was talking about Epic Citadel which is also the title of this thread