Dubstep music: A new trend for video game trailers?

Thank god they only put it in trailers. If i had to play a game that had dubstep for most of its soundtrack, i don't think i could play the game. Imagine when Aerith died in Final Fantasy instead of playing her theme, they played some "banging" dubstep.

Which is a real shame. I'll admit, I'm definitely one of those people who got into Dubstep "when it became popular" - although I think it's personally more of a coincidence. I was searching around for new genres to listen to (outside of Metal) and Dubstep just happened to be there. Personally I think I arrived just before the cusp of it becoming popular, because of a lot of the tracks I was listening to I really liked. I'm a fan of music in general (now, anyway) and didn't need Dubstep to make me feel validated as a gangsta or anything ( :laugh: :laugh:) I just liked the beats.

However, after that initial foray into the genre I've noticed most of the new stuff is... average. It's following a monotonous samey-oldey beat that most rap songs do eventually, but the bigger problem being is that Rap has the luxury of being, well, rapped over. Dubstep doesn't, and a lot of the time it's painfully obvious. It's a shame that a genre I've just come to love is going down the ****** because of a bunch of middle class twats have ruined it and sucked the fun out of it from the pioneers of the genre, which means a severe lack of decent new material.

On a side note, it feels weird taking a "hipster" stance to the genre even though I'm a complete rookie haha.

I fully agreed with you until you dropped this sentence I marked in red.

Why? Because when you turn your back to something, because others you don't like come to like it too and abuse it, it's pretty much because of YOU if you stop producing it.

Why? Because you leave the stage to those suckers instead of keeping what you apparently love so much.

So, they ruin the fun? Seriously, I don't want to mess with anyone in here, I see why you come to abandon something because of suckers starting to abuse it, but that's actually the reason for there being no new and good stuff.

I can't stand the kindergarten mentality of "ohhhh! They have the same toy as me, too... I want a new one!!!".

With all due respect, grow up.

It's THIS way of thinking that ruins so many good things.

Original rap is dead because of it (you know, the one that was peaceful ones, now it's almost just all "gangstar rap") for an example.

Hell, I ADORE the Willy tunes from the 1990's! I want new rap beats of that kind!

Glassed Silver:mac

I agree with nik louch, Dubstep was ruined due to its fast rising popularity . Ive heard dubstep since back in 1999 but hasnt surfaced until the last year and a half or so over here. Now its everywhere and over played.

Can't say I like this kind of music. If it stays on trailers and doesn't start to seep into the games themselves then I guess I don't care that much.

The dubstep music kicks in at 1m 15s.

Grow up? Kids wanting new toys? No, I'm just bored of the cliche's associated with it.

Exactly, you're not bored of the toy (metaphor for dubstep), but because of what's associated with it - the sucker kids liking it and "ruining it" for you (metaphor for the craze and hype of people you don't like, the clich?s)

So instead of ignoring that, you throw the toy away and look for a new one that the suckers don't like or doesn't attract their company.

You could simply not give a damn about it. I acknowledge you apparently can't as it opposes how you work, but I'm just saying that you cannot blame the suckers when the "good guys" stop making something, simply because they don't like the new company.

That's ridiculous.

That's because you're all hipsters, I only use Tibetan Throat Singing in my montages and intros ;-)

I liked that before it was even a thing. I've moved on to Elk Song. It's awesome

alot of the 'dubstep' im hearing is simply dark ambient....anyways if you have good taste in dubstep you definately won't be listening to cr$p like Skrillex....

anyways if you have good taste in dubstep you definately won't be listening to cr$p like Skrillex

Couldn't agree more. And yes, a lot of what people post as Dubstep does have more in common with deeper ambient music than dubstep :)

Nothing new. Trailers used emo/punk music about a year after that became hugely mainstream.

As for the use of dubstep... I DJ a lot, and for a while ran a dubstep night just before it became mainstream (goddamn I sound like an arrogant git for that statement). Anyway... I loved Dubstep, I hoped it would be the new D'n'B, be a style that was gonna stand the test of time and be around for ages, going underground, resurfacing, etc. But no - it became a cliche for middle-class whiteboys to act "urban, durrty and gangsta". Going on and on and on about how dirty it is, how grimey and dark it is. Every wannabe producer started making "dubstep remixes" which all followed the same formula. As such, it doesn't surprise me that it became "one for the keyboard warriors". It's the posterboy genre for those with disposable income to act like they are a lot more "intense" than they really are.

I stopped playing dubstep for the above reasons. White, middle-class kids would all ask for me to drop some hugely dirty beats so they could wob wob wob and act like Miklybar gangstas. They'd act aggressive but be bricking it inside. They'd try to outdo each other with how many times they could refer to a mix as dirty as possible. It became a joke. Sure there's still some great dubstep out there, but these kids wouldn't know the difference. Some of the major dubstep pioneers have turned their back on it, and I can see why.

your post reminds me of this haha

12033123974436851_Lh6Vb4Qp_f.jpg

Nothing new. Trailers used emo/punk music about a year after that became hugely mainstream.

As for the use of dubstep... I DJ a lot, and for a while ran a dubstep night just before it became mainstream (goddamn I sound like an arrogant git for that statement). Anyway... I loved Dubstep, I hoped it would be the new D'n'B, be a style that was gonna stand the test of time and be around for ages, going underground, resurfacing, etc. But no - it became a cliche for middle-class whiteboys to act "urban, durrty and gangsta". Going on and on and on about how dirty it is, how grimey and dark it is. Every wannabe producer started making "dubstep remixes" which all followed the same formula. As such, it doesn't surprise me that it became "one for the keyboard warriors". It's the posterboy genre for those with disposable income to act like they are a lot more "intense" than they really are.

I stopped playing dubstep for the above reasons. White, middle-class kids would all ask for me to drop some hugely dirty beats so they could wob wob wob and act like Miklybar gangstas. They'd act aggressive but be bricking it inside. They'd try to outdo each other with how many times they could refer to a mix as dirty as possible. It became a joke. Sure there's still some great dubstep out there, but these kids wouldn't know the difference. Some of the major dubstep pioneers have turned their back on it, and I can see why.

this is a phenomenal post

this is a phenomenal post

Sarcasm? I know it comes off very "I was into them before they were famous", and I generally hate that attitude - but I've just never seen so many cliche's attach themselves to a genre so quickly as Dubstep.

How long does it take a dubstepper to clean his room? 1 hour to clean it and 2 more to explain how dirty and filthy it was!

Right I know what both mean.. I wasn't sure if you mean to refer to the overuse of the genre or the groups of people that have surrounded the genre. There's room for either word to work in what you've said. Just being clear.

Sarcasm? I know it comes off very "I was into them before they were famous", and I generally hate that attitude - but I've just never seen so many cliche's attach themselves to a genre so quickly as Dubstep.

How long does it take a dubstepper to clean his room? 1 hour to clean it and 2 more to explain how dirty and filthy it was!

nope! i clicked like on it too ;)

honest praise where it's due.

I fully agreed with you until you dropped this sentence I marked in red.

Why? Because when you turn your back to something, because others you don't like come to like it too and abuse it, it's pretty much because of YOU if you stop producing it.

Why? Because you leave the stage to those suckers instead of keeping what you apparently love so much.

So, they ruin the fun? Seriously, I don't want to mess with anyone in here, I see why you come to abandon something because of suckers starting to abuse it, but that's actually the reason for there being no new and good stuff.

I can't stand the kindergarten mentality of "ohhhh! They have the same toy as me, too... I want a new one!!!".

With all due respect, grow up.

It's THIS way of thinking that ruins so many good things.

Original rap is dead because of it (you know, the one that was peaceful ones, now it's almost just all "gangstar rap") for an example.

Hell, I ADORE the Willy tunes from the 1990's! I want new rap beats of that kind!

Would you want to keep making music in a genre that no longer recognizes you as having talent, while those with no talent soak up the spotlight? I'm pretty sure its not the most pleasant experience. Its not about "losing your toy", its about watching all your hard work be trampled on by the ignorant. Kinda like how the fine art community views/viewed "Modern" Art.

Kinda like how the fine art community views/viewed "Modern" Art.

Care to enlighten me about this? Or are you just spewing crap without having the remote idea of current art dynamics?

Anyway, dont answer that, rhetorical question.

Back to the thread: How I wish all game developers pay attention to music. They neglect it as a secondary, background thing. I miss the days of the original Silent Hill games or System Shock 2.

At least there are a few developers left who know how important music is, for example:

Would you want to keep making music in a genre that no longer recognizes you as having talent, while those with no talent soak up the spotlight? I'm pretty sure its not the most pleasant experience. Its not about "losing your toy", its about watching all your hard work be trampled on by the ignorant. Kinda like how the fine art community views/viewed "Modern" Art.

To answer your intended statement: Yes.

However, I must say that you put quite a bending of truth in there.

The same people who liked your tracks (be it many or not many, that is the denominator for you being either underground or way up there) you still have the same fans actually.

They still want YOU, now with the "suckers" in the game come new fans in that genre, they mix up things, but you're free to continue serving your fans who actually - as has been said by many original Dubstep fans in this thread - would adore to get new stuff.

Probably not cool to see the suckers take over, then again, if it's so different, brand it as another genre or live with the fact of living in a genre that widened.

Genre names is nothing you can register, if you don't like that and want your circle to be proprietary well... You're in a tough world then, indeed.

However that concept seems a little fascist to me. So it's open, okay... Still can claim them to be not part of your genre and be done with it?

That's funny... I've never seen a "new" dubstepper hate on an old (original) one.

I just haven't.

Maybe it's happening and that would be just bad, but it doesn't seem to be a common issue?

Uhm... No.