Photo

Installing Windows 7 on a 16GB SSD?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 April 2012 - 21:32

Don't bother. I got a 40GB SSD just for windows and programs and even that's too small.

#17 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 90
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 21:34

"My WinSXS is almost 7gb by itself,"

Lets not start this again.. I highly doubt it's 7GB, since its mostly hardlinks. This has been gone over many many times.

--
http://blogs.msdn.co...disk-space.aspx
In practice, nearly every file in the WinSxS directory is a “hard link” to the physical files elsewhere on the system—meaning that the files are not actually in this directory. For instance in the WinSxS there might be a file called advapi32.dll that takes up >700K however what’s being reported is a hard link to the actual file that lives in the Windows\System32, and it will be counted twice (or more) when simply looking at the individual directories from Windows Explorer.

While it’s true that WinSxS does consume some disk space by simply existing, and there are a number of metadata files, folders, manifests, and catalogs in it, it’s significantly smaller than reported. The actual amount of storage consumed varies, but on a typical system it is about 400MB. While that is not small, we think the robustness provided for servicing is a reasonable tradeoff.
--

Not sure where they got that 400MB number from, not sure its really that small -- but if you look into the past threads about it.. It going to be closer to that 400MB number than your 7GB number that is for sure ;)

#18 capr

capr

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:10

I dont' know about bypassing the requirement. but a little outside the box thinking may solve the problem. Try installing 7 on a VM that's at least 16GB. Then do a full system backup. Restore from that backup on your hard drive.

I remember reading guides on how to take a VM image of windows and put it on an actual drive and make it bootable.... this seems like a really round about way of doing things but might work.

another suggestion is to install windows on a different disk. clone it and dispatch to this disk. as long as they are in the same system, you shouldn't have any driver issues.

#19 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 90
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 21:31

Are you talking 32bit or 64? Min requirements for 32 is 16GB, for 64 its 20GB

http://windows.micro...em-requirements

I reread this thread twice, so you have not actually tried to install this? Or you have and your getting errors?

Simple google shows that people are running w7 on 16GB SSDs -- so I don't see what issue you should have?

#20 The Laughing Man

The Laughing Man

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 April 2012 - 21:41

I've had a laptop run Win7x64, on a 16SSD before with no issues. Just do what some folks here said, Slim up the install if you can and afterwards disable hibernation. Check out the "Windows Features" application (type windows features in the start menu) and check off any unwanted applications.

#21 Mando

Mando

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Note ICS

Posted 18 April 2012 - 21:43

ive got Win7 ultimate x64 plus anything that runs with W7 on a 60Gb ssd (inc swap file, AV etc) with 32Gbish free, wouldnt like to try and trim that down any further tbh (I got system restore off)