For You, What Day is the Start of the Week?

Days of the Week  

116 members have voted

1. 1. What Day of the Week is FIRST?

• Monday
    • Sunday

What day is the start of the week?

Despite what the dictionary says and what some "calendar and days scientific analyst" says, MONDAY is the start of the week for me.

It's called a weekEND for a reason. Otherwise why don't we call it a weekbeginning? Weekstart?

Working 12-hr rotating shiftwork, my first day of my 36 or 48 hour workweek changes every week. Most of the time I don't bother to pay attention to what day it is. Just count them.

Friday night was my first day and Monday night will be my last, off three days, then work 3 days, off one day, work three nights, off three days, then work four days, off seven days then repeat.

• Like 1

As much as people may say that Sunday is the first day of the week, I have to agree with the poll so far, it's Monday.

Saturday and Sunday are the days of the weekEND, which, to me, means the END of the week. So logically, Monday is the beginning of the week.

I've had this argument many times before :p

Why only two days to choose from?

These two days are considered to be the beginning of the week more than any others.

Sunday, like most NORMAL people!!

Why Sunday?

Why would you say it is abnormal for people who decide Monday?

Sunday. Every calendar I grew up with showed the week as Sunday-Saturday, so any that display Monday as the start of the week just look wrong.

I get that Saturday and Sunday are generally called 'the weekend', but that seems to be more perceptual than a physical requirement of how your calendar displays.

What if you have Tuesday and Wednesday off work? Does that mean your calendars should start on Thursday?

I don't get why people say Sunday is the beginning of the week.

My entire life through school had Saturday and Sunday off, and started again on a Monday, my whole working weeks had Saturday and Sunday off and started work again on Monday

Everything is shut on a Sunday, why would Sunday be the start of the week ?

Also Sunday is supposed to be the Sabbath right ? A day Christians are not supposed to work, so how could Sunday be the beginning of the working week ?

In my country, Sunday is officially the first day of the week, although the first work day is Monday for most people. Calendars start on Sundays. Weekends are comprised of the last and the first day of the week. :wacko:

It is a WeekEND becuase there are two ENDs, the Start and Finish of the week are ends. Sunday is the start of the Week, and Monday is the first working day of the week (or the Start of the standard "Working Week" which lasts from Monday to Friday). This is in Australia.

Monday. But it does not really make a difference as I don't work and everyday is a holiday! I just do a little freelance work now and then as a hobby, not for the money. :)

Monday. But it does not really make a difference as I don't work and everyday is a holiday! I just do a little freelance work now and then as a hobby, not for the money. :)

Can I borrow your life for a moment? Or many? :D

• Like 2

Can I borrow your life for a moment? Or many? :D

LOL! :D

My week starts on Monday (school, work, national days, etc), BUT I don't like looking at calendars that start on Monday. I like them to start on Sunday and I do the connection in my mind between Saturday and Sunday

Monday.

And the Sabbath is defined as Sunday, so I never understood others who see it as Saturday.

Sabbath is defined as being after the sixth day of creation. So after the 6th day ends, Sabbath starts. Depends on your point of reference to know when Sabbath starts. If you consider Monday as the point of reference as Christianity does, then Sunday would be correct. If you start from Sunday, then Judaism considers Saturday to be the Sabbath. Also Sabbath is open to interpretation when it starts and ends. Judaism goes by the end of the 6th day, with 'day' meaning to end at Sunset when it also becomes 'night', starting the Sabbath on a Friday night. Christianity goes by 'day' meaning end of the date, starting at 00:00:00 Sunday morning and ending 23:59:59 Sunday night