Crytek announcing new AAA title next month

Crysis developer said to have new "big budget" game in development for consoles and PC.

Crytek already has a full slate, what with work ongoing on the Kinect-enabled title Ryse for Microsoft, THQ's Homefront 2, and its first iOS title, Fibble - Flick 'n' Roll. However, the German game company has one more product in the pipeline as well, and it's one that it expects to begin talking about next month.

Speaking to CVG, Crytek general manager Nick Button-Brown confirmed that the studio plans to announce a new "big budget" game for consoles and PCs in April.

"You know about Homefront, you know about Ryse," Button-Brown said. "We are working on another project? [laughs] all three of which are looking really good?The other project looks absolutely fantastic--I mean, genuinely the best of that kind of project we've ever done."

The obvious assumption would be that the new project will be a new installment in the Crysis first-person shooter franchise. Following on from 2007's highly regarded original, Crysis 2 scored a solid critical reception upon its release in 2011.

However, the studio has also been rumored to be reviving the TimeSplitters franchise. Crytek picked up franchise creator Free Radical in 2009, after that studio went bankrupt following the unsuccessful release of Haze. Though Free Radical officially announced TimeSplitters 4 in 2007, the franchise has lain dormant since 2005's well-regarded TimeSplitters: Future Perfect.

GameSpot

I don't get what was so great about Crysis other than the "ooo shiny" effect of the graphics.

To me, it's the Doom 3 of the current era.

Boring and derivative.

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if it's another Crysis game. I think this would be a great opportunity for Crytek to do something other than Far Cry or Crysis. Another TimeSplitters game would be great.

I don't get what was so great about Crysis other than the "ooo shiny" effect of the graphics.

Boring and derivative.

Derivative of what?

Oh please let it be TimeSplitter's 4, I've been waiting for this for far too long.

Boring and derivative.

Sorry but you are wrong. Completely.

Crysis series is known for its new and fresh ideas. Its not derivative of anything.

And about that shiny graphics, if it hadn't had that engine, we'd be stuck here with GTX 295 and 4870x2 HD.

They said they'd do a trilogy for Crysis as a story, so i'm expecting Crysis 3 really...

The article says new triple AAA title. The Crysis series is hardly new is it now? :p

This isn't the Warface game is it? ...

No. Warface was revealed in November 2010. It's either Crysis 3 or a new series like TimeSplitters. It's too early for another Crysis game so it's most likely going to be a new series.

Sorry but you are wrong. Completely.

Crysis series is known for its new and fresh ideas. Its not derivative of anything.

And about that shiny graphics, if it hadn't had that engine, we'd be stuck here with GTX 295 and 4870x2 HD.

what new and fresh ideas? i mean, i played both Crysis 1 and 2, but theyre just another fps. go from point A to B, complete whatever objective and repeat.

now, from the graphics standpoint, theyre both amazing. i love computer graphics and will always support Crytek for pushing the envelope.

No. Warface was revealed in November 2010. It's either Crysis 3 or a new series like TimeSplitters. It's too early for another Crysis game so it's most likely going to be a new series.

Thank ya sir! REALLY hoping it is a TimeSplitters game.

Since I don't care much about MP for FPS or other games in general if whatever the game is has a good SP story and so on then I'm happy with it. Besides FPS in general have more or less been doing the same thing for years now IMO.

Well we already knew Crysis 3 was coming, so it's kind of strange to hold an announcement that they're developing a game already announced.

what new and fresh ideas? i mean, i played both Crysis 1 and 2, but theyre just another fps. go from point A to B, complete whatever objective and repeat.

now, from the graphics standpoint, theyre both amazing. i love computer graphics and will always support Crytek for pushing the envelope.

To be fair, isn't every game simply "go from point A to B, complete whatever objective and repeat"? Even open world games still require you to travel to places and complete objectives.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the nanosuit, where you could be stealthy or rambo it, and the game didn't restrict you to either. There are other games like that, but they don't offer the same fluidness that Crysis offers (Like in TES/Fallout, you can be sneaky or the son of rambo, but you have to put points into that)

• Like 1

oh, good, another multiplatform game, that means another pc port. just what the pc gaming community needs.

I think Crytek learned from the mistakes they made with Crysis 2. I'm sure we'll see high-res textures and DX11 support on launch. The recent improvements that were made to CryENGINE 3 were, largely, PC-specific. You can take a look at them