[.NET] Upload to Tumblr

Question

Hello gang,

A friend asked for a simple app to do bulk uploading to Tumbr. I could not find a Windows app that did this and so I started looking at the API and it stated that the Source value will only accept a URL, not a local file.

I thought about posting it to my site and then passing the url to the app, but that seems an excessive way to achieve this process. Any thoughts?

7 answers to this question

Why do you think you can't do uploads to Tumblr from your application without a web server? Are you using API v2?

According to the documentation you should be able to upload a URL encoded binary data block (up to 5MB at a time) to them directly...

See: http://www.tumblr.com/docs/en/api/v2#posting

Requiring a web server would really kill the ability to make decent mobile apps for Tumblr (well would make it a bit more complicated as you'd need a proxy in the middle, but you get the idea).

Thanks for the replies. Adding a web server to the app would be overkill, but thanks for the thought.

Frazell,

I will look into the ability to encode the data within the url. Everything I have found says Tumblr must have a URL, but that post says; "Yes, either source or data" Hummmm....

Why do you think you can't do uploads to Tumblr from your application without a web server? Are you using API v2?

According to the documentation you should be able to upload a URL encoded binary data block (up to 5MB at a time) to them directly...

See: http://www.tumblr.co.../api/v2#posting

Requiring a web server would really kill the ability to make decent mobile apps for Tumblr (well would make it a bit more complicated as you'd need a proxy in the middle, but you get the idea).

Yeah, I made the suggestion before reading the API documentation (as I believed the OP had already done this!)

URL-Encoded Binary in the 'data' param would seem to do the trick!