Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

offical Windows Server "8" Beta Discussion

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I installed the GUI version on a VMWare vm. So far, I guess i don't really like it. I do think the new Server Manager Dashboard interface layout is much less straight-forward. And the whole inclusion of the start screen on a server OS is just plain ridiculous. :facepalm:

Posted

WOW.....Only one person?

I would have installed it on my PC too but Im running the 32bit version of Windows so I cant.

Posted

It's even more ridiculous than the consumer version considering its target audience

Posted

I have Windows Server 8 installed on physical hardware;

- like the PC version the removal of the start "all programs" in favour of Metro is ridiculous.

- Metro should be no where near a server.

- Remote Desktop Services now works with Firefox and Chrome (and I suspect Safari); but its still Windows based (ie Linux PC refuses to launch the app)

- Server Manager is trying to be all things to all men; the ability to install features onto a group of servers is cool however your stuck in nested windows under Server Manager; bring back the ability to open each feature in separate management consoles.

- Hyper-V 3 definitely looks like it has evened the playing field against VMware and with smb 2.2 and replicas its probably nudging ahead.

- The look and feel of the Hyper-V console should look more like Virtual Machine Manager; its the same layout since 2008.

- Backup to the cloud looks interesting; however the "Patriot" Act and where your data is stored could cause most firms to skip it.

Its definitely a beta as I have noticed a few quirks; apart from the inclusion of Metro and Server Manager on steroids Windows 8 Server looks promising.

that's my 2 cents!

Posted

Just for effect:

- Metro should be no where near a server.

1 person likes this

Posted

Built-in DeDuplication. Nuff said ... order licenses! :woot: