Rooting

first is rooting discussion allowed on neowin? (if not then lock at will)

The phone i want to root is my wildfire a few things i want to know are

A. will it breach my contract?

B. what are the benefits?

C. what is the best place to go for rooting?

D. I will back up before doing so but is it like a format and reinstall?

thanks!

first is rooting discussion allowed on neowin? (if not then lock at will)

The phone i want to root is my wildfire a few things i want to know are

thanks!

Technically it voids your warranty if you root/mess with custom roms/kernels. It is pretty easy these days to unroot and revert back to stock if need be tho. Benefits would be to apply custom roms/kernels that can get rid of the bloat apps, increase phone performance, and more. As far as where to go to learn to root, visit here. Just search the page for your phone. http://forum.xda-developers.com/

Yes probably. But it depends what you actually want to do. If you just want root, then you can easily un-root, but if you wanted to install custom roms then it's not as easy to get back to "stock".

Rooting will allow some apps to function better. You won't be able to remove default apps unless you install a custom rom.

forums.xda-developers.com

Yes, pretty much. However when I rooted my HTC Desire, all my data was saved. Rooting the Galaxy Nexus wiped all the data (I had to unlock the bootloader first).

Yes probably. But it depends what you actually want to do. If you just want root, then you can easily un-root, but if you wanted to install custom roms then it's not as easy to get back to "stock".

Rooting will allow some apps to function better. You won't be able to remove default apps unless you install a custom rom.

forums.xda-developers.com

Yes, pretty much. However when I rooted my HTC Desire, all my data was saved. Rooting the Galaxy Nexus wiped all the data (I had to unlock the bootloader first).

A: Wont do anything to the Contract (with a carrier) however, the Warranty is voided.

D: Depending on the method used you do not have to Wipe anything (if you keep the stock rom and simply add Root to the device, If you wish to add a custom ROM then you will be doing a Format/Reinstall using that ROM.

• 2 months later...

Thought i had a topic on this

Is

the safest way for ICS ?

Does rooting allow programs to access areas which they wouldn't be able to otherwise ? Ie Virus's should any turnup.

With My ICS 4.0.3

19100XXLPS

Whats the easiest and safest option, Do i need to install a kernal ( Is this the same as rom ) as im happy with it how it is i just want to be able to install root required apps.

Isn't there a program like the apple unlocks which just unlocks ?

Thought i had a topic on this

Is

the safest way for ICS ?

Does rooting allow programs to access areas which they wouldn't be able to otherwise ? Ie Virus's should any turnup.

With My ICS 4.0.3

19100XXLPS

Whats the easiest and safest option, Do i need to install a kernal ( Is this the same as rom ) as im happy with it how it is i just want to be able to install root required apps.

Isn't there a program like the apple unlocks which just unlocks ?

Search on xda-developers.com for a tool that is basically an MS-DOS window with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 type options. You click through and it'll tell you what it's doing and what to do next.

Can't speak for other phones but it's on the rooting section of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

The main benefit of rooting for me was just to kill the overload of ads but it messed with my FOTA updates so I just keep stock now (TF101)

Few cool things like custom overclocking kernels and clockworkmod recovery, but I think on a tablet at least, the benefits of staying stock outweigh the benefits of rooting in my experience

I can imagine having a rooted phone would be much more fun for causing havock with root apps like Wifi Kill in public coffee shops etc though

I can imagine having a rooted phone would be much more fun for causing havock with root apps like Wifi Kill in public coffee shops etc though

Been there, done that. Funny stuff! :D