anyone notice sound quality better in windows 8?

i notice sound quality when playing audio files a lot better than windows 7

is it just me or its actually better

i notice sound quality when playing audio files a lot better than windows 7

is it just me or its actually better

Placebo.

Placebo.

nope its actually better

i tried same mp3 files on both and its actually better at least for me :)

nope its actually better

i tried same mp3 files on both and its actually better at least for me :)

Check the sample rate and bit depth on Windows 7 and 8.

Win 7: Control Panel -> Sound -> right click on speakers (or w/e your default playback device is) and select the advanced tab.

Win 8: No idea

Check the sample rate and bit depth on Windows 7 and 8.

Win 7: Control Panel -> Sound -> right click on speakers (or w/e your default playback device is) and select the advanced tab.

Win 8: No idea

it is the same provided you access the classic "control panel"

charm > settings > Control panel > Sound......etc

This is interesting.

I tested windows 8 on a 5-year old PC so it had poor sound quality as compared to my 1-year old laptop on Windows 7, so I can't tell if Windows 8 has better sound.

I mean, that PC is crap. Being able to run Windows 8 on crap hardware is an achievement itself.

It seems about the same to me although I will have to wait a bit to figure out how to install some custom realtek drivers I use on Win 7 before making a true judgement. The built in drivers for high def audio devices might be better.

It seems about the same to me although I will have to wait a bit to figure out how to install some custom realtek drivers I use on Win 7 before making a true judgement. The built in drivers for high def audio devices might be better.

That could explain it, sometimes MS does better drivers than the HW manufacturer, whenever possible I actually avoided installing drivers if I could.

ok so it seems like i have installed a newer version of Realtek HD audio driver on CP

when i download and installed the same version of realtek HD audio driver on win 7 i got the same audio quality

Both my audio devices can now do 32bit sound up to 19200Hz? :s

Is that really new thought?

Well it wasn't present in Windows 7 it'd seem, so... yes?

Ah yes. W7 only has 24 bit 19200hz

Both my audio devices can now do 32bit sound up to 19200Hz? :s

what sound card/chip you have

i sure don't have such option :s

*head explode*

I can't say since my Xonar doesnt work correctly. Going back to Windows 7 I have to say I missed awsome sound :D

Really? I installed mine fine when I switched the compatibility mode to Windows 7 for the setup. For my Xonar Essence STX card. Or, you could have the install driver wizard point to the folder where you have the drivers and they install from there fine. You just don't have the Audio center to switch between speakers and headphones. That's why I tried the Compatibility mode for the Setup and it worked perfect.

Definately placebo, upgrading to windows 8 won't magically change your sound card's DAC or S->N ratio or improve your headphones/audio outputs frequency range.

Placebo.

with so many hardware differences as well as driver differences, some people are just silly to say "placebo" to anything. Maybe its fun for them to say it, i don't know. But there defiantly can be a difference in sound quality and OS's.

• 1 year later...

Yes, I notice audio quality from win 8 is better than win 7. The sound much open and clear. My PC setup is as follow:

Intel i5 -> USB 3 card plug in PCI slot -> Supra USB 2 cable -> HRT media streamer II -> Chord Crimson -> Amplifier

Really? I installed mine fine when I switched the compatibility mode to Windows 7 for the setup. For my Xonar Essence STX card. Or, you could have the install driver wizard point to the folder where you have the drivers and they install from there fine. You just don't have the Audio center to switch between speakers and headphones. That's why I tried the Compatibility mode for the Setup and it worked perfect.

Why don't you just use Daniel K.'s drivers? http://danielkawakami.blogspot.com/

Back on topic, no I haven't noticed a difference.

Why don't you just use Daniel K.'s drivers? http://danielkawakami.blogspot.com/

Back on topic, no I haven't noticed a difference.

Well, ASUS finally came up with updated drivers for their cards in Windows 8, and did a real nice update of the audio utility app that comes with it.