How to reduce SSD partition?

Hi and hello.

I've got an OCZ Agility 3 120GB connected to my ASUS Crosshair IV mainboard. There are two partitions, one for Windows 7 (boot partition, system, swap file), and one for games. Now I wanted to reduce the system partition in order to add 20GB to my gaming partition. No problem, I thought, since there are more than 40GB of free space on the system partition. Well, disk manager won't let me, it says I can reduce only by 8GB.

Since I can't actually defragment the system partition (which I'd have done with a regular HDD), how can I reassign the space? Any clue? Any software compatible with SSDs? Thank you in advance.

Here's the thing.. Unless your going to delete your 2nd part and recreated it. You can not really do what you want with the built in disk manager.

Gone over this multiple times before, built in shrinks from the right and only expands from the right. Unless you make your disk dynamic you won't be able to take the unallocated space you make by shrinking C and expand D with it.

[---1st<--(shrink)---][unallocated][---2nd---(expand)->]

Your going to need to use 3rd party tool - sorry. Unless you just move stuff off your 2nd part and create new one and move it back. Which is simple way to do it, and should be no issue since you should have a backup of your files anyway. And clearly should have a backup before attempting any sort of dicking with partitions.

You could use Gparted, or free windows software easeus here http://www.partition...me-download.htm -- free is all that you need.

But who says you can not defrag a SSD? Sure its not a recommended thing, but you can still do it.

Thank you very much. Yes, I knew I'd have to delete the second partition, no problem with that. In fact, I even have a daily image from my boot partition, so if something went really wrong I could recover it without any problem. My only problem was how to shrink the first partition. I'm going to try the defragment option then, and if for any reason that won't allow me to get the 20GB I need to shrink the disk, I'm getting back here.

Edit: So I guess that was useless. After defragmenting the drive, I could shrink it by exactly the same size as before, 8GB. I guess I'll have to try and see if I can do better with Gparted.