Why some of us don't "embrace change" when it's not due.

Change is due, and it's a good thing MS is dragging everyone kicking and screaming into the light. And guess what? Apple is doing it too. As is Gnome.

The thing is that while Gnome3 has changed to a more touch friendly interface, and even though they are known for locking pretty much all customization away, they have at least provided a freaking easy way to adapt your Gnome3 desktop to whatever the hell benefits your workflow, using extensions.

You can disable to overlay, bring apps menu back, add panels, taskbars... whatever the hell you want, and most of that with little more than a bit of CSS.

Had Microsoft allowed anything like that you wouldn't see people complaining at all.

Then again, while Gnome's only objective is developing a desktop environment, Microsoft needs to entice developers into feeding their new desktop/tablet/phone ecosystem, so they'll only let you go out of Metro the strictly necessary to keep backwards compatibility.

It's silly to assume that you won't be able to make customisations to Windows 8 given that even developer unlocked Windows Phones can get the customisations. While Gnome provides support for extensions officially, it's really not practically any different from getting it through hacks.

To my knowledge, there hasn't been any news about Windows 8's release date since the iPad 3 was announced. Microsoft is following the same 3-year development cycle they established with Windows 7.

I am just saying that whole Windows 8 release is around Tablets and Phones. MS wants to be competitive there. I don't see them gaining any significant market share. When you go to store and if you ask for Windows Phone there will be like you don't want to get that. People are generally fedup with Windows and there is no way in hell they are going to switch from iPad or Android Tablet to Windows. I am just talking truth. I really appreciate Microsoft attempt in Mobile Market. Metro is ok interface, needs some tweaks but it works but that's about it. They should stop right there. Windows 7 is really working well for Microsoft and they should maintain that, its UI.

While Gnome provides support for extensions officially, it's really not practically any different from getting it through hacks.

Of course it's different, just try to get hacks approved in a corporate environment.

Of course it's different, just try to get hacks approved in a corporate environment.

Try installing extensions in a corporate environment. You'll get what the IT department has approved, and nothing more.

I am just saying that whole Windows 8 release is around Tablets and Phones. MS wants to be competitive there. I don't see them gaining any significant market share. When you go to store and if you ask for Windows Phone there will be like you don't want to get that. People are generally fedup with Windows and there is no way in hell they are going to switch from iPad or Android Tablet to Windows. I am just talking truth. I really appreciate Microsoft attempt in Mobile Market. Metro is ok interface, needs some tweaks but it works but that's about it. They should stop right there. Windows 7 is really working well for Microsoft and they should maintain that, its UI.

I see an equally number of people fed up with iPads, iPhones, Droids, etc as I do with Windows.

Just saying.

Try installing extensions in a corporate environment. You'll get what the IT department has approved, and nothing more.

Sure, but if the extensions are deemed necesary they are not only supported but also plain open JS and CSS stuff than can be reviewed easily.

I'm not talking about corporate users installing whatever they want on their desktops anyway, but about the IT dept configuring all user desktops to avoid retraining and productivity drops.

As far as avoiding retraining, now the IT department can deploy Windows on the workstation and Windows Phone for the company supplied mobile instead of having to train for both separately.

I see an equally number of people fed up with iPads, iPhones, Droids, etc as I do with Windows.

Just saying.

I disagree. iPad and iPhone users love em. Droid its hard to say because droid has a lot of people who could care less and just want a smart phone that can facebook as cheap as possible.

As far as avoiding retraining, now the IT department can deploy Windows on the workstation and Windows Phone for the company supplied mobile instead of having to train for both separately.

Windows phone hasn't been a training issue for us. Windows 8 will cause training issues for years. Especially if it fails and changes, and it will be a nightmare if apps go Metro (full screen only able to manage 2 open windows easily). Microsoft is making a mess here man.

I don't think MS has ever said the Desktop is going away.

They are aware that certain people need more then 2 apps side by side at the same time, that's why we have the desktop.

So for power users not that much changes, they will be using the desktop most of the time.

For the other 90%, Metro will be the place where they spend most of their time.

These people will have a little learning curve, but once they are used to it, moving to a tablet or phone will be really easy.

Plus they will be able to use the same app on all of these devices, how's that for consistency?

I do admit that for power users at the moment it feels like you live in 2 different OS's but I don't really mind the switch between Metro and the Desktop.

As an experiment, I opened up 4 programs on the desktop, resized the windows so that I had two top and two bottom, then snapped a Metro app next to it. Voila... 5 open WIndows. And, just for fun hit win+z to pop up All Apps, hit enter, then used the End Key to jump to the end of the apps list to look at what something was named, then hit esc to jump back to here and finish typing this.

Seems multitasking works just fine. ;)

I'm sure someone will provide a hack to boot to the desktop and possibly autohide the taskbar, and shut off hot spots. If I can get that, I can live with it.

Using the start page as an idle page/screen saver type of deal would work for me.

I'm sure someone will provide a hack to boot to the desktop and possibly autohide the taskbar, and shut off hot spots. If I can get that, I can live with it.

Using the start page as an idle page/screen saver type of deal would work for me.

Hack? there is already an officially supported gp setting that boots to desktop. what's the problem with hot spots?

Hack? there is already an officially supported gp setting that boots to desktop. what's the problem with hot spots?

I'm not going to say in and of themselves they are a problem, I prefer not to have them. I will inevitably activate them unintentionally whic his why they are design to activate when you then move over the bar. I'd rather skip it altogether and just use the windows key. All will be good if Auto-hide returns to the taskbar.

I'm not going to say in and of themselves they are a problem, I prefer not to have them. I will inevitably activate them unintentionally whic his why they are design to activate when you then move over the bar. I'd rather skip it altogether and just use the windows key. All will be good if Auto-hide returns to the taskbar.

Morgan, you can still auto-hide the taskbar. Unless, you're talking about something different.

Morgan, you can still auto-hide the taskbar. Unless, you're talking about something different.

That will be great, but I cannot. It might just be my install. If you are able to, I'll reinstall later on and see if that takes care of it. That with the GPO (you can set it on your local policy if its there) will be fantastic. Windows 8 is great, UI asides. Being able to push those aside will be excellent.

Having to see the full screen metro search screen will be irritating, but it's not the end of the world. If I can put metro away with a GPO and autohide my taskbar, life will be acceptable. That is until developers start creating full-screen metro apps that we need to use :(. But I promise we won't have to worry about it until 8SP1.

If this works in this preview build, can you share the path to the setting? I cannot find it.