Why do people constantly complain about Metro when it IS easier to use?

Looks like i will be on Windows 7/XP for another 3-4 years.

What really makes me think is why Windows 8 would gain any market share with Metro which already failed on Windows 7 Phone? In Europe Windows 7 Phone has 2.5% of market share and after year since it has been released in the world of business that is epic failure.

What really makes me think is why Windows 8 would gain any market share with Metro which already failed on Windows 7 Phone? In Europe Windows 7 Phone has 2.5% of market share and after year since it has been released in the world of business that is epic failure.

says the guy who can't even get the name right. ;)

FYI: windows phone has more marketshare than Android in a similar timeframe.

says the guy who can't even get the name right. ;)

FYI: windows phone has more marketshare than Android in a similar timeframe.

Android didn't have a lot to compete however Windows Phone has. Unfortunately i am stuck with 2 years contract, i wanted to give a shot to Windows Phone but it doesn't work for me. Can't wait to get rid of it. Again i don't like Apple so my next option is back to Blackberry.

You had me until Windows 7 Phone failed. It's in its infancy and has a huge mountain to climb, not to mention it is superior technically and in usability to all other phone OS'. They need dual core just to keep up, which they cannnot do.

Just wondering. Metro is easier to use and understand than any previous Windows Interface.

It isn't, that's why.

SMH. From Microsoft's Windows Phone Insider Newsletter:

Does Windows 8 look familiar?

It should. Windows 8 was reimagined with an all-new touch interface using Live Tiles-just like Windows Phone. We pioneered the Metro design system for Windows Phone 7, and since then we've seen it appear on the Xbox Dashboard and in Windows 8, and we couldn't be more proud.

How's that for a big FU All, we're doing it for our own needs not becuase it's better. They'd better be glad there's no real competition. And that it rocks on Phones and most likely Tablets. Anyone hoping for a change of heart can forget about it, this is a done deal baby. Let the hackmeister's get to work, get rid of Metro on the desktop, LOL.

MorganX, these people aren't feeble minded, they're architects, bankers and lawyers. They just don't know how (or don't want to learn how) computers work. They're the kinds of people who are quite willing to spend a lot of money just for some more convenience. That's definitely the kind of market MS wants to cater to.

You, on the other hand, are unimportant to them.

Prepare to be disappointed by mountain lion. Lion was already a step back from snow leopard. You're really just better off hanging onto windows 7 for a few years if that's how you feel about 8. Wait and see what happens with 10.9 (if there even is a 10.9 and it isn't all iOS by then)

How exactly was it a step back?

Mission control compared to expose and spaces. Expose and spaces were highly customisable, so I could set them up just the way I wanted to, mission control worked only one way. It had some nice improvements, but even taking into account the trackpad improvements, it didn't make up for that lack.

I installed and used Metro for the first time tonight.

My first complaint is my keyboard. It is a Logitech G15 on a Gigabyte motherboard. When I moved my mouse to any of the corners my PC would freeze for 15 seconds. I figured out how to get to the desktop within a minute. Ctrl-alt-delete select task manager. I fixed the driver issue and now my mouse does not freeze up.

I have not read or really payed attention to any tips so this is all a new experience for me. The only thing I know is Windows Phone 7 and I here you guys mention to go to the corners. At first I thought maybe all four corners are different. Nope only the two sides. Then I thought to drag my mouse to the corner preview to click. Nope just click in corner. Took me two times to remember that. Then I did not know how to see the whole list when I placed the mouse in a corner. Oh just drag my mouse down the side of the screen. I kept having trouble when trying to switch from desktop to metro but I quickly realized how the corners work and that the desktop is in the metro apps.

Overall I probably spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to do tasks like set the resolution, wallpaper, check and update drivers, where shut down is and check out my existing file system. Then I explored metro more in depth. I set my Live picture, searched for settings and briefly explored, and checked out the default apps installed. The whole time I switched back and forth between the desktop and metro so that I could explain to my wife what I was doing and the differences.

I am a Microsoft fan but I do not let that get in my way. I am very open to trying out new technology and will easily switch to the competitor if it is better. So being a Microsoft fan does not cloud my vision. Overall I like Metro. I could fly around the screen and switch between desktop and Metro when I desired. Most importantly it only took me 10 minutes with driver problems.

My wife was bitching the whole time. Why? Where is the start menu. Oh Microsoft. You messed up big. I hate it. Where is the start menu. How do I close the app. Well, I can understand some of her pain. She tried Mac and hated it. She really does not like anything but Windows. Plus the concept of opening an app and forgetting about it is new for her. I told her to try it a little longer and then make a decision, but she grumbled at me and then walked away. I yelled out to her that if this was the first year of the automobile she would be the person riding a donkey for the next century.

The most important things I like are the fact you open apps and forget about them. You do not have to even go to the side of the screen to go back to the app. Who cares, just click on the app again. I do not worry about closing the app, saving data, or anything else. Second I like that everything will be integrated and flow well together. The fact that I will be able to see live data, access anything in the cloud without ever having to login or go to the native site will be nice.

Well, so far I like it. I tell you what though. Looking at the metro tiles on my 30" monitor really does not look appealing at all. I actually like what Metro is and the fact that it is simple and focuses on information more than the UI. No bubbles, chrome, orbs, globes etc. But metro sure could use a little more artistic touch. When Windows 8 comes out I will be putting it on my desktop and buying a tablet.

By the way. I do realize this is a long post and probably could have started a new thread but I did not want to get told that the horse has been beaten enough.

Metro might be easier if you only use one application at a time and doesn't care about the limited features. If you try to multitask there's nothing better with Metro than before. That being said, Metro isn't hard to use, but everything you're used to do is harder with the Metro interface. Not to speak of the stupid mixes of metro style at some places, but not at others (e.g. the network icon brings up an ugly metro pane on the right covering all other icons, whereas the volume icon doesn't).

Metro might be easier if you only use one application at a time and doesn't care about the limited features. If you try to multitask there's nothing better with Metro than before. That being said, Metro isn't hard to use, but everything you're used to do is harder with the Metro interface. Not to speak of the stupid mixes of metro style at some places, but not at others (e.g. the network icon brings up an ugly metro pane on the right covering all other icons, whereas the volume icon doesn't).

Wrong, for quickly multitasking it's better. It lets you get back to whatever it was you were doing before much faster than Windows 7. I'm someone who always used full screen apps, (I don't get people who play games windowed) so it's geared to my usage patterns. The thing is, Windows 8 design features were decided on based on usage metrics from people who agreed to send info about how they use their system to make Windows 8 better. So it's not that I'm in the minority in liking the changes, it's the complainers who are a very vocal minority. Full screen apps are what most people use. If anyone gets a large monitor it's not to use a really high resolution and have 4 windows open side by side, it's so they can have larger text. For using full screen apps and quickly switching between them, Windows 8 is better, and even offers better options for side by side app usage. Some habits are going to need to change - but I stopped using drag and drop a long time ago as selecting and copy and paste was a more reliable and less error prone method,

For the millionth time, people need to understand that the most common consumer will not buy a new computer and sit down to read a giant book on Metro in order to use it. The majority of consumers just recently upgraded from XP.

People are used to the start menu and taskbar. There are a lot of people I know that would not tolerate a giant tutorial or a required book in order to use Metro. Their response will simply be: "Can I have my old computer back?".

If anyone gets a large monitor it's not to use a really high resolution and have 4 windows open side by side, it's so they can have larger text.

Wait, what? Why would you think that?

For the millionth time, people need to understand that the most common consumer will not buy a new computer and sit down to read a giant book on Metro in order to use it. The majority of consumers just recently upgraded from XP.

People are used to the start menu and taskbar. There are a lot of people I know that would not tolerate a giant tutorial or a required book in order to use Metro. Their response will simply be: "Can I have my old computer back?".

So, also for the millionth time, why do you think the learning curve for Win8 is so high???

You need to know about 4 corners to get around, the rest will come later.

So, also for the millionth time, why do you think the learning curve for Win8 is so high???

You need to know about 4 corners to get around, the rest will come later.

Maybe because we have all of these hidden menus and "corners" to deal with now instead of the 17 year old start menu that everybody knows?

You have obviously never done tech support. It is sometimes hard enough to get users to click a start menu when they are on XP and it says "Start". Now we have to help them with "hidden menus" and special corners? If you are on the phone and tell them to go to the bottom left for the start menu, and they are still not seeing it, what then? If they are just a couple pixels off from the "corner" then they will not see it.

Maybe because we have all of these hidden menus and "corners" to deal with now instead of the 17 year old start menu that everybody knows?

You have obviously never done tech support. It is sometimes hard enough to get users to click a start menu when they are on XP and it says "Start". Now we have to help them with "hidden menus" and special corners? If you are on the phone and tell them to go to the bottom left for the start menu, and they are still not seeing it, what then? If they are just a couple pixels off from the "corner" then they will not see it.

"corners" doesn't required a "giant" book to learn. If they can't realize the Start Button, then it makes no difference anyway.

If anyone gets a large monitor it's not to use a really high resolution and have 4 windows open side by side, it's so they can have larger text.

Actually I use my large monitor for the opposite that you mention. I never read something across the entire monitor. Do you know how hard it is to read a line of text that spans from side to side. It is easier to read text in a narrower column. I have multiple apps open and split on the screen all of the time. I use the entire screen for games, video, pictures and off and on when developing. Full screen is also great for video, audio, and photo editing apps.

Some people are left handed, some are right handed. Some people like blondes, some people like brunettes. Most people like the Start menu. Me too.

Hahah good one. I am actually both handed, like both blondes and brunettes but hate Metro with Passion ;)

Wait, what? Why would you think that?

Because I work with a lot of people who have poor eyesight, and if they increase the text size on a small monitor, they lose access to some UI elements.

MorganX, these people aren't feeble minded, they're architects, bankers and lawyers. They just don't know how (or don't want to learn how) computers work. They're the kinds of people who are quite willing to spend a lot of money just for some more convenience. That's definitely the kind of market MS wants to cater to.

You, on the other hand, are unimportant to them.

As I said, computer illiterate. Computer illiteracy is throughout the socioeconomic spectrum and it's the same regardless of income or occupation. That is who Microsoft is catering to. There are far more affluent professionals who are NOT computer illiterate. The majority of Executive Management, who I do care about, are also computer illiterate and are also who Microsoft want to cater to. They are demanding iPads and iPhones. Along with all the poor people demanding iPads, iPhones, and Androids. The common denominator being their computer illiteracy and unwillingness or lack of need to do anything more. Microsoft's goal isn't to make them feel more "convenient" on the desktop, it is to bolster their Metro App Ecosystem.

The common consumer will buy and iPad (especially with price reductions) or Android Tablet and sit, stand, or walk and read a book. And Microsoft would like them to buy a Windows 8 Tablet or Windows Phone. I don't disagree with that desire, I disagree they needed to take a step backwards in many areas on the desktop to do so. Microsoft would rather do everything in their power to try and insure success where they have failed previously.

I yelled out to her that if this was the first year of the automobile she would be the person riding a donkey for the next century.

Interesting analogy. Engine power is still measured in horsepower and the wheel hasn't changed in many many centuries. Things are rolling right along.

Because I work with a lot of people who have poor eyesight

But your claim was that anyone getting a large monitor does so not to use a high resolution and have several windows up on the screen, but just so they can have larger text. That's why I was confused. You seemed to be generalizing to everyone. I would assume that most people getting a large monitor do so exactly because they want to fit a lot of different windows and UI elements at once on the screen.