People with really large screens: Do you use your windows maximized?

260 members have voted

1. 1. Maximizing - how much?

• Nothing gets maximized. Nothing!
    • Everything as large as I can get it, please!
    • Some select applications get the maximization treatment :P
  2. 2. In case you voted some get maximized - which applications?

• My browser
    • My productivity applications (PS, Office, Video Editor, Database, IDE)
    • Communication applications apart from Email (Messengers, Address book, ...)
    • Email application
    • iTunes / other media LIBRARY applications
    • Normal media PLAYERS (no big library, just drag and drop into application-style if you will)
    • Windows Explorer/Finder/Konqueror/Nautilus/...
    • Virtual Machines
    • Special use software (specify in comments)
    • Other application(s) (specify in comments)
    • -NONE-

I don't maximise application windows. Ever.

Me neither! My window that's always open is Firefox and it's sized so I can still see my most used shortcuts on the left, my Rainmeter sidebar at the right and other running tasks on top of it.

When I think of it, nowadays I don't even run games in fullscreen unless they offer borderless fullscreen because it's easy to chat etc that way^^

only have a 20" screen but everything get maximised in that, if im using laptop on the tv 42" to 50" then same maximised. Im not a huge fan of making windows small unless im trying to copy some code via learning if i had two screens it be easier and even then both be maximised.

50" @ 1920x1080 and I keep everything maximized...

/pets alt+tab

Is this you? AR5RY.png

That is what I picture when you have a 50" display at 1920x1080 and maximise everything. This isn't on your desk surely? You sit on a sofa 10 feet from the display right?

• Like 1

2x24" so I keep most major apps like browser, media, office, e-mail etc...but I keep things like Tweetdeck, messenger and explorer windowed.

Since I have 3 screens I find myself maximizing windows a lot more (on 1 screen of course) because of all the other space I still have. :p (not that large, 23")

I do use Alt-Tab a lot though. It's still a lot quicker than using the mouse.

Depends on the application. Three monitors; typically one has a web browser full screen, one has Visual Studio full screen (or whatever I'm primarily working/playing on at the time), and one has four applications "quartered", usually documentation viewers, a TV tuner, Outlook 2010 and a console.

Only thing I maximise is the browser, most of the time.

For the rest of it I like to utilise all this real estate and have several things open/visible at once. I need that for some of the work I do, that's why I have the large screen in the first place :D

in Mac OS, just the browser, and TextWrangler get the full screen treatment

in Windows, just Visual Studio, and some debug software gets full screen treatment

• 1 month later...

I maximize Chrome, Winamp, any Productivity App ( Photoshop, After Effects, Visual Studio, UDK, QtSDK ...) and any Game i play on my 24" Monitor.

For normal Explorer Windows I use Aero Snap to make them use half of the screen.

For any other app I leave them at their default state, with some exceptions of course.

I have 2 monitors (24" and 21" respectively), and I tend to have my main focus on the larger one maximised (in this case, Chrome), and on the 21", media (music or a movie).

I'm using my 32" secondary TV often as a monitor for my PC. I dont work on it so can't comment abour productivity softwares like Office. I'm using the diNovo mini to control the PC.

I never really feel like i need to maximize a window. Most of the time i maximize the browser. I also of course play games and watch movies in full screen. But that's about it. Everything else is in windowed mode (email, messenger, itune, wmp, ...).

2-22in monitors and i keep my browser maximized for the most part unless for some reason i have other stuff going on. and i keep notepadd++ full screened on the right display most of the time

browser yes = too many pront tabs open. most games yes, however other prorams like word excel, only half the screen

I woud tend to have some RD sessions wither full/half ... depends on what I am doing .... currently at 3x24"

• 2 months later...

i don't need to max anything unless i am playing back a HD video in which case you obviously want it running full screen.

but your typical application like a web browser i don't need it running maximized simply because it running in a window is like it's maximized anyways.

p.s. i got a 24" LCD @ 1920x1080.