gnome 3.4 linux desktop environment

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 ShMaunder

ShMaunder

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:47

You know, realistically I think I like it because I was never much taken with what I viewed as rather so-so efforts to try and replicate / spin OSX & Windows style interfaces, yet never look as good or a polished. But with 3.0 they really tried something that tried to make a break from that, and it was something a bit more unique and attention catching. (And easy to use from what I've experienced)

Also probably helps that I don't depend on Linux or Gnome to be my daily driver or care about it much at all, I just use it as a toy :p

Yea, I would call Gnome 3 a toy (for now). I've tried programming with it (namely swapping between eclipse, a terminal and documentation) and although Unity can sometimes be bad, Gnome 3.2 was a nightmare. There is just too much mouse movement required to swap between windows and I hate using ALT+TAB all the time.

Though looking at some of the latest 3.4 features, it looks like its taken a few things from Unity such as some windows no longer show the window control border when maximised. I love that feature in Unity when I'm using my laptop's small resolution screen.

#17 PsYcHoKiLLa

PsYcHoKiLLa

Views expressed are not necessarily those of the management

• Phone: LG Nexus 4

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:05

No thanks, I'll stick with Unity. Gnome 3 is fugly!

#18 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:44

No thanks, I'll stick with Unity. Gnome 3 is fugly!

Unity won't win any prizes for beauty either. :D

#19 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 09 April 2012 - 15:44

You know, realistically I think I like it because I was never much taken with what I viewed as rather so-so efforts to try and replicate / spin OSX & Windows style interfaces, yet never look as good or a polished. But with 3.0 they really tried something that tried to make a break from that, and it was something a bit more unique and attention catching. (And easy to use from what I've experienced)

Are you kidding me? They even copied OS X attached dialogue windows. The whole thing is pretty much one big Aqua/iOS mash up.

#20 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 09 April 2012 - 16:14

I gotta say, you need to try it before you make a decision. I wasn't a big fan of the look of Gnome 3.x when I saw it, and I even used it a little when it was in development, and possibly the first version of it, but I stuck to Unity for the most part. When 3.4 came out, I used the PPAs to install it on Ubuntu 11.10 and I must say I really do enjoy it. It works far better than I thought it would, and I don't have the most capable machine either. It's certainly NOTHING like OS X, unlike what .Neo said. But if it was, that wouldn't be a bad thing either. It does give a completely unique feel compared to other GUIs, but it doesn't really take too much getting used to. I find it changing the way I do things in good ways. For example, half the time I prefer to change windows using the activities view rather than alt-tab, especially for windows across multiple desktops. It's quick and smooth. It's still to this day the only Linux GUI that makes me feel like I'm not using a computer from 1990. I know that will rile some people up, and I know it's all personal opinion, but KDE, XFCE, etc all seem like crap to me.

#21 andy_rose

andy_rose

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 11 April 2012 - 19:36

ok when searching software center in ubuntu, do i install the whole gnome package or is it enough to install just the gnome shell package?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!