Getting an Android for the first time. What tweaks do you recommend?

It seems wrong when the first step to buying an Android phone is "to root it and install xyz package".

The ability to custamize is better than being told how things are gonna look and having to put up with it, I've never bothered with any of this rooting stuff with my android but pro-choice regardless :)

It seems wrong when the first step to buying an Android phone is "to root it and install xyz package".

Not the first step for most Android users. The rooting community, while big, isnt as big as you may think.

And if I can root my phone, remove crap from the carriers and unleash the true power of the phone, then yes...that is one of the things I do first when I get a new android.

You can not root it if you want, in which case it's no more useful than an iPhone, but why buy an Android device if you're not going to take advantage of its strongest feature?

Besides, you might want to notice that the OP asked for mods and tweaks. Of course rooting is going to be mentioned, what did you expect?

First of all, thanks for all your responses guys!

I will keep my Galaxy Ace un-rooted for now to get the normal Android experience until I feel like I need to enhance it by using a custom ROM.

Secondly, I've got a follow-up question: I just ordered a 16GB micro SD card (currently got the stock 2GB card that came with the phone) and I'm wondering what the best/easiest way to transfer all the stuff from my current SD card to the new one is (primarily apps)?

Use a computer. Copy all the files from the microSD to your computer, then copy them all back onto the new card.

Use a computer. Copy all the files from the microSD to your computer, then copy them all back onto the new card.

That was my first thought but it seemed to easy ...

• 2 weeks later...

Since you guys have proven really helpful I'm gonna throw another question at you. What's the best way to change the default install location on my Android? Some apps install themselves to the internal storage location but I'd like them to install to the SD card instead, since the internal storage is quite small and my SD card is 16GB.

Thanks in advance.

Since you guys have proven really helpful I'm gonna throw another question at you. What's the best way to change the default install location on my Android? Some apps install themselves to the internal storage location but I'd like them to install to the SD card instead, since the internal storage is quite small and my SD card is 16GB.

Thanks in advance.

Used a program called app2sd on my factory install, which was pretty simple but did the job. Since then I've rooted the phone, installed MIUI and now it's just a matter of changing the default install folder in options.

Thanks in advance.

http://androinica.com/2010/08/how-to-install-apps-to-the-sd-card-by-default-on-android-2-2-froyo/

Might work for current OS' as well, not sure.

Rooted, installed ClockWorkMod, backed up with Titanium Backup and installed the "CyanogenMod 7.2 RC1 by vo-1 MIRACLE Edition" ROM successfully.

Now, I've got a little problem with battery calibration, probably because I didn't charge my battery to 100% before doing the CWB wipe/reset and ROM install.

I've looked up battery calibration but different articles/videos say different things.

So... can anyone, who has successfully done a battery calibration, give me a little tutorial on how to do it properly (Samsung Galaxy Ace, if it matters)?

Cyanogen 9 (or similar) ROM if there's one available definitely.

I'd also perhaps recommend Launcher7, I love it as my default launcher. You can also find flashable ZIPs which enhance the audio quality by adding the same engine the latest HTC phones use for their 'beats' audio.

Rooted, installed ClockWorkMod, backed up with Titanium Backup and installed the "CyanogenMod 7.2 RC1 by vo-1 MIRACLE Edition" ROM successfully.

Now, I've got a little problem with battery calibration, probably because I didn't charge my battery to 100% before doing the CWB wipe/reset and ROM install.

I've looked up battery calibration but different articles/videos say different things.

So... can anyone, who has successfully done a battery calibration, give me a little tutorial on how to do it properly (Samsung Galaxy Ace, if it matters)?

post-63271-0-51748600-1333858079.png