I installed the GUI version on a VMWare vm. So far, I guess i don't really like it. I do think the new Server Manager Dashboard interface layout is much less straight-forward. And the whole inclusion of the start screen on a server OS is just plain ridiculous. :facepalm:
I have Windows Server 8 installed on physical hardware;
- like the PC version the removal of the start "all programs" in favour of Metro is ridiculous.
- Metro should be no where near a server.
- Remote Desktop Services now works with Firefox and Chrome (and I suspect Safari); but its still Windows based (ie Linux PC refuses to launch the app)
- Server Manager is trying to be all things to all men; the ability to install features onto a group of servers is cool however your stuck in nested windows under Server Manager; bring back the ability to open each feature in separate management consoles.
- Hyper-V 3 definitely looks like it has evened the playing field against VMware and with smb 2.2 and replicas its probably nudging ahead.
- The look and feel of the Hyper-V console should look more like Virtual Machine Manager; its the same layout since 2008.
- Backup to the cloud looks interesting; however the "Patriot" Act and where your data is stored could cause most firms to skip it.
Its definitely a beta as I have noticed a few quirks; apart from the inclusion of Metro and Server Manager on steroids Windows 8 Server looks promising.