Going from tethered to untethered jailbreak?

Hi all,

Just a quick question: I'm looking to jailbreak my iPhone 4 that's running iOS 5.1 with the new redsn0w version released earlier in the week (tethered). Once redsn0w is updated to an untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.1, will I need to restore and re-jailbreak, or can I just re-run redsn0w over the existing jailbreak?

Thanks!

I think your title is backwards.

But it depends on the actual jailbreak method. It's too early to say 100%, but it will likely be a software update through cydia like it was last time or you simply rerun redsn0w when it's untethered and it should be fine.

I'm not updating to 5.1 until there is a firm un-tethered. 5.0.1 works perfectly fine.

I'm currently on 5.0.1 un-tethered and I see no reason to update and take a backward step to being tethered again. :shiftyninja:

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I've gone ahead and jailbroken. Hopefully an untethered version isn't too far off from now.

Is there really an upside to not jail breaking? I have been thinking of doing my iPhone4, but I'm worried it will mess up something and in the event I need to return the device, I won't be able to.

Is there really an upside to not jail breaking? I have been thinking of doing my iPhone4, but I'm worried it will mess up something and in the event I need to return the device, I won't be able to.

Just read tutorials and be careful. It usually is a pretty easy process and it is almost impossible to brick your iPhone doing this. Like artnada said, if you ever need to return it, just reset/restore it and they will never be able to tell.

I've never seen or heard of something jailbreaking their iPhone. I've been jailbreaking many of them since 2009. If anything happens, just restore. You don't need tutorials, download redsn0w and hit jailbreak, done. Unless you want to save your baseband and what not.