IDC: Android tablets will overtake iPad by 2015

That ain't the point.

We, no one, can ignore the importance of Windows 8, and yet, the graph simply ignores it. Completely. Which is rediculous

Its not ignored. Win8 has not even been released yet so there is no way to predict how well it will do.

That... or because there is no sales data for Windows 8, no prediction can be made.

It will still Exist.. and there is no sales data for Windows 8, so no prediction can be made. Others probably represents WebOS (which I know is going to be gone), QNX, Windows 7, and other proprietary OS's.

So these predictions are kinda pointless really, arent they?

In a constantly changing market, new products will enter the scene all the time. When windows 8 has been out for some time that will more than likely take a sizeable chunk of the market. Windows is a brand that people know and trust, so lots will buy it.

I'd really like to see if Android even exists on tablets by 2015, I'm sure it will be king of phones though.

If "others" is supposed to represent Windows 8 this prediction is laughable at best.

Of course it will exist. They are already close to 50% of market.

I say that it won't even take until 2015. It's going to happen by end of this year or very early next year.

It's interesting how some people are in denial. With so many people using Android phones and growing at insane rate, why in the hell would they choose a tablet running anything else but Android.

Google is innovating and improving Android by leaps and bounds. Android is by far the best mobile OS currently on the market. To the point of Apple copying the crap out of it.

With cheap $99 running old android I believe it. I bet by 2015 they will be $25-$50 if not Google giving them

away for your sole or just make you sign up for G+ 0.o

Fat

F

A more interesting question would be when will an individual tablet overtake the iPad.

Never, but then again if Apple let other companies install the OS on their own brand of tablets then I doubt that the iPad would be the king of the tablets either given their inflated prices. You can't really compare the product itself, more the operating system it uses.

While I am sure Windows 8 will take a huge chunk of marketshare by that time, we simply can't rule Android out of the equation. And as you said, as people get used to Windows 8 on desktop, it is inevitable that they'll prefer the tablet of the same interface.

The thing is that ordinary people do know about Android, but don't know about its cons and limitations. Thats the problem. They see it as a shiny and successful platform, but don't bother to go into the details of it.

Thats why Android will always be there. It will lose the marketshare once Windows 8 is out, but it will still hold its own ground

I don't see Windows 8 even coming close to Android and iOS Share. I just don't, I do think Windows 8 is a tablet-centric OS.. but there are already great OS's that have been improved upon for years and years for the Tablet Market. Windows 8 is more of an entry level Tablet OS, I think that people will use it out of curiosity, and possibly for a short period.

All I was saying was that you can't rule out the importance of Windows 8. I am not saying that within one night its market share will cling to 50-60%. It won't, but you can't also rule it out in the long run, like the analyst has.

Google is innovating and improving Android by leaps and bounds. Android is by far the best mobile OS currently on the market. To the point of Apple copying the crap out of it.

It's interesting how some people are in denial.

I LOL'd. The denial part really should have came last just to be the icing on the crazy cake.

It's interesting how people think Google is "innovating" and other people are "copying" them. Then again, expect any nonsensical FUD from a Google preacher.

• Like 2

Of course it will exist. They are already close to 50% of market. Android is by far the best mobile OS currently on the market. To the point of Apple copying the crap out of it.

typical boz style. Close to 50% true, but mostly due to the extreme price difference in entry level phones at $50 (some less). Every kid on the block can buy one. As for the best? As stated by many many people on many many occasions it boils down to preference. I even have both, ios5 and android 2.3.3 and comparing the two, the android is a good beginner phone if you don't know how good IOS is. For example: if someone buying a new phone goes Android, they will be happy if that's all they are used to and never tried IOS. But once you have IOS there is no going back to android. Its just a slower, clunky OS. Feel like all its software is like a Linux build with pieces of software just joined together but not DESIGNED together. The smooth flow of ios is what makes it much more appealing to most people.

typical boz style. Close to 50% true, but mostly due to the extreme price difference in entry level phones at $50 (some less). Every kid on the block can buy one. As for the best? As stated by many many people on many many occasions it boils down to preference. I even have both, ios5 and android 2.3.3 and comparing the two, the android is a good beginner phone if you don't know how good IOS is. For example: if someone buying a new phone goes Android, they will be happy if that's all they are used to and never tried IOS. But once you have IOS there is no going back to android. Its just a slower, clunky OS. Feel like all its software is like a Linux build with pieces of software just joined together but not DESIGNED together. The smooth flow of ios is what makes it much more appealing to most people.

Bunch of nonsense.. it's the OTHER way around.. I have used iOS since the very beginning. Once you start using Android to it's potential, you don't EVER wanna go back to dumbed down, locked down OS like iOS. Most people see it and that's why majority of my friends had iPhones and now switched to Android and have no intention of switching back to iPhone and this is happening more and more everywhere which numbers actually show. iPhone is getting clobbered in Europe because most people in Europe actually want functionality and open systems.

ICS destroyed the last whining issues iOS users had against Android. There is absolutely no doubt that Android is years ahead of iOS.. Years!

I'm just glad that Google is patenting every single thing they are innovating on these days so Apple copycat can't steal it and then claim they invented it.

And btw, Android phones are $50? What world do you live in? It's exactly the same for the most part. Almost everyone I see has an Android phone that is $500+. Android is offering lower cost and higher cost alternative. Apple is offering only 1 choice and it's the higher cost one. What is your complain about then?

The reality is, which Samsung showed, is that people are buying far more $500-$600 smartphone on Android than iPhones (Samsung overtook their sales number and that was just 1 Android manufacturer). Yes, there are cheaper Android phones in offering.. that's the result of healthy competition and consumers have a choice to pick from.

I mean it's beyond a doubt, the stupidest thing, to repay and rebuy the same freakin' phone like iPhone over and over again with marginal improvements. It's really a mark of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result or in this case a phone.

Are they counting only devices produced by brand names like amazon, samsung...? How about the thousands of generic android pads produced and sold by chinese factories without any name on it?

Anyway, i dont expect apple to be number one in any of their products, its one company, one device, one price. Eventually microsoft and google will put them back to its place. Apple isn't cheap, and for the average person, price does matter.

Yes, for average person, price does matter, but he also has to take account of the lasting appeal and durability of the product he is investing his money into. This is why Android won't get close to iPad.

Windows 8 will, but it'll take some time

Once you start using Android to it's potential, you don't EVER wanna go back to dumbed down, locked down OS like iOS. Most people see it and that's why majority of my friends had iPhones and now switched to Android and have no intention of switching back to iPhone and this is happening more and more everywhere which numbers actually show.

There is absolutely no doubt that Android is years ahead of iOS.. Years!

I'm just glad that Google is patenting every single thing they are innovating on these days so Apple copycat can't steal it and then claim they invented it.

And btw, Android phones are $50? What world do you live in?

I mean it's beyond a doubt, the stupidest thing, to repay and rebuy the same freakin' phone like iPhone over and over again with marginal improvements.

How many people do you think care about Android FULL potential? Most people just want it to work. No rooting, coding, hacking, modifying, just work. A typical PC could have extreme potential too, you could over clock it to hell, add liquid cooling, put a SSD drive in etc etc but the mass majority of people don't need to have such possible high performence, they just want it to do what it does out-of-the-box and to add with extreme simplicity. Less-is-more kind of idea. Boz, do you use linux? or windows? If you have windows, why?

Years ahead is subject to many different factors. I believe you are correct in the some areas of andriod but wrong in other areas, its a pretty complex code with some new and some old.

Its not only the phones that are cheaper but also the cheap tablets that can be bought for less then $200 and typically even $100

When you say its stupid to buy and repay over and over and over for marginal upgrades, isn't that's basically how it works with anything? the only big change in phones happened when the first iphone came out, since then its basically small upgrades by all makers.

Android is years behind everyone else I don't see it going anywhere. The Ipad 3 is going kill every android tablet out there. Having used several different android tablets I can tell you that it is steaming pile of ****.

Once you start using Android to it's potential, you don't EVER wanna go back to dumbed down, locked down OS like iOS. Most people see it and that's why majority of my friends had iPhones and now switched to Android and have no intention of switching back to iPhone and this is happening more and more everywhere which numbers actually show.

Oh that's funny, because if you talk to others, they'd be happy to jump to, or have jumped to, Windows Phones, which is also somewhat locked down as iOS. But they love their choice.

ICS destroyed the last whining issues iOS users had against Android. There is absolutely no doubt that Android is years ahead of iOS.. Years!

Would like to know what metric you define for 'years'.

Slanted view of patents I see. Why should one party be above the other in patent use and abuse?

And btw, Android phones are $50? What world do you live in? It's exactly the same for the most part.

Almost everyone I see has an Android phone that is $500+. Android is offering lower cost and higher cost alternative. Apple is offering only 1 choice and it's the higher cost one. What is your complain about then?

Suppose you don't realize that some places, like up here, are big on subsidized phones. When I was looking at a new phone back in November, I did run across a $0 Android phone, after a nice contract of course.

However, I do contend that the original prices are roughly $500+, at least looking briefly at the choices here. Most of the higher-end Android phones, and the iPhone, are subsidized around $400-500 off their initial cost.

I mean it's beyond a doubt, the stupidest thing, to repay and rebuy the same freakin' phone like iPhone over and over again with marginal improvements. It's really a mark of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result or in this case a phone.

And it's not insane for consumers to do roughly the same thing on the dozens of Android phones with incremental upgrades every half a year? Also, I would argue that consumers would be more likely to go on a more frequent upgrade cycle for Android phones, given how short of a support lifecycle the manufacturers put on their devices.

• Like 1

Bunch of nonsense.. it's the OTHER way around.. I have used iOS since the very beginning. Once you start using Android to it's potential, you don't EVER wanna go back to dumbed down, locked down OS like iOS.

that's really true in my case... now i ll never go to iOS

Yes, for average person, price does matter, but he also has to take account of the lasting appeal and durability of the product he is investing his money into. This is why Android won't get close to iPad.

Windows 8 will, but it'll take some time

windows 8 will have durable product/device!!!!! Its not even released for Christ sake and you say it will be durable product..

how do u know?? oh... i get it.... fanboys make up ****...

that's really true in my case... now i ll never go to iOS

The opposite is true for me. I find a jailbroken ios device is superior to android. I finds on iOS apps miles ahead of android.

The opposite is true for me. I find a jailbroken ios device is superior to android. I finds on iOS apps miles ahead of android.

The opposite of that is true for me. I have a Jailbroken iPod Touch 4g running iOS5.01 Jailbroken. I also have an Atrix Running A Custom 2.3.6 ROM Rooted. I find Android Destroys iOS. iOS Feels like a toy, it feels like a childs play thing. I find Android to be far more robust and extensible. I 100% back Android as an un-biased user. I have a current iOS Device, a current(ish) Android Device, and a Playbook Running QNX.

I don't think Windows 8 will be as popular as everyone is seeming to think. I feel like Android will continue to live on as it is a Great Phone Device and from my use on the OS ICS Especially, is a great Tablet Device. iOS Just doesn't feel as powerful for me. QNX Is an amazing Tablet OS I feel QNX alone is > Windows 8 from the use I have of it.

personal preferences!!! I feel the same with Android!!! use whatever feels comfortable for you!

personal preferences!!! I feel the same with Android!!! use whatever feels comfortable for you!

Everybody I know including developers of android feel that android fragmented mess on Tablets. Most are not optimizing their apps for tablets on Android.