AT&T, Lumia 900:

I have a Lumia 800 and fail to see how the 900 will be "Top Range".

Compared to its US Counterpart in the UK there is no NFC. It's just a bigger version of the Lumia 800 with minor improvements and a FFC. That's not what I would call Top range.

Having said that IMO the Design of the Lumia's is amazing. Beats any Android out there and iPhone. Just holding the Lumia 800 in your hands feels great and the size is perfect.

In respect to Apollo I hope they release a Lumia 8xx with same design/dimensions, FFC, NFC, Camera/Audio/Battery Improvements and larger screen resolution. I am not a big fan of bigger phones, previously having a HD7 I was over the moon when I was offered a Lumia 800 as an insurance replacement due to the HD7 being discontinued!

I think with a 16MP camera it would be top range, but 8MP with a Carl Zeiss Lens ain't too shabby. FFC is important for skype and Mobile Lync with Enterprise Voice/Video.

What is your idea of top range, don't tell me dual cores. Don't blame Windows Phone because it doesn't need it to outperform all dual core phones. Right now all dual cores do is run down your battery. 1080p, really? Yeah, that's what I need on my 4.3" phone.

I think with a 16MP camera it would be top range, but 8MP with a Carl Zeiss Lens ain't too shabby. FFC is important for skype and Mobile Lync with Enterprise Voice/Video.

What is your idea of top range, don't tell me dual cores. Don't blame Windows Phone because it doesn't need it to outperform all dual core phones. Right now all dual cores do is run down your battery. 1080p, really? Yeah, that's what I need on my 4.3" phone.

What on Earth possessed you to write that? :/ You do realise that I have owned a WP7 phone since they launched and perfectly understand that dual cores are not needed. Heck 1.4GHz on the Lumia 800 was overkill. My HD7 had a 1GHz cpu iirc and that was lightening fast.

The Lumia 900 might be a top of the range device for Nokia but when comparing it to the Lumia 800 what exactly is the difference and does the difference warrant it to be slapped with the flagship badge?

It's just a beefed up version of the Lumia 800, with FCC, with NFC (Not in UK), 4G (Not in Europe). To me personally with such small improvements I do not and would not class it as a Top of the Range phone. Funnily enough I won't be seeing NFC or 4G in the UK. All we will get is a larger phone (which I am not a fan of as the Lumia 800 is perfect in size for me) and a faster HSDPA connection which I highly doubt any of the carriers will be able to utilise to its potential anyways :laugh: The display is no longer pentile which is great, my biggest annoyance with the Lumia 800 is the display of it I can see the little lines and pixels and its annoying as hell because my previous phone (HD7) which is supposed to be inferior and have a larger screen size did not have this problem. So moving away from a pentile display was good and can be considered as an improvement.

For it to be a flagship in my eyes it should have had a 32GB model, hell the N9 which is what the Lumia family design is based off had a 64GB variant and NFC and a FCC (all crammed into the same shell as the Lumia 800). Not everyone is a big fan of the cloud or skydrive so using that as an excuse not to have a larger capacity than 16GB is pathetic. With Apollo Microsoft will be looking into expandable storage but that's in the second half of the year and not doubt Nokia will have had enough time to come out with a truly awesome phone worthy of having the flagship label stuck onto it. In addition to that they should not have left out NFC from the European version, at a time when NFC is starting to take off its kinda annoying that Europe gets discriminated like this

The camera improvements over the Lumia 800 do look fantastic, however its the same camera module and the improvements were with the software/algorithms so this should also be passed down to the Lumia 800 also. Although it would have been nice to see if they could have put a better camera module in there. Here's hoping for an Apollo Nokia Phone with Pureview.

At the end of the day its more of the same, not a massive improvement or jump in specs and for that reason in my eyes it does not qualify as a top range phone. The phone itself no doubt will be great just like the Lumia 800 is, its lush, a real pleasure to hold but with features other smartphones have had for some time missing on the Lumia this iteration misses out on that title I reckon.

The camera improvements over the Lumia 800 do look fantastic, however its the same camera module and the improvements were with the software/algorithms so this should also be passed down to the Lumia 800 also. Although it would have been nice to see if they could have put a better camera module in there. Here's hoping for an Apollo Nokia Phone with Pureview.

The 12070 update takes slightly better pictures. I think the camera in the 900 and 800 are similar so you may see future updates that improve the 800's picture quality.

What on Earth possessed you to write that? :/ You do realise that I have owned a WP7 phone since they launched and perfectly understand that dual cores are not needed. Heck 1.4GHz on the Lumia 800 was overkill. My HD7 had a 1GHz cpu iirc and that was lightening fast.

The Lumia 900 might be a top of the range device for Nokia but when comparing it to the Lumia 800 what exactly is the difference and does the difference warrant it to be slapped with the flagship badge?

It's just a beefed up version of the Lumia 800, with FCC, with NFC (Not in UK), 4G (Not in Europe). To me personally with such small improvements I do not and would not class it as a Top of the Range phone. Funnily enough I won't be seeing NFC or 4G in the UK. All we will get is a larger phone (which I am not a fan of as the Lumia 800 is perfect in size for me) and a faster HSDPA connection which I highly doubt any of the carriers will be able to utilise to its potential anyways :laugh: The display is no longer pentile which is great, my biggest annoyance with the Lumia 800 is the display of it I can see the little lines and pixels and its annoying as hell because my previous phone (HD7) which is supposed to be inferior and have a larger screen size did not have this problem. So moving away from a pentile display was good and can be considered as an improvement.

For it to be a flagship in my eyes it should have had a 32GB model, hell the N9 which is what the Lumia family design is based off had a 64GB variant and NFC and a FCC (all crammed into the same shell as the Lumia 800). Not everyone is a big fan of the cloud or skydrive so using that as an excuse not to have a larger capacity than 16GB is pathetic. With Apollo Microsoft will be looking into expandable storage but that's in the second half of the year and not doubt Nokia will have had enough time to come out with a truly awesome phone worthy of having the flagship label stuck onto it. In addition to that they should not have left out NFC from the European version, at a time when NFC is starting to take off its kinda annoying that Europe gets discriminated like this

At the end of the day its more of the same, not a massive improvement or jump in specs and for that reason in my eyes it does not qualify as a top range phone. The phone itself no doubt will be great just like the Lumia 800 is, its lush, a real pleasure to hold but with features other smartphones have had for some time missing on the Lumia this iteration misses out on that title I reckon.

OK, fair enough. but 32/64GB is probably not coming for $99 :) But here, where some of us have no access to a Lumia (AT&T) the 900 is the current flagship. More memory is always good.

Have any people who pre-ordered the 900 gotten any sorta email or notification that it's shipped to them already? The talk was that some or all pre-orders will go out starting on the 5th.

Have any people who pre-ordered the 900 gotten any sorta email or notification that it's shipped to them already? The talk was that some or all pre-orders will go out starting on the 5th.

The people who pre-ordered it have already got their devices, or it's on the way.

Just picked up my Black one today. Initial impressions.... HECK YEAH!!! Can't wait to dive in deep with this later on today!

Still too expensive for what wp7 offers. Better wait for wp8.

Yes, $99 > $199, $299, $399. :|

You're going to have to be more specific about what you want. I have my own reasons for choosing iPhone over WP7 at the moment such as the camera, apps, and better backup solution.

• Like 1

I agree with the poor naming convention of the device. In my opinion they should've named it something separate if they were touting a revolutionary product. Apple do the naming convention really well. It's easy to remember every product since the iPhone was produced. I can't say the same for an Android/Windows phone so far.

However, I really hope this device does perform and sell well. Apple has done well but I would like an equal or at least one strong competitor to keep them on their toes. It'll push phone design faster and ensure than consumers get the best they can offer at an acceptable price.

Lumia 900 is an interesting phone, I want to try one out to see how it feels before passing any personal judgement.

I ended up selling the iphone 4 and buying this without contract. This way I get in the door and can have options when WP8 comes out. Very solid phone though, I am loving the Nokia 900 so far.

I ended up selling the iphone 4 and buying this without contract. This way I get in the door and can have options when WP8 comes out. Very solid phone though, I am loving the Nokia 900 so far.

People, a couple of my friends including, were complaining a thing or two about the 800' physical design. Personally, I found it as close to perfection as it can get, but they said, it has holding issues or whatever.

How is the 900 holding up in the hand? In your personal experience, against the 4?

It's a little bigger in the hand than the iPhone, but he buttons seem to be easy enough to work. I actually find the WP onscreen keyboard easier to use and more accurate. That could be due to the larger screen size though...

Hmmm thanks, and are you feeling, a bit..., disappointing on leaving the Retina display? Disappointing might not be the right word, but I think you got it. How' the display?

A notch above..... bahahah, AT&T. You crack me up every day. Can't wait to leave your service.

:s

Sure, it might not be at the same height as the 4 or 4S, for some people, but I don't think the statement is something to laugh at.

Based on the experience from 800, its the best thing I've ever used alongside the 4 and a couple of others

Hmmm thanks, and are you feeling, a bit..., disappointing on leaving the Retina display? Disappointing might not be the right word, but I think you got it. How' the display?

I don't yet have enough time on the phone to decide on display quality. I did see some images from FB, and the images were very clear. I haven't played any games or used too many apps yet. I had to come to work and leave the phone off. I'll post more impressions as I use it. It is very bright, even in direct sun.

:s Sure, it might not be at the same height as the 4 or 4S, for some people, but I don't think the statement is something to laugh at. Based on the experience from 800, its the best thing I've ever used alongside the 4 and a couple of others

It's just the way AT&T deals with things. I've gotten really tired of it by now. Honestly, I feel the Nokia WP phones look like toys, and they certainly aren't anything AMAZING. They may do their job well, and WP7 is alright, but to say it's a notch above anything they've ever done before is a bit ridiculous to me.

Definitely just opinion btw. No one has to agree. The Lumia 900 does seem a lot better than their previous offerings, but it just doesn't do it for me. The excuses that Windows Phone fans come up with are quite amusing. They always come back with "yeah well we dont need that" to every lacking feature. Well guess what, you don't NEED a cell phone at all, but where would MS be if they kept their phones up with others? Instead of just hanging around, still losing market share, maybe they would actually be beating others? Windows Phone certainly isn't nearly as fast as iPhone or Android, it just has smooth hardware rendering and has fairly lightweight apps because of the Metro styling that make it run well. That's not a bad thing, but it shows that they can use that room for improvement, and they don't.

The Lumia 900 is a nice phone, especially at it's price range, but it's far from a notch above everything else.

So far, with the few camera comparisons out there, I think the lumia 900 is very close to iPhone 4S level. In the end it just depends on how you feel about the colors etc, it's at a point where it's pretty subjective.

I agree about the backup solution though, something that MS will address with WP8, or so the rumors say. Hell, just give me a way to do a full backup with apps and texts etc and not just the OS. Also a good way to do a phone to phone migration for when I buy a new one so I don't have to redownload and install all my apps again.

As far as apps between the two platforms, ehh, I honestly don't use many and right now off the top of my head I can't think of something I'm missing on WP. But better apps should come with WP8, specially if the rumor of WinRT/native code access holds.