offical

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 htcz

htcz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 March 2012 - 23:07

Posted Image

A lot of talk about the Consumer Preview but none about the server. What are your thoughts?

System requirements

Processor:
1.4 Ghz 64bit

Memory:
512 MB

Disk space:
32GB

Drive:
DVD-ROM drive

Display and peripherals
Super VGA (800 x 600)
Keyboard
Mouse

Download:

http://technet.micro...id=TEC_108_1_33

#2 BeerFan

BeerFan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:05

I installed the GUI version on a VMWare vm. So far, I guess i don't really like it. I do think the new Server Manager Dashboard interface layout is much less straight-forward. And the whole inclusion of the start screen on a server OS is just plain ridiculous. :facepalm:

#3 OP htcz

htcz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 March 2012 - 15:38

WOW.....Only one person?

I would have installed it on my PC too but Im running the 32bit version of Windows so I cant.

#4 rhianntp

rhianntp

Neowinian

Posted 11 March 2012 - 15:58

It's even more ridiculous than the consumer version considering its target audience

#5 culmor

culmor

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 11 March 2012 - 16:23

I have Windows Server 8 installed on physical hardware;

- like the PC version the removal of the start "all programs" in favour of Metro is ridiculous.
- Metro should be no where near a server.
- Remote Desktop Services now works with Firefox and Chrome (and I suspect Safari); but its still Windows based (ie Linux PC refuses to launch the app)
- Server Manager is trying to be all things to all men; the ability to install features onto a group of servers is cool however your stuck in nested windows under Server Manager; bring back the ability to open each feature in separate management consoles.
- Hyper-V 3 definitely looks like it has evened the playing field against VMware and with smb 2.2 and replicas its probably nudging ahead.
- The look and feel of the Hyper-V console should look more like Virtual Machine Manager; its the same layout since 2008.
- Backup to the cloud looks interesting; however the "Patriot" Act and where your data is stored could cause most firms to skip it.

Its definitely a beta as I have noticed a few quirks; apart from the inclusion of Metro and Server Manager on steroids Windows 8 Server looks promising.

that's my 2 cents!

#6 BeerFan

BeerFan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:24

Just for effect:

- Metro should be no where near a server.

#7 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64Ce Pro w/Media nter Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 850 Pro 256GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 970
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:26

Built-in DeDuplication. Nuff said ... order licenses! :woot: