GFACE: Crytek's "Facebook" for gaming

2is8iue.png

I must say, the concept of it is great. It's a site that allows you to connect with other gamers as well as play games. There's a strong emphasis on social networking which is why I think it's the Facebook of gaming. Whether that's a good thing or not remains to be seen. I just recently joined the closed beta and from what I can tell, the site is in its infancy. There's a lot of work that has to be done including the implementation of major features. One interesting feature is the public cloud. It's like Facebook's news feed but instead of seeing your friend's status updates/links, you see the comments of other people you haven't connected with. I thought it was great at first but then I noticed the spam comments. And once the site gets bigger, that problem will inevitably get worse.

Some people here may think that another gaming-oriented social networking site isn't needed. And by another site, I mean something other than Battlefield 3's Battlelog. It looks like the focus of GFACE is to support a variety of games ranging from 2D casual games to 3D games like Warface.

Although it's currently in a closed beta, they seem to be accepting a lot of new people. I applied and received an invite instantly. If you'd like one, you can apply

here. Also, you can read more about GFACE here.

Anyway, here's my account:

http://beta.gface.com/22001

EDIT: I just realized my post looks like an ad for GFACE. I assure you, I'm not doing this to advertise the site. I'm just bringing it to the attention of you guys (and girls?) here. :p

Just learned it through the Warface beta e-mail.

Looks good (Y)

I read about it awhile ago but I was reminded of it when I visited the website for Warface. It looks like the people that applied for the Warface beta received an invite for GFACE. I didn't receive an email about it though.

Firefox and Chrome only.

No.

I know right. :(

IE10 ain't supported. :wacko:

But hey, its still work in progress. Gotta give them some time

It's unfortunate that they don't support IE. Here's their reasoning:

But can I run GFACE?

GFACE utilizes the best cutting edge web technology available, like HTML5, CSS3 and websockets in order to provide you with an incredible user experience, quick load times and innovative features. Some browsers aren't up to the challenge yet, so we suggest you use the latest versions of Chrome and Firefox.

That's quiet dumb. What do they do that IE can't really support it?

IE9 has the lowest support for HTML5/CSS3, Firefox and Chrome offer the highest in both categories as well as a more similar standard. Not to mention supporting IE means supporting IE 9, 8 and 7.

That's quiet dumb. What do they do that IE can't really support it?

WebSockets would be the big one, IE10 does support it though so there's probably some other things.