chief: ISPs to start policing copyright by July 12

This July major US Internet service providers will start assisting copyright holders in their fight against online copyright infringement. Major ISPs including Comcast, Verizon and Time Warner Cable will begin fulfilling their obligations under the terms of a Memorandum of Understanding signed last year, which will see the providers send out copyright infringement warnings to their millions of customers.

After years of painful negotiations, last June it was revealed that the RIAA, MPAA and some of the United States? largest Internet service providers had finally come to an agreement on action against unauthorized online sharing of copyright works.

The deal involves content owners, such as recording labels and movie studios, monitoring peer-to-peer networks including BitTorrent for copyright infringements and reporting instances to Internet service providers. The ISPs have agreed to take steps to ?educate? allegedly infringing customers through an escalating system of notices, warnings, and other measures.

http://torrentfreak.com/isps-to-begin-punishing-bittorrent-pirates-this-summer-120315/

Then these cable companies should also include educating it's customers in regard to placing a password on their wireless routers. There's 7 unsecured networks around me now, with 2 to 4 bar signals. This could mean an innocent person could end up paying stiff fines/going to prison.

Many who participates in these kind of activities doesn't do it through their home network, because all one has to do is drive around, the fruit is there for the picking. Yes, it's illegal, but so is downloading/using pirated software/movies/music, so those who are doing it aren't playing by the other rules also. When I'm not using my router, I cut it off, even though it's passworded access only.

Cat

Reminds me of a time I was on Time Warner. I got a warning notice due to "suspicious" activity on my network in terms of piracy and large downloading....

That week, mainly in two days, I bought a bunch of PC games for digital download, I think around 40GBs... Morons.

Now I am happily on MetroCast (no relation to ComCast), who's parent company is Harron Communications. Although they have ties with some of the bigger name companies, I asked them when I signed up if the company was going to employ piracy prevention and data limits, in which they said they would not, and do not monitor their users. How true this is, I do not know, but they seem to have a good track record.

Then these cable companies should also include educating it's customers in regard to placing a password on their wireless routers. There's 7 unsecured networks around me now, with 2 to 4 bar signals. This could mean an innocent person could end up paying stiff fines/going to prison.

Many who participates in these kind of activities doesn't do it through their home network, because all one has to do is drive around, the fruit is there for the picking. Yes, it's illegal, but so is downloading/using pirated software/movies/music, so those who are doing it aren't playing by the other rules also. When I'm not using my router, I cut it off, even though it's passworded access only.

Cat

Scared that they'll just ban routers or make them use routers provided by the ISP. I like it how it is, if people are dumb they're dumb.