'Pink slime' is good for America's schoolchildren

I always thought the burgers were soy burgers anyway they were little bricks on a bun.

Some people really need to visit a third world country and see what the natives eat.

This so-called "pink slime" meat would be a godsend to them...

Whats the big deal with ammonia when its being used on the garbage sinew and tendons and fat that are ground together from the unusable animal meat waste. Its chemicals on top of garbage parts.

>

More ignorance of Biology 101 :p

As noted previously, everything biological has ammonia in it including you. In fact, your body makes far more than is in this product. It's a necessary precursor to nitrogen compounds you need to live.

Example of foods with significant natural ammonia content would be beans, broccoli, soy sprouts. bamboo shoots, green peas etc. etc. etc. Many of these have as much as 175 mg of ammonia per 290 gram serving (broccoli.)

Then there is that its main use is to kill microbes like E. coli, thus preventing food poisoning.

Number 1 sales pitch in the world: Fear sells! (ask any religious folk lol)

ironic that the people that are worried about the pink slime consume (or take part in) tons more bad activities like smoking, coffee, caffeine, work around dangerous exhast, paint, etc etc etc that end up being way worse.

So you would like to add to the list of bad things by doing this?

Guess the Chicken Littles need to have something to duck :p

Wonder how many know that even higher levels of ammonia are used in fermentation, including beer making? Oh well....

I don't have a problem with ammonia per se.

I have a problem with the reason they have to use it. They have to do it because they fail to clean their equipment properly and handle the by-product before it starts to rot. And often times a premium product manufacturer would sell their left-overs to another company (nothing gets wasted) thus complicating and endangering the whole process due to additional handling.

It looks gross and the people seem to be deceived by dishonest corporations. You can bet their top managers and the people in-the-know do not consume their own products.

Processed foods can also contain extra sodium, trans-fat, artificial flavours, colour agents, stabilizers and preservatives and this should be the major reason to avoid this crap altogether.

" 3) meets the budget parameters that allow the school lunch program to feed kids nationwide every day."

So, in other words, they can't afford to feed them quality beef so they would rather give them cancer. Govt officials in this country are so f'n stupid it boggles my mind.

What ever happened to the 'good old fashioned' idea of sending children to school with a packed lunch involving a sandwich, a piece of fruit and maybe a drink bottle of orange juice? am I out of touch with this generation of parents and their inability to do their job as parents - namely to provide a nutritious and health lunch?

What ever happened to the 'good old fashioned' idea of sending children to school with a packed lunch involving a sandwich, a piece of fruit and maybe a drink bottle of orange juice?....

Your answer is in a thread from last month where a kid was sent in with a bagged lunch consisting of a turkey sandwivh, juice, fruit etc. only to have the schools Food Police declare it nutritionally insufficient. They replaced it with a cafeteria lunch: chicken nuggets.