Tide detergent theft

Law enforcement officials across the country are puzzled over a crime wave targeting an unlikely item: Tide laundry detergent.

Theft of Tide detergent has become so rampant that authorities from New York to Oregon are keeping tabs on the soap spree, and some cities are setting up special task forces to stop it. And retailers like CVS are taking special security precautions to lock down the liquid.

One Tide taker in West St. Paul, Minn., made off with $25,000 in the product over 15 months before he was busted last year.

?That was unique that he stole so much soap,? said West St. Paul Police Chief Bud Shaver. ?The name brand is [all] Tide. Amazing, huh??

Tide has become a form of currency on the streets. The retail price is steadily high ? roughly $10 to $20 a bottle ? and it?s a staple in households across socioeconomic classes.

Tide can go for $5 to $10 a bottle on the black market, authorities say. Enterprising laundry soap peddlers even resell bottles to stores.

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2012/03/12/031212-news-tide-theft-1-4/

Psst! Hey man, you wanna buy a bottle of tide? No, I mean the soap, it's not a new drug man!

why would you buy your soup on the black market, I only buy a bottle of soup approx once a year (a bottle does 96 loads, there was 52 weeks in a year, I do laundry on Wednesdays and Sundays)

why would you buy your soup on the black market, I only buy a bottle of soup approx once a year (a bottle does 96 loads, there was 52 weeks in a year, I do laundry on Wednesdays and Sundays)

I buy soup to eat.

well not everyone lives solo and does the exact # of loads per week. What about towels, blankets, sheets - unexpected spills, etc?. I think we go through tide much faster then normal (3 of us) but that stuff does get expensive - I am sure if offered a bottle for $10 on the street I would scoop it up.