VG247 has it on good authority that Crystal Dynamics is currently working on a full reboot of vampire series Legacy of Kain.

soulreaver.jpg

Crystal Dynamics is working on a reboot of ?Soul Reaver,? VG247 has been told.

Details are anorexic, but our source has claimed the game is a full reworking of the vampire action classic, and includes a new art direction.

We have been previously told the project was aiming for a reveal this year ? possibly at E3 ? but new information has warned this may not be accurate.

It?s unclear where the new game will lie in the IP, and whether or not Raziel or Kain will lead. The series itself is Legacy of Kain; Kain is a noble murdered and revived as a vampire who embarks on a crusade to kill his assassins and be restored to human form.

The protagonist of Soul Reaver ? the sequel to the series?s first title, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, which released in 1996 for PlayStation ? is vampire-turned-wraith Raziel.

Soul Reaver ? released in 1999 for PlayStation and PC, with a Dreamcast version following in 2000 ? was a much-loved action adventure, and spawned a direct sequel in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 for PS2 and PC in 2001.

Two more games followed: Blood Omen 2: Legacy of Kain in 2002 and Legacy of Kain: Defiance for PS2, Xbox and PC in 2003.

Aside from some PSN releases, the series has been dormant ever since.

Crystal Dynamics is currently working on Square?s Tomb Raider reboot for release later this year. The studio has also confirmed it?s readying to announced a new IP in 2012. We?ve been told today this is an XBLA game.

We?ve reached out to Square Enix for comment, but no reply had been received at the time of writing.

FWIW, Amy Hennig, the writer/director of the Soul Reaver games is now one of the leads for Naughty Dog on Uncharted.

This franchise and many others can definitely benefit from current cpu and gpu processing capability. The artist of the previous generation developed better game worlds and character development IMO. Will be great to see them revisited with modern graphics and animation.

By far the best story line a game ever had, IMO.

I am a huge HUGE fan of the series, & I hope they will make it for PC :)

But I hope they will use the same voice actors, because they were fantastic and set the bar high in terms of voice acting.

By far the best story line a game ever had, IMO.

I am a huge HUGE fan of the series, & I hope they will make it for PC :)

But I hope they will use the same voice actors, because they were fantastic and set the bar high in terms of voice acting.

Can't, Tony Jay (the voice of the Elder God) died about 6 years ago.

This would be cool. I liked the Soul Reaver game... I would give a remake a try. I'm not really sure about this new art direction they're talking about though, the game was really pretty in my opinion. In fact, the art direction I thought was one of the best parts of the game...

On a side note, it is so hard to believe how quickly they were able to pump out sequels back then. They literally would have a sequel out in a year for Soul Reaver, Tomb Raider, etc. Now it takes them several years (Which isn't necessarily a bad thing if the game turns out good, though I have my doubts about the new Tomb Raider)...

And as for the XBLA game, the Tomb Raider Arcade Game was really quite fun. I wouldn't mind a sequel to that...

I only ever played Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver on PS1, back when it came out years and years and years ago. I'd play a new one though.