• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#16 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,378 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:37

I think you're doing a lot of apologising for Microsoft here. He beat their test fair and square.

His phone was jail broken and modded to hell and back only to be fast at this ONE task. It proves nothing except you can mod your phone to make it a weather station able to show weather a fraction faster than a multi purpose phone.

Call me when he can do it faster on a OOB phone.

#17 Am_I_Evil

Am_I_Evil

Neowinian

• 858 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:41

this is the second story of this i've heard...

the first:

was asked what store he went to: (the following is the report)

Houston if you're trying to win using an android phone don't bother. I used a samsung skyrocket and beat the guy fair and square on the 4 star restaurant challenge. Pulled up google maps and found one right away. When it came up he said oh well it doesn't show directions where he showed me his phone which had no directions and said he won. I was like wtf? Yours has no directions as well. Then he goes oh there's no hours displayed. I'm like there's a store hours button right here on google maps. Afterwards he says that oh well mine displays store hours on the screen and because I had to push a button to show the store hours he wins.

He calls the manager and she says oh the windows phone gets to that screen in 1 button where your phone gets to all the information in 2 button presses so I lose. Biggest pile of crap ever. Then they have the nerve to say you're just trying to get the laptop and tell me I have to leave.

#18 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:48

This contest is like comparing a baked potato to a salad... everyone has different....

#19 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,868 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:49

Oh and also, he might be using third party app for the lock-screen, which obviously disqualifies him. For every OS, there are always two steps to get to homescreen, power button and lock screen thing.

I think they if he had some kind of different lock screen or another advantage, they would of mentioned that as the reason he was disqualified instead of saying the stupid BS they did.

These "challenges" are just gimmicks. Anyone picking the challenge clearly has the advantage. If someone doesnt check the weather much or even used the weather app/widget...then the person who picks the weather challenge knowing they have 2 widgets already setup will clearly win. So it's not much of a challenge. Just using this as an example. Should have a 3rd party pick the challenge.

#20 OP Vice

Vice

Bye!

• 15,877 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:49

His phone was jail broken and modded to hell and back only to be fast at this ONE task. It proves nothing except you can mod your phone to make it a weather station able to show weather a fraction faster than a multi purpose phone.

Call me when he can do it faster on a OOB phone.

To be honest it doesn't surprise me that you would reply like this because you defend Windows Phone a lot and own one. I own an iPhone but if Apple did this I'd call them on that **** in an instant. What they did was wrong. The guy won fair and square and this isn't the first time this has happened see post above this one from Am_I_Evil

And in my opinion Microsoft cheated anyway by not only setting up the competition with rules they knew ahead of time but by having their screen widgets already setup to show the time in two cities so they knew they would be the fastest. How many people really look at the time in two cities? I bet quite a small proportion. They are just sore losers because this city test was obviously one they believed they would win no question as probably a safety one against people they thought showed intelligence and might actually win.

Also FYI he says his phone is completely stock not rooted at all and the lock screen deactivation is a built in feature he didn't need to root for it (nor is his phone rooted or modified)

Posted Image

#21 Am_I_Evil

Am_I_Evil

Neowinian

• 858 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:51

why do people keep saying his phone was jailbroken? no lock screen is a standard feature of android as are widgets...

#22 foodan

foodan

Neowinian

• 32 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:51

Cannot be one-sided about this story yet guys. For all we know this guy has simply went on a butthurt mission to make Microsoft look like the bad wolf. We need evidences.

#23 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,378 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:55

To be honest it doesn't surprise me that you would reply like this because you defend Windows Phone a lot and own one. I own an iPhone but if Apple did this I'd call them on that **** in an instant. What they did was wrong. The guy won fair and square and this isn't the first time this has happened see post above this one from Am_I_Evil

According to HIM

And I'd say a lo of people look at the time in two cities, travelers, businessmen, students studying away from home, gamers gaming with friends in other states or countries....

#24 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,868 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:56

Jailbroken? I think you mean rooted. He has an Android phone.

With that said, how do you know he rooted and modded it to be better? There is no proof of that. And there are weather programs that install widgets to display different cities. No need to mod your phone to do that.

#25 OP Vice

Vice

Bye!

• 15,877 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:57

According to HIM

And I'd say a lo of people look at the time in two cities, travelers, businessmen, students studying away from home, gamers gaming with friends in other states or countries....

Of course according to him. Because it is Anti-Windows Phone this guy is obviously a liar. :rolleyes:

#26 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,868 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:03

Also FYI he says his phone is completely stock not rooted at all and the lock screen deactivation is a built in feature he didn't need to root for it (nor is his phone rooted or modified)

Posted Image

Yup,and here is what the screen looks. Just choose none to deactivate the lock screen.

Attached Images

• Screenshot_2012-03-26-02-01-26.png

#27 still1

still1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,990 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:05

According to HIM

but not necessarily all who come to the contest..
MS employee: lets set 2 weather details beforehand and make that the competition.
oh yeah smoked... How about i set the rules beforehand like opening 3 cities weather? obviously its me who will be winning

#28 still1

still1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,990 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:10

Yup,and here is what the screen looks. Just choose none to deactivate the lock screen.

I hate it when people just blindly say that phone is rooted and the lock screen is a 3rd party app not even knowing that it a stock feature of android.

#29 OP Vice

Vice

Bye!

• 15,877 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:13

I hate it when people just blindly say that phone is rooted and the lock screen is a 3rd party app not even knowing that it a stock feature of android.

I guess if Windows Phone is their first smart phone there will be a lot of basic things they aren't familiar with like being able to turn off a lock screen? :s

#30 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,868 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:22

I guess if Windows Phone is their first smart phone there will be a lot of basic things they aren't familiar with like being able to turn off a lock screen? :s

Been saying this since the tests started...like others. This is a gimmick...nothing more. You have an expert on a WP device dictating challenges to a mixture of people including novices. (and sorry, just because you attend tech events, doesnt make you an expert. I am sure a lot of novices took the challenge as well).

Here is an idea....say I am an Nascar driver. I challenge some soccer mom in a race on a track that I choose and we each have to use our own vehicles. I know the track and my car clearly has the advantage since it has been designed ahead of time for this challenge.. Who do you think will win?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!