[JAVA, .NET] Need a software registration/licensing tool

Question

Up until now, software engineering has not included any sort of licensing tool in our software, which makes it extremely hard for support to determine warranty, entitlement, etc. We have pushed Product management to do this, but due to inept managers, nobody wanted to do it, causing lost revenue for the company on supporting products we couldn't determine warranty on.

My team has been asked to look into licensing tools that can be included in our software, and while I've seen some for .net apps, I haven't seen any that cover both .net and java. Things we're looking for would be:

*A tool to generate Serial Numbers/Registration keys to give to customers

*Online/Offline activation methods (like Microsoft products, for our military customers who may not be connected to the internet)

*Trial/subscription based license capability (10/15/etc day trials, or reoccurring subscriptions)

* Support JAVA AND .NET applications with one program if possible, so that we can keep track of all software with one tool.

* Features support (so we can control access to certain features of applications)

Thats about it that I can think of right now. One package I was looking at that has decent reviews was http://xheo.com/products/copy-protection but that was .net only. Something along the lines of that package but covering java as well is what we're looking for.

Thanks for any help!

1 answer to this question

Have you considered using a system that works on one system (like the .net one you linked) and using a wrapper on the other system? I'm not sure how viable this approach would be.