Any Android phone as smooth as Windows Phone?

Hi guys, I need a suggestion. I have been using Windows Phone (HTC 7 Pro) since last year. Now I would like to buy an Android phone (I never used it before PERSONALLY & iPhone is like 1000USD in my country). However, I have seen Galaxy S2 and Xperia Arc but user interfaces are not smooth like Windows phone.

So, Is there any Android phone which has very smooth UI?

i too have found the android sets i have played with (owning 1) the interface is just not as fluid as windows or ios, maybe tweaked some people have gotten it as smooth, but, what a hassle...

Nope. Android needs an overhaul in that department.

Some apps/launchers do better than others/stock though

True the launcher statement. I've used LauncherPro on my old Android phone, and it ran much smoother than the stock Froyo launcher. Same with apps. Specifically, my experience with music apps on android has been the following-the one that's built in lags like hell whilst loading album art, whereas 3rd party options ran much smoother. Granted, I used an entry level android smartphone, but still.

Android 4.0 ICS seems to be somewhat smoother than previous versions, but that isn't avalible on a lot of devices yet. The whole "not as smooth" thing could just be due to the fact, that Android doesn't have that many UI animations (bouncy scrolling etc.), and thus seems slower to the end user.

Really? No idea about the Stock launcher, but I use Zeam and have done for years, and it's way ahead of anything else, including what W7 setups I've tried.

Do you mean speed or general 'smooth features'?

The new phones, Xperia S and Nexus are said to be smooth. Because Timescape on the former runs better than other skins, and stock ICS on later is a new software with some additions and changes.

Haven't used Xperia S yet, but Nexus is arguably the smoothest Android I have ever used. On par with, lets say, Windows Phone and iOS, if not ahead of them. There are obviously some typical Android hiccups, here and there, but generally, its smooth

my main phone is a WP7 by LG but I also use a Samsung Galaxy Note - their flagship phone that was just released. No, it isn't as smooth as WP7. It does have a nice screen (if you can get used to the size) and is quite bright and attractive. But if you're looking for performance really nothing touches WP7.

I agree with the ICS statements here.

I've been using an ~?260 Atrix (ARMv7 2x1.00GHz, 1GB RAM) for the past 2 weeks running stock gingerbread 2.3.4, and the GUI is a laggy POS. My old ~?80 LG GT540 (ARMv6 600MHz, 256MB RAM) is a far more fluid experience after I flashed it to ICS. After enabling the force 2d rendering on it, the Spotify application for example is far more fluid.

So basically, I would say yes based on videos I've seen of WP as long as the device is running ICS.

I know I will get flamed for this but its true WP7 is way smoother than anything Android at the moment. I have a SGSII, Samsung Nexus and a Lumia 800 and the Lumia just feels way more fluid that either Android device. Having said that the actual loading on apps is some times slower on the Lumia, especially in some games.

• Like 1

I know I will get flamed for this but its true WP7 is way smoother than anything Android at the moment. I have a SGSII, Samsung Nexus and a Lumia 800 and the Lumia just feels way more fluid that either Android device. Having said that the actual loading on apps is some times slower on the Lumia, especially in some games.

I think if someone says otherwise they havent used anything other than Android. My 300 Mhz iPhone was smoother than my Droid X on Froyo through ICS and it really bugs me and a huge reason why I wont stick with Android.

My Kindle Fire is the same situation, not close to as smooth as the iPad. Im waiting for the ICS releases to get better before flashing those though and hopefully it can get better.

With WP and iOS the screen follows your finger, with Android its often like you are pulling it on a rubber band and its constantly stuttering as it goes.

• Like 3

I've used a HTC Radar and HTC Titan and both of those phones are smoother than a lot of the Android experiences I have tried.

That said, most dual-core Android phones are reasonably smooth, especially the Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note, Xperia S and Droid Razr. I expect that upcoming generation Android devices will also be quite smooth; I'm getting a HTC One X shortly for review and I'll see if Sense 4.0 is smooth over ICS

Hi guys, I need a suggestion. I have been using Windows Phone (HTC 7 Pro) since last year. Now I would like to buy an Android phone (I never used it before PERSONALLY & iPhone is like 1000USD in my country). However, I have seen Galaxy S2 and Xperia Arc but user interfaces are not smooth like Windows phone.

So, Is there any Android phone which has very smooth UI?

try galaxy nexus its smooth and a nice phone

The UI on WP7 is h/w accelerated which isn't the same on Android devices running Gingerbread and Froyo. If you want a phone as smooth as windows phone, I would say for galaxy nexus or HTC one series phone.

get an ICS phone to have a smooth experience... GB was not hardware accelerated but recents phone has better HW and ICS is HA. so would be better.

Dont really care about a little lag here and there. Every phone has it, including iPhone. I just like what I can do with android and that is why I use it. I can put up with a little hiccup here and there. ICS went a long way with making this better. I have a GNEX and it is really smooth. Apps, games, movies...all play smooth.

But most carriers, at least in the US, allow you to return a phone within a certain amount of days. So pick something, try it, and if you dont like it...try again.

• 2 weeks later...

My HTC Sensation just got the official update a couple of days ago and it feels alot smoother and snappier. It could be placeebo but I think it is genuinely faster. When I upgrade I will still be using Android and I suspect my other half will stay with Android too. However, still a few months left till that happens so who knows, perhaps I will change my mind.

Well, to answer your question, the Galaxy Nexus is most likely the closest you can get as far as stock software is considered at the moment.

Let's wait for CM9 to be pushed on other devices then we'll talk.

uhm.. not sure what you mean by smooth. I have an Atrix running a Custom 2.3.6 ROM it does everything fluidly. Using ZEAM Launcher I have 0 complaints.